Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first ar15 was a Palmetto State Armory freedom mlok upper with stainless barrel I bought a few years back, and my 2nd one is a midlength upper with an FN barrel thats chromelined and marked cold hammer forged. I have replaced the bcg with a BCM, also replaced the buffer spring and weight to an H2, running a mepro m21 fiber optic/tritium sight. I assembled my lower on a stripped receiver from the PSA premium kit.

I am not originally part of the AR15 world, I came over from AK's and Commie guns or AK designs like the Galil. At least during the earlier to mid 2000s, it seemed the criteria was Century Arms Romys were looked down on, Serbian or Yugo SKS and Aks lacked chromelining, and the desirable ones were Maadi, Romy G kits, Hungarian, etc. Never heard anyone call an AKM useless as they all had the same stamped receivers with exception of the earlier heavier milled receivers.

The options for AR15s were pretty much Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, Olympic Arms with some lower options like DPMS and Stag Arms. I didnt even realize there was a difference.

When I came back to firearms around 2018, I noticed a bunch of companies I previously never knew about, PSA, Aero Industries, BCM, Bear Creek Arsenal, Diamondback, Del-ton.

Maybe its just reddit or facebook drama but I have run across a lot of people that absolutely hate Palmetto with a passion calling it low quality garbage, even with parts switched out, I have heard every argument that they arent to spec, they parts are Metal injected molded or even the FN barrels are lower quality discarded 2nd rate barrels. I have found this not to be the case for the FN which they released documentation that it is to their quality standards. Arguments claim canted sights, overtightened barrel nuts using anti seize, the list goes on.

Am I missing something or is there a justified dislike or hatred for PSA?

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
My first AR was bought from then. At the time, I couldn’t build it for what they were originally offering a complete rifle with an Aimpoint optic. One of the members here had posted a link to it years ago and that’s how I first learned of them and bought the rifle. That gun has been great for all these years. I’ve bought two additional lowers and one rifle kit, one pistol kit for them. I was missing a spring on one of them. Call customer service and they had the missing part in the mail to me that same day. Never had an issue with them. Bought my first Sig P365 from them.

I’ve had nothing but great service and fast shipping from them. They are on my preferred internet gun places to check when looking for things. Wouldn’t hesitate to order anything from them at any time.

I think they are a great company.

YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
31,887 Posts
My first AR was built from PSA components on an Aero Precision Receiver. Never had any issues with them. 🤠

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have a PSA AR with a long barrel and scope. Admittedly I don't have enough ammo through it to give an opinion. However, one of the most careful and picky AR shops in Jax stocks nothing else on the low end.

I have two Dagger 9s recently acquired, both the basic factory and my cheap brew have worked flawlessly with 115 gr ball aluminum case and brass case ammo. Neither has had a glitch, I need more range time as I have turned one into a "Roni Gun."

On my late lamented range there was a gun who complained about his PSA...turned out to be a PSA upper on a plastic copy of an AR receiver. I forget the brand. The RSO told me later it was the long buffer in a short stock and there was a crack in the rear of the receiver.

Geoff
Who is amazed the plastic thing even chambered.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I ordered one and after 15 days it had not shipped while talking to them he let slip that it was not even assembled so I canceled my order and never ordered anything else from them since.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Never had any issues, and I have 8 of their lowers.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
I have an older Bushmaster with carbon fiber lower and upper receivers, fore end and butt stock.
It runs flawlessly, has a stainless barrel, and weighs a total of four pounds; which is why I bought it. Total round count on it is 800 - 1000 rounds.
It weighs less than the .44 mag revolver that it replaced; and is a great swamp gun.

I may have an old pic of it…

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
627 Posts
I ordered one and after 15 days it had not shipped while talking to them he let slip that it was not even assembled so I canceled my order and never ordered anything else from them since.
Was that pre-Covid or since March 2020? Just curious, cuz just about everything in my industry has been a real beeeeech to get since then.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
It was a long time ago 10 years or more, I bought a high end colt and had it in 2 day's. It was probably a rare happening but it pissed me off and they lost me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts