Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's open, and I went! After waiting some 8 years!

I called this morning to see if I could make a reservation (required at this time). They open at 8am. But, they didn't answer the phone until 8:35am. Don't know why. Maybe someone forgot to turn off the voice mail (which, according to the automated message, hadn't been set up). I kept calling every 5 minutes until they answered.

The person who answered the phone was very nice and asked me what time I'd like. 11 am it is. I was told to arrive 30 minutes early to check in and watch a mandatory safety video.

At the entrance they had a guy under a tent stopping the cars to verify if you had an appointment. The folks ahead of me apparently didn't. Once I verified I had an appointment, he directed me to drive all the way down the facility road to the building on the right. This is the building:

I went in and was impressed right away. A man at the entrance directed me to the conference room to watch the mandatory safety video, which was about 15 minutes long. It's on continuous loop, so you just jump in and watch it until it loops back to where you started. At the conference tables, they had a form to fill out while you watch the video. After the video, you go over to the room where they have the admin counter and a store. The store has things like targets, eye / ear pro, and other shooting supplies. They also have a cooler full of drinks.

The folks at the counter were very nice and professional. I got checked in. Paid. They gave me a little "ID tag" with a bar code that fits on your keychain. You use it to check in in the future, and it tells them you've been through the safety video. I also got a wrist band marked with my destination range (100 yard rage) that identifies you as paid to the RSO at that range.

Back in the car and down to the 100 yard range. On the way, I drove past the 10-yard and 25 / 50 yard pistol ranges. I was surprised to see the range fairly "busy" for a week day. There were about 8 - 10 people at the 50 / 100 yard rifle range. I parked right next to it.

The range was hot when I arrived. Before I unloaded anything, I went over to the RSO and identified myself, asking what I need to do next. He pointed me over to bench #5 and told me I could bring my gear over. I was able to set up while they were still hot.

Then the range went cold (every 15 minutes). I got a cardboard backer and took it to the target frame, which was at the 100 yard line. I moved it back to the 50 yard line, so I could start to zero my new optic on my SCAR-16.

The range went hot again, and I was off to the races. The RSO was all business, but also very nice. They run a safe range. They insist you follow the hot / cold range rules... stay behind the line, don't go to the bench when cold, etc, etc. But, no "range nazi" behavior. Later, another RSO relieved the first RSO. He was also very nice. So far, I will say the RSOs were great!

I set my first target up backwards (all white) with an orange bullseye sticker on it. I was hoping that my bore laser would be picked up by the white background. Sure enough, it did... FAINTLY visible in the sunlight, but visible enough. I was able to see it well enough to adjust my optic turrets to coincide with the laser dot. Bore sighting through the SCAR would have required me to field strip the rifle, which isn't that hard, but I just didn't want to do that unless I had to. I wanted to be sure to get on paper. They have a rule about hitting the target frames.... can get you in "trouble."

Apparently, my laser wasn't perfectly seated in the muzzle, but it was close enough that my first live fire shots were on paper. Then, I walked the shots into the bullseye at 50 yards.

Next I moved the target out to 100 yards. They have PVC pipes buried in the ground where the target frame legs go. There is a target number plaque between the PVC pipes for easy identification.

When I moved the target to the 100 yard line, I put up one of my own Shoot-N-C targets to confirm zero at 100. I also put up the "official" range target to get the "qualification" out of the way for the 200 yard range next time. To "qualify" for the 200 yard range, you have to get 3 out of 5 rounds in the 6-inch circle of the white target (below left). You only have to do it with one rifle, not each rifle. So, I did it with my SCAR-16.

After that, I did one more target with the SCAR and new Primary Arms 5X Prism Scope. Nothing to write home about. But, it's not a precision rifle. :) No doubt, the new optic has me shooting a tighter group than I would have with iron sights.

After that, I switched over to my Ruger Precision Rifle to get a little trigger time on it with what little ammo I had for it. I won't post all the targets, but I did pretty decent with it. This was my FIRST time ever shooting on a bench. All my precision shooting has been prone! I had heard the dynamics are different between bench and prone, but I really had no idea HOW different it was! Fortunately, the benches are rock solid and big enough to accommodate precision rifles, which are typically longer than most rifles.

OK... I just got a pop-up that the forum only allows 10 images in a post. So, continued in next comment.

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My first group! 1/2-MOA! I'll take it.

The rest were a mixed bag... some good, some not so great. I haven't measured them all, yet. But, here are the two targets I shot.

By this point, I had been there for nearly 3 hours. Long enough. Time to go home.

I give the Palm Beach Shooting Sports Complex an "A-". The only reason for the "minus," is that they don't offer prone shooting. But, overall... I'm very pleased. I look forward to going back!

I'll post a few more facility photos that I took on my way out in the next comment.

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took these photos on my way out.

The 300 yard range is not open, yet.

·
Super Moderator
26,574 Posts
Great AAR, racer! Glad to hear the RSOs were professional and nice. Bummer about no prone shooting, but I can tell you from experience that a baffled range has to be designed for accomodating prone shooting. My club range back in the DPRofMD had a problem they didn't understand at first, but we showed them the math that made them realize they had to make changes to the range and prohibited prone shooting until shooting positions and range rules would accommodate.

Againg, great AAR! (y)

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't get around to taking photos of the pistol ranges or the shotgun ranges.

I think the shotgun ranges are still under construction. But, I saw some of it from a distance, and they look impressive!

This is a first class facility. A year or so ago, when I went to the meeting about the range, they mentioned that they want to attract international-level shotgunners for competitions.

One thing the county will need to do is improve the road... the Pratt Whitney Road extension is unpaved... about 3 miles of dirt road that looks like it's been hit with cluster bombs. It's ROUGH. Really rough!

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Most interesting. No prone, what about standing up at your bench and shooting?
tables look baron, do they have rifle rests one can use if their gun doesn’t have a bipod?
what are those overhead baffles made of, wood?
Place looks great.

last and most important DO THEY GOT FOOD? Shooting makes me hangry!
I need hammmmmburgers!!!

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most interesting. No prone, what about standing up at your bench and shooting?
tables look baron, do they have rifle rests one can use if their gun doesn’t have a bipod?
what are those overhead baffles made of, wood?
Place looks great.

last and most important DO THEY GOT FOOD? Shooting makes me hangry!
I need hammmmmburgers!!!
I honestly don't know about standing position rifle shooting. I know I didn't see anyone doing it. I have my doubts that they allow it. But, easy enough to ask an RSO, eh?

The pistol shooters were standing.

I didn't see any rifle rests at the range itself. They may have some for sale in the store... I don't know. Most were using bipods, but some shooters were using bags as rests.

The baffles appear to be made of wood with a "plate" of some kind over it. Looked like some sort of synthetic material.

I didn't see any food service facility. The only thing I saw were some snacks (cold drinks and maybe other stuff... I didn't pay a lot of attention) in the store. I agree it would be nice if they had a "food shack" out there. Or maybe allow food trucks! It's a bit remote, so there aren't any restaurants nearby, either.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic recon. Thanks Racer.
Let me guess: Every other lane blocked off due to COVID?
Yep. But, even with that, it never got crowded. The rule is that if they have shooters waiting in line, they will limit shooting to 1-hour... or start by cycling out the shooters that have been there the longest.

Today, I shot for 3 hours, and when I left it was almost empty.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Excellent write up! I like what I’m reading so far. Yes, bummer on the prone shooting but, maybe in the near future.

Too bad I didn’t get an invite, I would of called out sick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I like to shoot standing sometimes. You won’t always have a rest or place to set your rifle. Plus it’s a fun challenge.
May have to call and see if they have sandbag for resting guns without bipods? Elbows get soft after a while.
Kinda bummed that after 8 years they couldn’t have built a small restaurant/grill on the premises, especially since it’s so remote with nothing near by it.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too bad I didn’t get an invite, I would of called out sick!
Ha! I made the decision to go last night, and I figured the other "amigos" were working. :p

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like to shoot standing sometimes. You won’t always have a rest or place to set your rifle. Plus it’s a fun challenge.
May have to call and see if they have sandbag for resting guns without bipods? Elbows get soft after a while.
Kinda bummed that after 8 years they couldn’t have built a small restaurant/grill on the premises, especially since it’s so remote with nothing near by it.
Who knows... maybe in future plans? They're not done with construction.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All this crying about not being able to work and you take a work day off to go shooting? Hmmm? 😬
Ha! What's your point?

Makes no sense to be AT work when there's NO work to be DONE, eh? Might as well go have some fun. 🙃

BTW, I haven't worked on Fridays for many years.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I couldn't resist running my RPR targets through the group size app. Not bad. All 10 groups are sub-MOA. Three of them in the 1/2-MOA range, with one of those officially (just barely) sub-1/2-MOA.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It dawned on me today how much I really enjoyed and NEEDED some trigger time. Almost 3 months (shy by a few days) since my last range trip! It really is therapeutic. I just ordered some ammo for my precision AR-15. I'm out of ammo for both my precision rifles. But, I've still gotta watch expenses.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
re:
I didn't see any food service facility. The only thing I saw were some snacks (cold drinks and maybe other stuff... I didn't pay a lot of attention) in the store. I agree it would be nice if they had a "food shack" out there. Or maybe allow food trucks! It's a bit remote, so there aren't any restaurants nearby, either.

Not exactly sure where this range is but if it is on the "extension" to Seminole Pratt Whitney road there is a small shopping center at the intersection of ORANGE and Seminole Pratt Whitney (about 2 miles south of Northlake Blvd). Pizza, Burger, bar/restaurant Publix, Welgreens etc.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
re:

Not exactly sure where this range is but if it is on the "extension" to Seminole Pratt Whitney road there is a small shopping center at the intersection of ORANGE and Seminole Pratt Whitney (about 2 miles south of Northlake Blvd). Pizza, Burger, bar/restaurant Publix, Welgreens etc.
Yes... that's the closest business. There's one restaurant there.... though I've never been to it, and I live only a few miles from it. The range is 5 miles due north of the Publix center. 2 miles of it is pock-marked dirt road. Like cluster-bomb pock-marked!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts