Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently started carrying everyday and I've been so during cutting the grass, landscaping and just working around the house. I carry IWB and sometimes even forget its there because its just so comfortable I dont even feel it so it doesnt bother me at all. I was just wondering, am I the only crazy one doing this? Or is everyone with me on this one?

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
I absolutely carry while working in the yard...in fact, this topic was being discussed on another forum and several individuals thought that those of us who do so were paranoid. We tried to point out that you are extremely vulnerable while doing yard work...you're using noisy equipment, possibly wearing an ipod or hearing protection, distracted, etc. Anybody could just walk up on you, assuming that your yard isn't completely fenced in.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Paranoid? No Alert and ready yes

I'm Also in agreement nothing wrong with carrying during yardwork or anything else around the house.The Bgs are not going to phone ahead to make an appointment to do you and your family harm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Put me on the list. Crazy, insane, paranoid, extremist, funny or just plain weird. I'm just happy to be alive to be on that list.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Count me in that class too...I always carry, I just feel strange without a gun on my person. When I get home I put my S&W 642 in the pocket of my shorts and put a G29 on the end table in the living room. There are other weapons throughout the house. I wont even open the door to let the dogs out back without at least the 642. There has been a major increase (imho) in robberies and other crime in my city, the powers that be deny it, but I have lived here for over 27 of the last 30 years and can tell you that it is. I also live in an area that when I bought my house 10 years ago was safe as any, but now is within a 1/2 mile of regular home invasions, robberies, and many burglaries. If I wasnt in a college town and in proximity to the university, my property value would be in the tank thanks to these worthless scum perps!

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
Well, count MamaBear as one of those who will carry everywhere legal. Right now I'm counting down the days until my license gets here (should be the first week of October) and I've been carrying everywhere in the house to get used to it and to get the kids used to it as well.

I'm making it a habit to put on the girly necessities of underclothes then hitch on the holster. I figure if I make a habit of putting on all of this at the same time when I get dressed then when I actually head out the door it will feel quite normal and natural.

My kids don't even notice or make a big deal that mommy is packing. Honestly, the kids are past all of the newness of it all. I wanted them to also feel normal when I carry so there won't be any mind games going on with them. I'm with them most all of the time so they needed this acclimation period as well. Now that I've been doing it a couple of weeks at home it won't be so shocking when I actually leave home with it on.

MamaBear

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Sunday was my typical day at home. I mowed the lawn which took about 1 1/2 hours. I then changes the front brake pads and changed the oil on my motorcycle in the garage. I also did some laundry. All the time I was carrying my Glock19 IWB in a leather DM Bullard holster. After 5 mins of wearing my rig I don't feel it anymore even when I'm sweating. Later in the day I washed the bike and truck and a friend of mine came by to wash his car too and he never knew that I was carrying. Am I paranoid? I don't think so. I'm just prepared.

I made a mistake recently while doing some work in the garage. It was getting late and out but I still had the garage door open to get fresh air and finish my work. While I was busy working a car came around the corner and instead of going up the street it turned into my driveway. The headlighs blinded me and I could not tell if it was someone I knew are a stranger. I backed up to my kitchen door as the car came closer. I started feeling nervous and placed my hand at the 3:00 position only to discover that I did not have my Glock on me. Oh crap. I had left it in the truck center console and my lady had the truck with her and was out. As soon as I opened the kitchen door to get inside a voice from the car said" hey it's me". I was relieved that it was someone that I knew but did not expected. I also felt angry with myself for not being prepared to deal with a potentially bad situation. This situation just confirmed for me the reason I carry everywhere. Even at home.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
+1 to the carryin while cuttin club. Dont wear shorts much except to sleep in so jeans or BDU's are the norm and so is the S&W 40c.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Call me the odd man out...
The day that I feel so concerned that I have to carry during the day while cutting the grass, is going to be the same day I move! I just don't see that need or threat, nor would I put up with it.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Call me the odd man out...
The day that I feel so concerned that I have to carry during the day while cutting the grass, is going to be the same day I move! I just don't see that need or threat, nor would I put up with it.
John I felt the same way once upon a time but the word "random" kept popping up in stories of crime and home invasion. I see my firearm being similar to my door locks and alarm system. I feel like I live in a very safe neighborhood but I never leave my doors unlocked. I always carry. I wear it and forget it.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I live in a "gated" community. But that gate does nothing but slow folks down over the speed bumps. It's not even a gate its a couple of swing arms. Just down the street lives the local "element." They've always got a lot of people parked on the street and in and out of the house with loud music and the works. Everytime I pass by, it is almost like a stare down. Additionally, my next door neighbor got robbed in the middle of the day. My daughter saw the perp and described him to the cops. So, I carry to ensure the safety and well being of my family. Yes, even when I cut my grass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
John I felt the same way once upon a time but the word "random" kept popping up in stories of crime and home invasion. I see my firearm being similar to my door locks and alarm system. I feel like I live in a very safe neighborhood but I never leave my doors unlocked. I always carry. I wear it and forget it.
"Random" home invasions are very rare. As for “random” home invasions, I don’t remember the last one I heard of. In comparison, I’ve heard of no less than 10 cars driving through the front of a house or a store by accident within the past 6 months. Nevertheless, I don’t confine myself to the back of my house. “What is the risk of something happening in a very safe neighborhood?” Very low. You can’t live in constant concern and protect yourself from everything especially if the risk does not warrant it.

Do you drive to work? Probably a lot higher risk getting hurt there.
Do you smoke? That’s a killer for sure.
How about drinking some? Liver disease kills more than home invasions.
How about drinking and driving? Kills everyday.
Exercise daily to reduce heart disease ? High blood pressure and cholesterol kills more than shootings.

Everyone has a choice, and I don’t deny anyone wanting to carry lawfully. I do when I believe it is warranted. I just wonder if people are really feeling at risk, or if they just like to carry. I like to carry, I don’t need to try to justify it. In fact, I believe that lots of people on this form just like to carry for the sake of carrying. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I do when I believe it is warranted.
My judgement of when some crazy nut or cunning criminal will strike is not that good so the next best thing is just be prepared. I am not constantly on high alert but I maintain a good situational awareness and my firearm is just another tool in the tool bag. It's good to have it and not need it than be without it.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
+1 NKMG19 :thumsup

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
How do you know when it is warranted?? If you can predict that, you'll be an overnight millionaire..

I'm 58 years old. I'm not paranoid, however I am aware. I trained in hand to hand combat, firearms etc for many many years and still train and practice to this day. I've never been attacked in my yard, my home, my car or even a parking lot somewhere in all these years. I have defended myself many times because of a certain occupation that required it in that environment. The knife and firearm are part of me, its comfortable. When I put it on everyday its no different than latching my watch on, putting my wallet in my pocket, grabbing my glasses or putting the clip on folder in its place..I live in a safe neighborhood, no criminal activity so to speak, yet I still carry. Its my last resort but its there if needed. I'm very astute and aware of the criminal mindset. Bad things happen at the most unexpected or inopportune times. I choose to be prepared as best I can for all unfortunate or possible violent circumstances. My wife, children and friends depend on my staying alive. I will not risk nor gamble with my mortality because I might be lazy, over confident, undue feelings of security or uncomfortable and unprepared.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
My wife, children and friends depend on my staying alive. I will not risk nor gamble with my mortality because I might be lazy, over confident, undue feelings of security or uncomfortable and unprepared.
Well said SwampRat. The only thing I would add is that I refuse to be a sheep.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts