Florida Concealed Carry banner
501 - 520 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
Don’t forget to test it with the optic on there as it will ad a little weight to the slide. Not sure if that could cause cycling issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes... eventually. First things first. :)

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'll post one of the targets. I suck! ;)

View attachment 77595

Now I've just gotta sort out the FTF bug.
Yep...you suck racer....that target shows you're so bad I think you should give away all your builds....I take a few!!!
Seriously, nice shooting and glad you got the bugs out of the build.

Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
Yep...you suck racer....that target shows you're so bad I think you should give away all your builds....I take a few!!!
Seriously, nice shooting and glad you got the bugs out of the build.
Thanks. Got a lot of failures to feed. But, I had that with my 2nd build and was able to fix it. Will look into this one today and see if I can sort it out. Once I've got at least 500 flawless rounds through it (without a single failure), then I'll consider it for EDC.

I surprised even myself with that target. Later on, my low-left demon started to creep in (fatigue). But, that target shows that it's me and not the gun!

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yep, the low left demon nabs me a lot. My biggest problem is my knees just will not hold up in a stance to shoot more than 20-30 rds at a proper stance. The new threaded barrel I installed on my p80 has been a good help in my accuracy and going to a 15# RSA did help in the elimination of the FTF/FTE problems..

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
After dressing the breech face and extractor last night, I cycled 3 full mags of snap caps without any issue.
OK... Range Test #2!
I wanted to get right back to the range - anxious to see if the work I did resolved the FTF issue.

Right off the bat... It was running like a top! Woohoo! The gun fired 110 flawless rounds! My pushing left demon made a re-appearance (though not as bad as usual).

I'm not posting targets here. It will only distract from the discussion.

And, then... the FTF gremlin reappeared during my last 20 shots of FMJ ammo. The round was angled up towards the chamber, but stuck - with the slide about a 1/4 - 3/8ths of an inch out of battery.

This time around, I was NOT able to get the slide (and round) to go into battery with a smack on the back of the slide. I had to drop the mag and then rack the slide to drop that round through the magwell.

With that same mag, when I put the jammed round back at the top of the mag and inserted it into the pistol, I could not get the first round to chamber several times after clearing the malfunction. I switched mags, and the first round chambered. But a subsequent round jammed the same way during shooting.

Then, I was out of FMJ ammo. And, my hour of range time was coming to an end. 5 minutes left!

I had brought half a box of Winchester SXT 147-gr hollowpoints just in case I decided I wanted to test them at the end. And, so I did. 25 rounds fired, including some "COM" rapid fire (instinctive shooting) - no malfunctions.

So, I'm not completely sure if it's an AMMO issue.... a MAG issue... or I need to dress the breech and extractor a little more. I'm assuming it's the latter and will proceed accordingly and test again.

So, it was MUCH better. But, I was disappointed with the FTFs after the first 110 rounds fired flawlessly. For a while there I was think, "YOU DA MAN!" And, then.... "D'OH!"

Back to the bench!

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Is the ammo the typical stuff you run or some off the shelf stuff you found online? If it happened with two different mags then, I think you can rule those out.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
After dressing the breech face and extractor last night, I cycled 3 full mags of snap caps without any issue.
OK... Range Test #2!
I wanted to get right back to the range - anxious to see if the work I did resolved the FTF issue.

Right off the bat... It was running like a top! Woohoo! The gun fired 110 flawless rounds! My pushing left demon made a re-appearance (though not as bad as usual).

I'm not posting targets here. It will only distract from the discussion.

And, then... the FTF gremlin reappeared during my last 20 shots of FMJ ammo. The round was angled up towards the chamber, but stuck - with the slide about a 1/4 - 3/8ths of an inch out of battery.

This time around, I was NOT able to get the slide (and round) to go into battery with a smack on the back of the slide. I had to drop the mag and then rack the slide to drop that round through the magwell.

With that same mag, when I put the jammed round back at the top of the mag and inserted it into the pistol, I could not get the first round to chamber several times after clearing the malfunction. I switched mags, and the first round chambered. But a subsequent round jammed the same way during shooting.

Then, I was out of FMJ ammo. And, my hour of range time was coming to an end. 5 minutes left!

I had brought half a box of Winchester SXT 147-gr hollowpoints just in case I decided I wanted to test them at the end. And, so I did. 25 rounds fired, including some "COM" rapid fire (instinctive shooting) - no malfunctions.

So, I'm not completely sure if it's an AMMO issue.... a MAG issue... or I need to dress the breech and extractor a little more. I'm assuming it's the latter and will proceed accordingly and test again.

So, it was MUCH better. But, I was disappointed with the FTFs after the first 110 rounds fired flawlessly. For a while there I was think, "YOU DA MAN!" And, then.... "D'OH!"

Back to the bench!
Any chance the problem is worsened with only 1 or 2 in the magazine, and therefore lighter spring tension in the mag?
Just talking out loud...

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
Is the ammo the typical stuff you run or some off the shelf stuff you found online? If it happened with two different mags then, I think you can rule those out.

Ordinary ammo... CCI Blazer and Winchester White Box.

The malfunctions were with CCI Blazer.

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 ·
Any chance the problem is worsened with only 1 or 2 in the magazine, and therefore lighter spring tension in the mag?
Just talking out loud...
Good thought, but no. It happened even with a full mag.

At the first test session, I got multiple FTF with each mag.

Today's test session... Zero malfunctions until after 110 consecutive rounds fired. Shortly thereafter, I ran out of FMJ ammo and switched to Winchester SXT defensive HP ammo. I thought I'd do some rapid fire to push the gun. No jams with the 25 rounds of that ammo.

I'm going dress up the breech face and extractor a bit more. Polish the feed ramp some more, too. Then see what happens.

370 rounds through it, so far. I think I've got some PMC FMJ ammo I can try next time. I'm running low on ammo!

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #510 ·
I just entered all the parts into my database. I was pleased to find this "EDC" build actually came out fairly "economical."
Post-it note Font Event Plastic Rectangle

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #512 ·
Future build. Slide is a special edition created to help raise money for the legal expenses of 80PBuilders-dot-com. Patriotic emblems and script are laser-etched. Cool, eh? Color of slide and frame are Olive Drab Green.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Starting pistol

Rectangle Automotive tire Gas Electric blue Font

·
Super Moderator
32,243 Posts
Flag on top of the slide is a nice touch! (y)(y)

Reactions: Caleb and racer88

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 · (Edited)
Range test #3 complete for the P80 / G19 "EDC" (candidate).
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

At the first test, I had a LOT of failures to feed... Like more than one per mag. The new round would get hung up below the extractor with the nose jammed into the top of the chamber.

I worked on the breech face and extractor to smooth things up. Cerakoted slides can often have overspray on the breech face.

At Test #2, I had just a handful of FTF out 185 rounds fired. Not good enough, of course! But, it appears I was on the right track. Back to the Freedom Bench to dress up the breech face and polish the barrel feed ramp some more. Being careful, of course, as I do not want to alter the head space or other dimensional tolerances.
Material property Rectangle Gas Camera accessory Audio equipment

Today was Test #3, and I fired 200 consecutive rounds without a single malfunction! Hooray!
Black Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Font

I'll put another 200 through it tomorrow with the Amigos at the range.

·
Super Moderator
32,243 Posts
Excellent and glad you had a successful test to put your mind at ease! (y)(y)

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·
Excellent and glad you had a successful test to put your mind at ease! (y)(y)
Yeah... I've been "spoiled" with flawlessly-functioning builds! 🤪

This one made me work for it a bit!

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·

·
Super Moderator
32,243 Posts
I never turn down ammo! :) I'll buy your lunch.
I've got at least a box of Federal 115 gr Ball range ammo I can contribute to the cause, too! Might even have some 124 gr Ball , too. Whatever I've got, I be sure to bring it along tomorrow. 🤠

• Love

·
Registered
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #520 ·
So, the countdown for 500 flawless rounds with the "EDC Build" started with today's session (200 rounds). That leaves 300 more to go. I set up a "Round Countdown" in my firearms database:
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Electronic device Multimedia

Screenshot Font Software Technology Multimedia

Do you all think 500 is a high enough litmus test? Or should it be 1000?

501 - 520 of 563 Posts