Florida Concealed Carry banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
How can/would this apply to velcro holsters?
The letters say snapped and a few other things....
I have 2 very similar to this one. No latch, clasp or snap.
I think if sensible court were evaluating the question they would determine that as long as the gun cannot be fired, while still in the holster, without undoing some sort of mechanism, strap, snap, closure, etc., then it is "snapped". But one never knows if one will get a sensible court or not.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
OK, we delayed criticizing the Serpa until after your question was answered - but with that out of the way, why a Serpa? Especially if you are just using it as a safety to cover the trigger (which, being a Glock owner, I completely understand). Blackhawk makes the CQC Sportster which is essentially the same holster but without the ill-conceived Serpa mechanism.
because I had 2 just sitting around and to just store a gun I think they are fine.
also I'm too cheap to buy another holster for this purpose.

·
Registered
54,235 Posts
Only a snapped holster would make legal as I see it .....but still not wise.

Like shooter4 said.... search the subject in past threads... and after reading thousands of opinions you might get to same conclusion many had before you... throw a #%$$%# rag over it and be done with it. :grin
Priceless

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
because I had 2 just sitting around and to just store a gun I think they are fine.
also I'm too cheap to buy another holster for this purpose.
I think what BrianB didn't overtly mention is the possibility of the gun becoming trapped in the holster do to a contamination/failure of the push-button latch mechanism. That is my biggest fear of the Serpa.

But then, every system has its pros and cons. If one knows what they are and understands the risks, then one is GTG.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I think what BrianB didn't overtly mention is the possibility of the gun becoming trapped in the holster do to a contamination/failure of the push-button latch mechanism. That is my biggest fear of the Serpa.

But then, every system has its pros and cons. If one knows what they are and understands the risks, then one is GTG.
I understand but sitting in my console I think it will stay pretty clean.

I also that sitting in my console,it is in "a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I understand but sitting in my console I think it will stay pretty clean.

I also that sitting in my console,it is in "a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."
But, sitting in your console, it does NOT need to be snapped in a holster.

If it makes you comfortable, then you do what you want to do. I just want you to know your options.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Only a snapped holster would make legal as I see it .....but still not wise.

Like shooter4 said.... search the subject in past threads... and after reading thousands of opinions you might get to same conclusion many had before you... throw a #%$$%# rag over it and be done with it. :grin
That’s what I do with my Mossberg Shockwave in the floor of my truck. :dunno

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
About a month ago, I got a nice leather scabbard for the Shockwave from DeSantis. It comes with a shell carrier, retaining strap, and strap for behind the back carry. All are removable so that the scabbard can be configured for either right or left hand carry.

I use it in the truck without the carry strap and shell carrier so that the Shockwave is “securely encased,” located right where I can lay my hand on the grip.

I thought that this fit well here, as identifying a way for a Shockwave to be carried securely encased, but within easy reach, in a vehicle.

If this should be in the holster section, mods please move it.

·
Registered
14,998 Posts
I have one of those hanging three compartment zippered gun cases that hangs behind my truck seat. Shockwave, strap and bandoleer live there

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
About a month ago, I got a nice leather scabbard for the Shockwave from DeSantis. It comes with a shell carrier, retaining strap, and strap for behind the back carry. All are removable so that the scabbard can be configured for either right or left hand carry.

I use it in the truck without the carry strap and shell carrier so that the Shockwave is “securely encased,” located right where I can lay my hand on the grip.

I thought that this fit well here, as identifying a way for a Shockwave to be carried securely encased, but within easy reach, in a vehicle.

Do you have any pics of this setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

Do you have any pics of this setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a link to what you bought? I was on the Desantis website looking and did not find it. Maybe I'm blind...

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,943 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I have a similar scabbard for my Shockwave, in that black ballistic nylon looking stuff.
If I were to carry that openly, what are your thoughts on the gun being concealed?
The Shockwave's bird head grip sticks out ever so slightly. About an inch, and unless you knew, it's not obvious what it is (I mean, other than what else is 26" long?).

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
I have a similar scabbard for my Shockwave, in that black ballistic nylon looking stuff.
If I were to carry that openly, what are your thoughts on the gun being concealed?
The Shockwave's bird head grip sticks out ever so slightly. About an inch, and unless you knew, it's not obvious what it is (I mean, other than what else is 26" long?).
With the DeSantis, the entire grip and 3/4” of the receiver is exposed. It’s made to carry angled across your back, and draw the gun over your shoulder.

With yours having only one inch exposed, I don’t see how you could draw the gun out.

·
Super Moderator
5,980 Posts
With the DeSantis, the entire grip and 3/4” of the receiver is exposed. It’s made to carry angled across your back, and draw the gun over your shoulder.

With yours having only one inch exposed, I don’t see how you could draw the gun out.
I’m not sure my shoulder could handle drawing it that way.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
This thread has motivated me to purchase a snapped holster for my edc and a microfiber cloth to cover it so I can carry it in the car where it is more readily available if needed. Thanks for all the info!

81 - 98 of 98 Posts