Florida Concealed Carry banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
So did I, I have a similar background. In this climate I think it is dangerous unless you are identified as a law-enforcement officer. Notwithstanding the political debate as to whether it is laudable, you and I would have sense enough to wear an appropriate holster and be trained in weapon retention.

I just don’t think I’m missing anything by not being able to open carry and if I were allowed to, I wouldn’t. A “man with a gun“ call these days could really upset the apple cart. Respectfully, if you get the right 25-year-old with a five dollar holster and his daddy‘s chrome 1911 to show off combined with the wrong police officer, I can see a lot of damage being done.

I sincerely applaud your efforts for the cause. I understand the position your job requires you to take.

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
I "opened carried" for fifteen years as a cop on duty. Never had an issue. It it not dangerous. I spent the last five years working plainclothes and half the time, people wouldn't even notice that I was open carrying my duty weapon.
Serious question. . . Were you ever challenged by another LEO who didn't know for sure you were an LEO, or did you only Open Carry in areas where virtually every other LEO knew you were "on the job?"

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
...also, did you carry your badge on a belt holder next to your weapon? I’ve seen lots of plain clothes officers doing that but always with their badge next to their weapon. I recall years ago Florida was trying to pass open carry and a provision was made in the bill that you had to have a level III, I think, retention holster and you had to carry your CWFL in a clear plastic window carrier on your belt next to your weapon much like LEOs do with their badge and weapon. Obviously it didn’t pass.

Just curious too...thank you for all your support! (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Serious question. . . Were you ever challenged by another LEO who didn't know for sure you were an LEO, or did you only Open Carry in areas where virtually every other LEO knew you were "on the job?"
I was State, so I was all over and the locals never knew who I was. I was never challenged.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Most of the agencies that I’ve known have a general order or rule that while in civilian attire agents or officers are required to have their ID and badge plainly visible when carrying their service weapon. That cuts down on any challenges. If it’s a training day often times you wear a polo with the badge inscribed over the chest or embroidered I should say in addition to ID and badge. Most agencies also have a rule that when you are carrying off duty that the weapon be sufficiently covered/concealed to the observation of others.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Just thought I'd throw a little something in here about fishing. Not all of us fish saltwater. I've lived in Hillsborough county my whole life and have never fished saltwater. I fish in the woods, I find places other people are not seen. I park my Jeep and walk the bank sometimes ending up a mile or more from where I started. So when I hear that someone is carrying while fishing I don't think of the St Pete pier.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Something else to think about hunting season is in the winter, yes we have winter, so you dress in layers. It makes staying concealed interesting, you may end up with two extra layers over your regular cover, or have to stop and readjust your carry as you remove layers. I don't think the politicians thought of any of this but that's how it works of course who really cares if I'm carrying a sidearm while I'm standing there with a 30-06 rifle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Of course, I’d come get you out though. To your credit, you still look like the Popo.
Well, the donut around my equator sure doesn't hide the fact that was was a gumshoe for a bit. Also the fact that I will do the "interview stance" doesn't help either. 🤣

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Once you’re on the job you live a lifetime of telltale signs for those who recognize them. Even when the girls were seven years old and they seated us at a restaurant, they would say “no, he always sits facing the register”

·
Registered
43 Posts
Once you’re on the job you live a lifetime of telltale signs for those who recognize them. Even when the girls were seven years old and they seated us at a restaurant, they would say “no, he always sits facing the register”
I still do that. ;) Wife automatically knows that I sit like that.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
I would argue, that is not just a LEO thing, but a “situationally aware” person thing. I don't care about the register, I care about the front door personally.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Some years back, I worked for an Orlando private investigator. He’s former DEA, Orlando PD and military. I used to tease him mercilessly. First time I let him have it...we were surveilling someone. (Domestic case) The subject popped into a cafe. So he hopped out of the car to see if she was meeting someone. He had to run across a busy road to get to and from the car. When he sat back down I was laughing hysterically. I told him, “Very incognito boss! You walk and run like a 🤬 cop! I’d think with all that training, you’d blend in a little more.“ :LOL:

He used to tell me “Keep it up chuckles...I know several ways to kick your #$&% making it look like an accident, enough guys on the force to lose the paperwork and finally some government type goons that can make you disappear!,”:cautious:

41 - 58 of 58 Posts