Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Ronnie:

That was so easy. My point was to open a line of discussion regarding this issue. on more than one occasion i have needed to stop for gas after towing the boat.

Of course I can leave Sig in center console or under shirt but point is to help us all understand these issues. Not looking for a pissing match but rather a good conversation.

Thanks for your input.
I do see your point, but it is not worth all of the grief you will receive if you scare some little old Lady/Man when they see your gun and call the Police.
Just because it is legal, It does not mean it is a smart thing to do.
There is a true event where a uniformed Police Officer was in A Texas Road House Restaurant and people got so upset they could not even eat the food because they seen a gun.
The Police were called and that officer was asked to leave the restaurant.
We have sheep in this state now just looking for a way to make a gun owner miserable and that is a fact. They are moving down here by the thousands from the North East and hate our freedom provided by the 2nd. amendment and that is a fact of life.
What I am saying to you is to wait until you get to your spot and wear it anyway you would like to.
Or , like you say, Just cover it with a shirt or vest when you stop if you have a carry permit.
It is better on you then in your truck. If you need to get to it.
Ronnie

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Well, if fishing, you can’t easily pick up your live bait the night before.
I'm pretty sure if you stop to buy your bait in a bait shop, They are not going to freak out because they know it is legal.
Stopping to buy gas or get a cup of coffee is just plain asking for the grief you will get if someone sees the gun and calls the cops on you.
Why ask for trouble when you can just throw a garment on to cover it up while pumping gas.
I do say it is better to have your gun on you and not in your vehicle if you ever need it.
Of course you need a permit to carry concealed.
I would say that most cops do not even know this law and you will be detained for a long time while they investigate if your open carry is legal.
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Florida has one of juat five states that explicitly prohibit open carry (with a few exceptions) since 1987. So what other states have done or wil do hasn't seemed to change that fact for decades. So still not holding my breath! :unsure:
Seeing how we did have unrestricted open carry in Florida and it went away pretty much added fuel to the fire when we gun owners say once you lose a battle against a gun law it is gone forever...... and the next illegal law awaits.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Revenue increases?...can not see how that can occur in Florida where it is a will issue state. Maybe in a shall issue or from a no issue to Constitutional issue, but people that want firearms in Fl ....I would guess 90-95% have them. If they want to carry, they are already doing as it certainly does not cost a fortune to get a license. Constitutional carry would not SELL any more guns to those that can not legally acquire them so ZERO increase in revenue there either.
huh?

I think you misunderstood my point..... when Constitutional Carry passes, the amount of permits issues increases because more people want permits.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you stop to buy your bait in a bait shop, They are not going to freak out because they know it is legal.
Stopping to buy gas or get a cup of coffee is just plain asking for the grief you will get if someone sees the gun and calls the cops on you.
Why ask for trouble when you can just throw a garment on to cover it up while pumping gas.
I do say it is better to have your gun on you and not in your vehicle if you ever need it.
Of course you need a permit to carry concealed.
I would say that most cops do not even know this law and you will be detained for a long time while they investigate if your open carry is legal.
Ronnie
You’re preaching to the choir, Ronnie. I wouldn’t ever open carry even if it was legal.

The only exceptions to that is when I’m shooting in matches, IDPA practice, or hunting, since I hunt with a handgun.

That said; I don’t care if others want to OC. As far as I’m concerned; let everyone that wants to do so.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
huh?

I think you misunderstood my point..... when Constitutional Carry passes, the amount of permits issues increases because more people want permits.
NO, I think you misunderstand . Florida being a SHALL ISSUE state.... most people that want to carry a firearm has a CCW license even if it cost them money .. I do not think a constitutional carry state is going to make a significant difference with more residents buying a gun to carry.

You lost me on this....you said "when Constitutional Carry passes, the amount of permits issues increases because more people want permits" . If a permit is required, how is it Constitutional Carry?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I am not against open carry but it does cause a problem. The sheep moving into Florida from the North East are pretty well brainwashed on needing some sort of common since gun control because they know nothing except what was drummed into their ignorant heads over the years. Some see a gun and they just plain panic and some flip out.
Then they sign up to some communist gun control group of constitution hating fools and brow beat the representatives into doing what they want without any regard for the honest citizen that is a responsible gun owner.
In other words, They only care about what they are brainwashed to care about.
This is America and I think open carry should be the law of the land but that is never going to happen.
I live near Daytona and all I hear about is how driving on the beach, The Speedway, Bike Week, Turkey rod run, Jeep week, Truck week and everything we older Daytona citizens moved here 30 or 40 + years ago because of we love these things that they want "GONE"
This includes Guns if you are interested.
Soon they will outnumber us old timers and Florida will really be doomed.
They are coming by the thousands into Florida every month from the communist toilet Democrat controlled Nazi states and want FLORIDA to be like the poophole expensive corrupt toilets they just left.
When you do open carry, You are feeding the hate and fear these ignorant brainwashed fools that will not educate on a subject but want to destroy what they know nothing about.
RONNIE

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Among other things, my sister-in-law teaches legal research and writing at FSU law school. I asked her if she could pull up the legislative history for 790.025 (three) H

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I really only open carry around the house and property, the rest of the time it's concealed, it's mostly for comfort but they sell dope at the little store across the street so there's that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
NO, I think you misunderstand . Florida being a SHALL ISSUE state.... most people that want to carry a firearm has a CCW license even if it cost them money .. I do not think a constitutional carry state is going to make a significant difference with more residents buying a gun to carry.

You lost me on this....you said "when Constitutional Carry passes, the amount of permits issues increases because more people want permits" . If a permit is required, how is it Constitutional Carry?
Constitutional Carry doesn't do away with the permitting system, it makes it optional for those who choose to carry. And more people will get permits once Constitutional Carry becomes the law because they get used to carrying and then decide they want to travel and will thus need a permit for going out of state.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Seeing how we did have unrestricted open carry in Florida and it went away pretty much added fuel to the fire when we gun owners say once you lose a battle against a gun law it is gone forever...... and the next illegal law awaits.
To be precise, there's been gains against gun laws before. Texas was actually a pretty crappy state for gun owners for a long time, despite the hype. Laws made carry very difficult to do legally. Those laws were beaten back, and Texas currently has licensed concealed/open carry and is working on Constitutional.

That being said, I've been to some of the open carry fishing expeditions, not necessarily as a participant, but to cover for my blog. Of course I had my EDC pistol and kit on me, and just for the hell of it, I had the free fishing license for fishing off of a pier, and my fishing rod. Caught nothing, but I did open carry just for the hell of it.

I was very self-conscious of it, to be sure, but I did a little experiment. Even in hugely anti-gun South Beach, no one noticed or cared. I was just some guy with fishing gear walking back to my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regarding statute Florida Statute 790.25(3)(h). It states you can open carry while fishing, hunting or camping. Also when raveling to or from.

My question is what about stops along the way. One attorney told me only DIRECTLY to or from while another says you are fine stopping for gas as long as it is along the "route of travel" to or from.

Statute is not clear o this. Is there any case law? I feel open at the gas station will for sure allow for education but I don't want to be cuffed and hire a lawyer.

Also can anybody tell me the history of this statute? Why allow for open carry in these situations? Was it to appease those of us in favor of open carry, in other words give us something but not the whole 9 yards?

Clearly it was not to allow for protection from a shark or bear.

Maybe the thought was if you are in the wilderness you are more vulnerable to being mugged in a secluded location? if this is the reason for the hunt ,fish camp exclusion why not for hiking?

Just wondering.

Thanks
Well if camping, hunting, (hiking) etc you need to draw quick for possible attacks from animal predators, such as Bears, snakes, alligators, bobcats, wild dogs, etc.
So it makes sense for the exclusion. Hiking should be included.

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
Well if camping, hunting, (hiking) etc you need to draw quick for possible attacks from animal predators, such as Bears, snakes, alligators, bobcats, wild dogs, etc.
So it makes sense for the exclusion. Hiking should be included.
First, welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, step07726!

Secondly, while the reasons you cite for the hunting, fishing, camping exceptions, it's not that simple and the history of open and concealed carry provisions in Florida Statutes reportedly follows a bit of a twisted path back in 1987 to get to the current situation.

Thirdly, since you've now made your first post to FCC without first making the customary introduction, please now take the time to educate yourself on how FCC works (see last paragraph below) and then post you're own proper Introduction Thread to FCC letting forum members get to know you a little, of course without getting too personal. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering your questions!

If you're a veteran, take a look at our Military Service Thread where you'll find many of us there, too!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Also, I highly recommend you read this thread to understand how to navigate FCC to get the most out of your experience. One particular item that's caught many veteran FCC members off guard is the "Recommended Reading" at the bottom of each page, which MAY contain quite old threads of inactive conversations lacking up-to-date information or context. So beware of the date of the last post (just to the right of the post number) in any thread you come across so you don't mistakenly think every post is recent and start responding to very old posts/threads that been dormant for quite some time, sometimes for many years.

Again, welcome to FCC and good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
You left out on your own property or place of business, alot of it depends where you live in rural Polk county I don't have a problem open carrying at home ,camping, hunting or fishing. Now in orlando no F-ing way get my point. Try reading John Gutmachers book "Florida Firearms Law Use and Ownership if this thread does not answer your questions. Good luck
It is perfectly legal to carry openly or concealed, with or without a license, at one's own home or place of business.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I figured it was for bear & shark defense, although the salt water swim might be hard on your pistol.
My brother lives in AZ, on the edge of the desert, and he carries in the wilderness because they have some dangerous critters.
Of course Florida has it’s share, some of them on two legs.
I wouldn’t chance stopping without carrying concealed. I think having it out in the open is inviting trouble.
I have a friend in an open carry state we used to live in. We were at our apartment complex’s playground, playing with our toddlers. He always had a 1911 in a shoulder holster, and I thought nothing of it - it was invisible to me. The police showed up. Even though he was perfectly legal, someone in the complex was terrified and called them. That’s what I’d be concerned about. Some gas station owner calling the small town cop parked down the block in some little podunk town and you ending up on the news.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
That concealed carry is like waving an I'm armed banner.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The legislative history is not readily available. The provision allowing carry while hunting, camping, fishing was in the 1965 iteration of the law pre-dating the 1987 changes. The legislature was more of a bunch of good old boys at that time.

I bet it went something like “I ain’t going in the woods with no snakes without a pistol“ and another legislator added “I seen a big Moccasin one time when I was fishin” They say that a person who likes sausage or respects the law should never watch either being made.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can’t find the actual legislative history on chapter 790.25 ( 3)h back in the days of paper books in law library‘s, it was easy.

We’ve discussed it here before and to me, hunting and camping has its own set of perils, Carrying a weapon there makes sense. I had a little problem with the fishing portion of the statue but others pointed out that snakes and hidden locations and small lakes might present a danger.

For years, nerds have gone out fishing on the pier with an M4 slung over their back. They do this so they can have a little video encounter on YouTube. I think that’s a dangerous thing to do given the proliferation of shootings and general public concern over firearms. it does it’s all a disservice and feeds into the public perception of “gun nuts.“ Someday one of these “justice warriors” is going to get killed by police officer and his video will get more attention than he anticipated.

My recommendation would be that you don’t “gun up” until the last moment on a fishing or hunting trip, if at all. if you get out at a gas station open carrying, somebody’s going to freak out. When 911 is called, you will hope you get an officer that’s understanding or has not been shot in the line of duty because they can make things pretty difficult. Back in my law enforcement days there was the saying “ you may beat the rap but you won’t beat the ride“

When I was growing up Florida had a lot of snakes. Now many of them have probably been covered up by the foundation of a skyscraper.
A right that you're afraid to exercise is not a right. It is a privilege. Texas was very much in a similar situation like Florida. The difference is, Texans weren't afraid to tell their lawmakers "F%#$ YOU! WE WANT OPEN CARRY!" And they did open carry protests all over the state and at their Capitol.

We will have Constitutional Carry soon enough and then none of these issues will matter.
Constitutional Carry will not pass unless you put pressure on lawmakers. Don't think it is a done deal. For the past decade, Republican leadership has killed Open Carry, Campus Carry, and Constitutional Carry. Right now, HB 123, the current Constitutional Carry bill is being blocked by Rep. Cord Byrd (R) in the House's Criminal Justice Subcommittee.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don’t think we will be seeing open carry in Florida. Even if we did, I would not open carry. I think it’s dangerous and if you have a nice pistol, you’re just advertising 500 easy bucks to the cretin standing behind you at the 7-Eleven. I guess you could buy one of those tamperproof holsters issued to law-enforcement but what an expense and what a pain.

Keep it concealed, it’s less of a problem. There was a German World War II ace who was lucky enough to shoot down several P 51’s when they first came on the scene. I don’t think it was Richthofen. He was asked by his fellow pilots how the American P 51s handled during a dog fight and his answer was “I don’t know, they never saw me coming“ I think that’s a lesson for concealed carry versus open carry.
I "opened carried" for fifteen years as a cop on duty. Never had an issue. It it not dangerous. I spent the last five years working plainclothes and half the time, people wouldn't even notice that I was open carrying my duty weapon.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts