Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though they scare me, I finally found a Karambit that I decided to buy. It’s the Ontario Curve Karambit.

It’s 3.9” fixed blade made with 1075 steel. I’ll probably buy a practice knife since I want to get comfortable with the form factor.

I will probably need to send this to Jim for a much better sheath.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Nice. They are pretty wicked once you get the knack for wielding them.

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts
Was looking at that a while back, too. Nice pickup and definitely agree that Jim can likely make a much better sheath for it. :popcorn

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
So I googled and haven't read it all.

Karambit FAQ https://www.karambit.com/faq

Do karambits have to have a ring?
Not technically. Even though the ring is the karambit's most readily identifiable feature, it's the curved blade shape and the hooking, tearing, and slicing functionality that designates a knife as a karambit. However, it is very difficult to obtain the advantages traditionally offered by a karambit without a safety ring and as such, the modern karambit almost always features a safety or retention ring.

KARAMBIT USE AND TRAINING
Is the karambit a fighting knife?
The karambit is a multi-purpose utility knife. While the karambit's features readily lend themselves to combative and tactical use and its use in battle has been finely honed through centuries of field testing via perpetual Southeast Asian conflict and war, the karambit has been, will be and remains, first and foremost, a tool. It is not specifically designed for fighting or as a fighting knife and even though fighting karambits exist, its traditional purpose centers around every day carry and use.

·
Registered
54,234 Posts
So I googled and haven't read it all.

Karambit FAQ https://www.karambit.com/faq

Do karambits have to have a ring?
Not technically. Even though the ring is the karambit's most readily identifiable feature, it's the curved blade shape and the hooking, tearing, and slicing functionality that designates a knife as a karambit. However, it is very difficult to obtain the advantages traditionally offered by a karambit without a safety ring and as such, the modern karambit almost always features a safety or retention ring.

KARAMBIT USE AND TRAINING
Is the karambit a fighting knife?
The karambit is a multi-purpose utility knife. While the karambit's features readily lend themselves to combative and tactical use and its use in battle has been finely honed through centuries of field testing via perpetual Southeast Asian conflict and war, the karambit has been, will be and remains, first and foremost, a tool. It is not specifically designed for fighting or as a fighting knife and even though fighting karambits exist, its traditional purpose centers around every day carry and use.
All knives are tools.

Nice pickup OP :thumsup

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I have no experience with karambits but I am a huge fan of OKC. I think they offer the best value in the marketplace. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Nice pickup Andy! I too have been on the fence about getting one.... they make me nervous ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54,234 Posts
I've got a Tarani custom folder K, had another straight custom K made back in 03. Also have a K trainer. Some students may remember that trainer and how it would put a hurt on someone. Using a K properly requires some different skills training, but much is also transferable from the our blade sessions.

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts
I've got a Tarani custom folder K, had another straight custom K made back in 03. Also have a K trainer. Some students may remember that trainer and how it would put a hurt on someone. Using a K properly requires some different skills training, but much is also transferable from the our blade sessions.
:thumsup I believe I remember seeing that trainer at one of your E2E courses!

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts
You did at that. People didn't want me demonstrating it's use, even the trainer hurt :rofl
Yeah, but no pain, no gain! I consider myself so fortunate to have made it to at least three of those Edged Weapon/H2H courses, which along with the QK and TF courses, particularly that long, 3-day Rifle-Pistol-Shotgun QK course (my all-time favorite) were the absolute most educational, mega eye-opening SD courses I've ever attended and probably ever will! :2thumsup :clap :clap :clap

·
Super Moderator
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remember that trainer. Main reason I’ve been looking. If that dull thing hurt as bad as it did, the sharpened karmabit is not going to be nice.

The steel came sharp, but it takes a nice edge.

I figure I’ll start reviewing Doug Marcado's videos on this.

And I definitely need a Panther. The sheath that came with this is not good at all.

·
Registered
54,234 Posts
I remember that trainer. Main reason I’ve been looking. If that dull thing hurt as bad as it did, the sharpened karmabit is not going to be nice.

The steel came sharp, but it takes a nice edge.

I figure I’ll start reviewing Doug Marcado's videos on this.

And I definitely need a Panther. The sheath that came with this is not good at all.
:grin, yes, the trainer is a weapon in and of itself sir.

·
Super Moderator
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sent it off to Jim at Panther and he sent back this beautiful sheath. It holds really well and the draw is pretty nice.

He set it up so I can carry it on either side. Just need to swap the clip.

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts
Very nice setup edgehill! Love every PantherConcealment.com holster or knife sheath Jim has made for me and I have several of each! (y)

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Awesome.... that’s a scary blade! Nice sheath too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54,234 Posts
I sent it off to Jim at Panther and he sent back this beautiful sheath. It holds really well and the draw is pretty nice.

He set it up so I can carry it on either side. Just need to swap the clip.

His rendition of the draw point sheath Sastre's made for 15+ years. Very nice sir.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts