31,900 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
A dog as in singular...
How about 7 dogs, man killed by 7 dogs:
71-year-old man mauled to death by 7 dogs while walking to store

7 is a lot of dogs.
Walking down the street I typically (99% of the time) have a Glock with 16 - 18 rounds available before I'd be at slidelock and need to reload; these walks usually include my GSD and Bullmastiff which would in theory hinder at least two out of seven dogs.
However, (1% of the time) I'll go jogging (some slow version of it) wearing gym shorts with a Smartcarry and a Sig 365 so even when I'm carrying "light" I have 11 rounds of 9mm. Bullmastiff refuses to jog, but the GSD likes it; he finally gets to "walk" at a normal to him pace instead of my saunter. So, in theory GSD will hinder one dog; I say in theory because he will probably try to save himself by running away and dislocate my shoulder in the process. Fortunately, I always "jog" with GSD leash in my left hand, so my dominant hand will still be functional / available.
In the attacked by 7 dogs scenario in theory I have enough ammo to shoot 7 dogs, assuming they don't run away when the shooting starts and continue to attack. I hate to image the potential for ricochet off the street in a residential area and I'm probably getting bit regardless.

In that scenario I have enough ammo to cover 7 attacking dogs, none of which run away when the shooting starts; but, someone with a snub revolver would not. Even if they hit 5/5 they still have two dogs remaining; they can choke one dog but not both, getting bit for sure. I did not say snubs are capacity deficient, but I think it and nothing will change my mind.
In before they have a knife too; I thought of it, didn't get to correct me. 😁:LOL::geek:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A dog as in singular...

7 is a lot of dogs.
Walking down the street I typically (99% of the time) have a Glock with 16 - 18 rounds available before I'd be at slidelock and need to reload; these walks usually include my GSD and Bullmastiff which would in theory hinder at least two out of seven dogs.
However, (1% of the time) I'll go jogging (some slow version of it) wearing gym shorts with a Smartcarry and a Sig 365 so even when I'm carrying "light" I have 11 rounds of 9mm. Bullmastiff refuses to jog, but the GSD likes it; he finally gets to "walk" at a normal to him pace instead of my saunter. So, in theory GSD will hinder one dog; I say in theory because he will probably try to save himself by running away and dislocate my shoulder in the process. Fortunately, I always "jog" with GSD leash in my left hand, so my dominant hand will still be functional / available.
In the attacked by 7 dogs scenario in theory I have enough ammo to shoot 7 dogs, assuming they don't run away when the shooting starts and continue to attack. I hate to image the potential for ricochet off the street in a residential area and I'm probably getting bit regardless.

In that scenario I have enough ammo to cover 7 attacking dogs, none of which run away when the shooting starts; but, someone with a snub revolver would not. Even if they hit 5/5 they still have two dogs remaining; they can choke one dog but not both, getting bit for sure. I did not say snubs are capacity deficient, but I think it and nothing will change my mind.
In before they have a knife too; I thought of it, didn't get to correct me. :geek:
You will need a bit more than 17 rounds of 9mm to defeat the dog in the video

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Indeed you have and we're all glad it wasn't worse. How's the recovery. . .all recovered or still working on it?
Pretty much all recovered.
I can play guitar fine, and the only “leftovers” from the dog attack are a lump between/behind the knuckles of my left hand ring and middle fingers (it looks like a misplaced knuckle), and the numb to the touch area just behind my little and ring fingers on the back of my left hand.
The numbness in my fingers has gone away, so this last numb area likely will at some point. The longest time for nerve damage in my hands that I can recall was @ two years for numbness to go away.

As I recall; you had a much scarier K-9 encounter than I did!

·
Registered
4,984 Posts

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
A dog as in singular...

7 is a lot of dogs.

In before they have a knife too; I thought of it, didn't get to correct me. 😁:LOL::geek:
Good plan, and just one bit of advice. If you’re being attacked by multiple anythings; do whatever it takes to get to something where they can’t get behind you! Otherwise; I don’t honestly know, absent the best-case scenario where the shooting starts and the other dogs run away, If I could take out seven dogs surrounding me in time; no matter how much ammo I had. I can tell you this; I wouldn’t be having the time to worry about any ricochets.

I ran deer hunting dogs in the SW Florida coastal swamps (basically sub-tropical jungle) for better than 25 years, so I have a bit of exposure to how they work in packs. Some dogs would un-ass the area as soon as shots were fired, while others could care less…

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
It's almost the same video I used to start the thread

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Found another video too, with a few more tid bits of information to accumulate.
I'll find it again of you like

·
Registered
4,984 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,900 Posts
Pretty much all recovered.
I can play guitar fine, and the only “leftovers” from the dog attack are a lump between/behind the knuckles of my left hand ring and middle fingers (it looks like a misplaced knuckle), and the numb to the touch area just behind my little and ring fingers on the back of my left hand.
The numbness in my fingers has gone away, so this last numb area likely will at some point. The longest time for nerve damage in my hands that I can recall was @ two years for numbness to go away.

As I recall; you had a much scarier K-9 encounter than I did!
Glad to know you've recovered from most of your injuries and I'm hoping what's left of the numbness will subside, too.

Nah, my encounter with an attacking dog wasn't as scary as yours and the dog didn't actually bite, although I was convinced I was about a half second from getting mauled. I'm still not sure how I was able to convince that large Sheppard or Belgian Malinois (can't remember which) to stop his attack. It was the DPRofMD so I wasn't carrying weapons of any kind while out on that distance run, because I couldn't legally, but I did the only thing I could and yelled "NO" so loudly as I starred him down that he stopped dead in his tracks just short of my posit. Maybe he was afraid I was going to bite him, I was so angry at the owner for letting him run loose.

Regardless, I didn't actually get attacked like you did. So NO, my encounter wasn't nearly as scary as yours! 😧

Reactions: MPDC66 and brownie

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Glad to know you've recovered from most of your injuries and I'm hoping what's left of the numbness will subside, too.

Nah, my encounter with an attacking dog wasn't as scary as yours and the dog didn't actually bite, although I was convinced I was about a half second from getting mauled. I'm still not sure how I was able to convince that large Sheppard or Belgian Malinois (can't remember which) to stop his attack. It was the DPRofMD so I wasn't carrying weapons of any kind while out on that distance run, because I couldn't legally, but I did the only thing I could and yelled "NO" so loudly as I starred him down that he stopped dead in his tracks just short of my posit. Maybe he was afraid I was going to bite him, I was so angry at the owner for letting him run loose.

Regardless, I didn't actually get attacked like you did. So NO, my encounter wasn't nearly as scary as yours! 😧
Well; I’ll try that if there’s ever a next time.
”Hey boy; how ya’ doin’” didn’t work out so well for me! 🤣

I must be thinking about Brownie’s “encounter.”

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Well; I’ll try that if there’s ever a next time.
”Hey boy; how ya’ doin’” didn’t work out so well for me! 🤣

I must be thinking about Brownie’s “encounter.”
When I tried to strangle the pit bull or when the police dog bit me :unsure:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts