Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend, I had my CM9 in my pocket and we decided to go visit my wife's grandmother in her nursing home. It wasn't until we left that I started to think, "Does a nursing home meet the definition of a mental health facility?" My question pertains to statute 394.458.

Thanks!

·
Registered
518 Posts
My mother is in an assisted living facility. The residents are not allowed to have guns. I carry most of the time when I visit her. There is no sign posted so I assume it's alright for visitors to carry.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would be careful to make sure you do not go near the Hall/ward of the facility that does deal with mental health. The nursing home I worked at had an alzheimers/mental ward. I'm fairly sure that it would be considered a seperate area of the building since you usually have to go through a key coded door of some sort though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be careful to make sure you do not go near the Hall/ward of the facility that does deal with mental health. The nursing home I worked at had an alzheimers/mental ward. I'm fairly sure that it would be considered a seperate area of the building since you usually have to go through a key coded door of some sort though.
This is why I started to wonder. I don't think there is a specific area or ward that deals with Alzheimer's patients. My guess is they don't have one, or don't provide that kind of care at her facility. Residents are allowed to come and go as they please (if they are able to). The statute is kind of vague, as it doesn't differentiate between different types of "mental health" care. No resident in the facility is psychotic, but there are probably residents with depression and memory issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are some awesome old age home projects, which are reasonably priced also. Providing all five star and luxuries facilities, like furnished bed room,t.v lounge, internet, wheel chair and two lifts required to live comfortably for senior citizens. They are also providing 24/7 nursing facility with complete privacy.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
concealed is concealed

·
Banned
4,618 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why you need to carry at a nursing home....
this is a foolish statement!
while it certainly is true that you likely have no need for a weapon while you are visiting a nursing home.
what makes it a foolish comment is that people who carry concealed usually are always carrying wherever it is that they go to.
having the gun with them is just incidental.
In other words they didn't decide to carry a gun because they are visiting a nursing home, they carry the gun there because they carry a gun wherever they go.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
while it certainly is true that you likely have no need for a weapon while you are visiting a nursing home.
what makes it a foolish comment is that people who carry concealed usually are always carrying wherever it is that they go to.
In other words they didn't decide to carry a gun because they are visiting a nursing home, they carry the gun there because they carry a gun wherever they go.
Agreed. If I knew where and when things were going to go bad I would just stay away. Since I don't then the gun goes where I go if legal.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Statistically you never need a gun. Why bother carrying one at all?

The answered is simple. Violence has a way of finding you when you least expect it, in places you would never think you would need it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Why do people wear seatbelts same thing U use a seat belt just in case.
Because the law says you have to.

While I agree with wearing the seatbelt for safety, This is one of those issues that goes both ways. I know of people that were thrown across the car only to be saved because they would have been crushed, and I have heard of incidents that could have saved if they were wearing a seatbelt. But we click it, to avoid the ticket. LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm still trying to figure out why you need to carry at a nursing home....
The reason for my inquiry has already been stated by another user, but basically I needed to know if I have to leave it in the car or not. I never "plan" to use my gun, and God forbid I ever have to; but if the need should arise, I will have it with me if I can legally carry it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
4,618 Posts
Because the law says you have to.

While I agree with wearing the seatbelt for safety, This is one of those issues that goes both ways. I know of people that were thrown across the car only to be saved because they would have been crushed, and I have heard of incidents that could have saved if hey were wearing a seatbelt. But we click it, to avoid the ticket. LOL
why do you carry a spare tire? most of do and most of us have never used one

·
Registered
201 Posts
I carry where ever I'm legally allowed, and yes I even carry taking out the trash, one doesn't have the luxury of choosing when and where to become a victim

·
Registered
20,500 Posts
In other words they didn't decide to carry a gun because they are visiting a nursing home, they carry the gun there because they carry a gun wherever they go
probably the best explanation i have ever seen....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts