Florida Concealed Carry banner

No carry signs in stores

14K views 77 replies 29 participants last post by  snipe hunter 
#1 ·
Being somewhat new to the state I was wondering if many stores have no carry signs at the door, and if people generally respect them of say F-it concealed means they won't know. I was kind of surprised that when I visited the Apple store in Jacksonville yesterday I did not see any sort of no gun sign on the door - of all places I sort of expected to see one at Apple.

#2 ·
Gun buster signs have no force of law in Florida and concealed is concealed. However, if discovered, you must leave immediately without question. If you don't and LEOs are called, you can be arrested for armed treaspass.

#4 ·
I would modify the above to say "if discovered and asked to leave". Mere discovery does not prompt the requirement to leave.

#3 ·
I don't see many, and if I do , I ignore it unless it is a prohibited place. They hold no force of law here in Florida as you will hear from following responses. Carry concealed and if for some reason someone finds out and asks you to leave, do so immediately without causing any problems and your good to go.

#5 ·
Agree with all the above. I rarely see them. If I do, I just smile and ignore (with the exception of legally prohibited places, in which case the sign is superfluous because I already know it's a prohibited place).

On a side note... how many people here have been "discovered" in a place with a posted sign? Me? Never (in 24+ years of carry).

#7 ·
On a side note... how many people here have been "discovered" in a place with a posted sign? Me? Never (in 24+ years of carry).
Never. In 29 years of carry.

#6 ·
I could probably count on one hand the number of signs I've seen here in Pensacola on one hand. Excluding true prohibited places of course. This part of the Panhandle is pretty conservative though.

I just ignore them as they carry no weight of law. We share reciprocity with all the states in the south east. Most of them have the same law about the signs.

#8 ·
Agree with what everyone has said. Just an FYI, the Kay Jewelers store on Atlantic Blvd has such a sign. Jared Jewelers at Town Center Mall does not.

#11 ·
Ah... I guess Jared didn't get the memo that "gun free zone" signs stop jewelry store robberies dead in their tracks! :rofl

Future newspaper headline:

Robbers: They went to Jared.

#10 ·
I rarely see such signs; but, that may be because I don't look for them. In over 10 years of almost daily carry, I have yet to be discovered (as far as I know).

#14 ·
Being somewhat new to the state I was wondering if many stores have no carry signs at the door, and if people generally respect them of say F-it concealed means they won't know. I was kind of surprised that when I visited the Apple store in Jacksonville yesterday I did not see any sort of no gun sign on the door - of all places I sort of expected to see one at Apple.
At the Apple stores you only have to obey the signs that say "No iGuns Allowed". :laughing.

#18 ·
Never been discovered in 32 years. If I happen to see a sign, I just ignore them. I used to sometimes make comments, but unless you are talking to the owner of the establishment, it does no good from the perspective of trying to educate someone who could effect change.

#19 ·
I asked about the armed response team at Ashley Furniture on ISB. The manager looked at me confused. I said, "The sign on the door says for everyone's safety people can't carry firearms in the store. That obviously means you have an armed response team, just like law enforcement arrives armed, because otherwise how could it be for our safety when criminals don't obey rules or laws?"

He informed me that even he has to keep his firearm in the car. My response? "Wait, you mean you guys aren't armed and you're also asking the customers to disarm? Holy crap, do you realize the liability you've opened yourself up to should something happen by stating we are safer by leaving our means of protection outside?"

I could see the mouse hop on the wheel. It was then that I stated, "I'm sorry, my wife and I do not feel safe or comfortable here. And if Ashley Furniture is willing to lie to us over this, about our very own safety and protection, we don't feel that we can trust anything within this establishment. Thank you for your time." And we left.

Did it do any good? Well, it made me feel better and it made my wife laugh, so yeah, it did! :grin

-on Tapatalk

#20 ·
PS- We've furnished our new home by way of Haynes Brothers on 44. When I went there I flat out asked, "Do you care if I have my concealed firearm on me? Ashley Furniture did, so we left." The guy said, "Nope, just fine. I actually prefer it." We've spent thousands there already. Going back for a crib soon.

:thumsup

-on Tapatalk

#23 ·
Thanks, I know these signs have no foundation in law - was just curious how prevalent they might be. I just expected to see one at an Apple or other "left wing yuppie" type establishment like say Starbucks. I would periodically even see them in NJ where there are only about 1,500 carry permits for non-LEOs in a state of about 9 million people.

#26 ·
Know this part of FL statutes 790.06 and don't even pay attention to any other sign. Just memorize these places and go about your business.

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
(b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.
(c) This section does not modify the terms or conditions of s. 790.251(7).
(d) Any person who knowingly and willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

#27 ·
Know this part of FL statutes 790.06 and don't even pay attention to any other sign. Just memorize these places and go about your business.
There are a handful of others in addition to the 790.06(12)(a) list:

790.115 - weapons prohibited at school-sponsored events and on school property (which is a little broader than 790.06(12)(a)(10) and (13) - and is a felony).

394.458 - no firearms in or upon the grounds of hospitals providing mental health services under Part 1 of the Florida Mental Health Act.

258.157 - no firearms in the Savannas State Reserve (with exceptions).

311.12(3) - no possessing firearms in secure and restricted areas of certain seaports - seaport must provide clear notice of the prohibition.

#43 ·
In addition to the 1851 Navy Sheriff, I have the full size 1851 Navy, as well as the 1858 Army which is my shooter.

As a former sailor I had to have the 1851 Navy and the Sheriff was just to cute to pass up.

Anyone who puts enough rounds through their BP revolver, to worry about the strength of the frame, has more patience than me. For me, an afternoon of BP is about 24 rounds.

I will admit that when cleaning time comes, SS would be nice.

#44 ·
Anyone who puts enough rounds through their BP revolver, to worry about the strength of the frame, has more patience than me. For me, an afternoon of BP is about 24 rounds.
I don't think the strength is a big deal for "normal" shooting. But if you're going to run a conversion cylinder in your gun then you need a steel framed gun.

#60 ·
I agree with Racer88 back in post #5
Agree with all the above. I rarely see them. If I do, I just smile and ignore (with the exception of legally prohibited places, in which case the sign is superfluous because I already know it's a prohibited place).

I never see anyone's eyes go to my hip and even then they would really have to study my hip to see anything...
No one does that, plus if caught looking there you could be mistaken as checking something else out and look like a pervert LOL!
Gotta be careful checking out peoples privates in this morally correct society.

#62 ·
“No guns allowed” signs means as much to me as “no colored people allowed” signs, which is absolutely nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except that thankfully, I don't believe you've seen those signs (enforced segregation) in over 50 years!

#68 ·
I am copying this from an email I received today from US Law Shield I am NOT an attorney or the author [emoji16]

As an Independent Program Attorney for U.S. LawShield of Florida, I am often asked, “Can I carry my gun into a bank?”

WHAT THE LAW SAYS

Florida is not an open carry state or a constitutional carry state. In order to carry a firearm on your person in public, you must possess a Concealed Weapon and Firearm License (or “CWFL”) from the State of Florida or an equivalent license from a state with reciprocity.

A bank is not one of the listed prohibited places under Fla. Stat. § 790.06, so you are allowed to carry a concealed firearm into a bank with your CWFL. If there is not a “no gun” sign, then you are good to go, but if there is a posted visible “no gun” sign, then the answer is not as simple.

Florida statutes do not directly address whether these signs are enforceable or not. To make things a little more complicated, there are different opinions among the legal community in regard to their enforceability and there is no case law.

THE RISKS

Since there are no legal opinions on the subject, you may find yourself the test case if you carry a firearm into a bank with a “no gun” sign and you are arrested. It is better to err on the side of caution and leave your firearm in the car if you see a “no gun” sign at your bank, because if you were arrested and the courts find the sign is enforceable, you could be sentenced up to five years in prison for armed trespass.

Alternatively, if you have been given actual notice by a person in authority at the bank that you may not carry on the property and you persist in doing so, you can also be arrested for armed trespassing.

If you have any questions about carrying a firearm into a bank, call U.S. LawShield and ask to speak to your Independent Program Attorney.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#72 ·
Why do they specify a bank? It is true that no case law exists, but that is just as true for Home Depot as it is for any bank. If you don't carry in a bank, because you are being cautious and don't want to become a test case, then you should not carry ANYWHERE that has a "no guns" sign. You are just as likely to become a test case anywhere else as you are at a bank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.