Florida Concealed Carry banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
“No guns allowed” signs means as much to me as “no colored people allowed” signs, which is absolutely nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
“No guns allowed” signs means as much to me as “no colored people allowed” signs, which is absolutely nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except that thankfully, I don't believe you've seen those signs (enforced segregation) in over 50 years!

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I have seen two signs both were on the doors of gun stores, the first one I just didn't go in, the second was at shoot strait I just ignored it. In almost 20 years no one has asked me if I was carrying.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am copying this from an email I received today from US Law Shield I am NOT an attorney or the author

As an Independent Program Attorney for U.S. LawShield of Florida, I am often asked, “Can I carry my gun into a bank?”

WHAT THE LAW SAYS

Florida is not an open carry state or a constitutional carry state. In order to carry a firearm on your person in public, you must possess a Concealed Weapon and Firearm License (or “CWFL”) from the State of Florida or an equivalent license from a state with reciprocity.

A bank is not one of the listed prohibited places under Fla. Stat. § 790.06, so you are allowed to carry a concealed firearm into a bank with your CWFL. If there is not a “no gun” sign, then you are good to go, but if there is a posted visible “no gun” sign, then the answer is not as simple.

Florida statutes do not directly address whether these signs are enforceable or not. To make things a little more complicated, there are different opinions among the legal community in regard to their enforceability and there is no case law.

THE RISKS

Since there are no legal opinions on the subject, you may find yourself the test case if you carry a firearm into a bank with a “no gun” sign and you are arrested. It is better to err on the side of caution and leave your firearm in the car if you see a “no gun” sign at your bank, because if you were arrested and the courts find the sign is enforceable, you could be sentenced up to five years in prison for armed trespass.

Alternatively, if you have been given actual notice by a person in authority at the bank that you may not carry on the property and you persist in doing so, you can also be arrested for armed trespassing.

If you have any questions about carrying a firearm into a bank, call U.S. LawShield and ask to speak to your Independent Program Attorney.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds to me like the US Shield attorney is trying to mitigate their own liability by advising against it and erring on the side of caution...but I could be wrong.

YMMV
I don't think that is the case, he says there is no case law on the issue. I think he is implying that it could go either way and you don't want to be the test case.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I don't think that is the case, he says there is no case law on the issue. I think he is implying that it could go either way and you don't want to be the test case.

I agree with you and my point was as an attorney for US Shield, that is what they probably advise their members that have their “insurance” or whatever it is technically called because then they would have to defend that person on their nickel with no precedent previously set which could get very expensive for them being the attorney representing you as the test case. I’d speculate that is probably not what their firm/organization would like to do. I’m assuming this is how US Shield works, I don’t have them as I have Self Defense Fund which claims to defend you for any gun related arrests/charges so I’m assuming they are most likely the same but admittedly havn’t taken the time to research both again. I did a few years ago when I decided Self Defense Fund seemed to be the best value/coverage/option for me. Also, it think in general, most attorneys would default to advising caution as that would pretty much always be their recommended course of action.

I’m sure Shark could weigh in with his point of view on this.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Why do they specify a bank? It is true that no case law exists, but that is just as true for Home Depot as it is for any bank. If you don't carry in a bank, because you are being cautious and don't want to become a test case, then you should not carry ANYWHERE that has a "no guns" sign. You are just as likely to become a test case anywhere else as you are at a bank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think they used banks as an example because quite a few people look at them differently because some have armed guards and banks are federally insured.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
All valid posts but remember "Concealed Is Concealed".😛

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
All valid posts but remember "Concealed Is Concealed".😛
Agreed, concealed is concealed and better to be carried by six than judged by 12 are two things in the back of my mind, always.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I think they used banks as an example because quite a few people look at them differently because some have armed guards and banks are federally insured.

In Gutmacher’s book he specifically points out the federally insured does not equal federal property like a post office. I believe he went on to state the only ones that qualify are the federal reserve banks and they are not open to the public and I thought he said there were two in Florida, Jacksonville and Miami. It’s been a long time since I read it and that was several years and revisions of his book ago.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
In over 15 years I have never even been asked to show my CWFL, much less asked to leave anywhere, as it should be. I asked about a sign at a gun store an the owner said It's for insurance and want a be Rambo's just keep it holstered, you wouldn't believe how many times someone has handed me a loaded gun asking about repair's.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts