·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's a right of all Americans, even New Jersey Americans:

Judge says handicapped Manville man can get gun permit
New Jersey Star-Ledger
November 10, 2009

There is "no reason" James Cap, a quadriplegic who is physically unable to hold a gun or pull a trigger, should be denied a firearms ID card — a requirement for the purchase of any gun in New Jersey, a judge in Somerville said today.

"I hope you enjoy the use of your firearm," Superior Court Judge John Pursel said before signing an order that will allow Cap to get a permit as long as any guns he buys are stored in a safe and only qualified people assist him with the weapons.

When he buys a gun, Cap will be able to shoot with the help of a friend, who can put his firearm in a special wheelchair mount. A mechanical device will allow him to aim and fire with breaths through a tube.

"You aim it right, left or down and take the shot," explained Cap, saying it is a simple and safe device.

Cap, a 46-year-old Manville resident who was paralyzed by an injury suffered during a high school football game three decades ago, is an avid hunter who had been denied the ID card by a local police chief.

It took some 2 1/2 years, thousands of dollars and the calls of gun-rights advocates for the man to get a firearm permit. He even had his attorney, Edward Kopelson, file a lawsuit against Manville and borough police chief, Mark Peltack, who rejected his application in 2008.

<snip>

Read the full article at http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/2009/11/post_36.html

·
Registered
15,233 Posts
My heavens, they gave this guy a license to buy guns...What if he turns out to be a mass murderer? How will the NJ powers that be live with themselves?:eek:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Good for James Cap. As a crip myself, I would hate to hear of his being refused. Even though I can walk (not far and with a cane), I could be next.:pistols

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Good movie and I am VERY happy to hear that Jame had the fortitude to see it through.

·
Registered
10,968 Posts
I hear Stephen Hawking is this guy's shooting buddy and Hellen Keller is the Range Officer. :rolf

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
What is wrong with hat cop/sherrif? Sinds when do you need working arms and leggs to ownanything? I can't own a TV if i'm blind? Even if the guy didnt wan't to shoot the guns he owns but just collect them.

I can't cook worth a damn so i better not buy a pot or pan then.Let alone a stove.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts