Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just released:

Cliff Maloney, President of Young Americans for Liberty (YAL), has filed a lawsuit against Florida Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Nikki Fried, for her decision to arbitrarily shut down the Concealed Weapon License online application portal.

On March 23, 2020, Fried — Florida’s only statewide elected Democrat — stopped accepting online applications for concealed weapon licenses, citing concerns that Floridians might become “frustrated” at not being able to obtain fingerprinting. On April 29, 2020, Maloney issued a letter to Fried threatening litigation if she did not reopen the online applications.

Rather than reopen the process so Floridians could exercise their constitutional right to bear arms, Fried responded to Maloney’s letter by referring to YAL as “an obscure right-wing fringe group” and boasting: “I promised Floridians that I would stand up to the NRA, that it would no longer have any power in our state’s Department of Agriculture. I will not be bullied by them now!” “Nikki Fried thinks that your right to self-defense is negotiable. She’s wrong,” said Maloney. “This is a blatant disregard for the rule of law, and I will not idly sit by while Nikki Fried uses this crisis to enact her gun-grabbing agenda. I encourage all Americans to join this fight for our rights. We either believe in liberty in times of crisis or we do not believe in liberty at all.”

·
Registered
409 Posts
“I promised Floridians that I would stand up to the NRA, that it would no longer have any power in our state’s Department of Agriculture. I will not be bullied by them now!”

And yet, she got voted in anyway.

·
Super Moderator
27,171 Posts
Apparently a spelling-bee champ she is not if she thinks Y-A-L spells "National Rifle Association."

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
“I promised Floridians that I would stand up to the NRA, that it would no longer have any power in our state’s Department of Agriculture. I will not be bullied by them now!”

Technically, Nikki Fried is correct: She's not being bullied by the NRA.
She's being SUED by them. Big difference.
But that's what happens when you do something illegal, and/or stupid, and/or tramples on the rights of others.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It's my understanding that the Republican establishment would have rather have had a Democrat in that seat than Matt Caldwell, and thus didn't fully support him.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Seems to me there would not be a problem like in the state of Florida if the republican party that has the political majority would install open carry and or Constitutional carry, instead of kissing the rear of the Florida Tourists Bureau.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From Politico this morning:

FRIED WINS IN COURT — During the start of the pandemic, Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried shut down the offices that allow people to get fingerprinted when they apply for a concealed weapon license. Fried also shut down the online portal that accepted concealed weapon license applications. Because of these actions, Fried got sued by Okaloosa County resident Charles Maloney, president of the Young Americans for Liberty.

The lawsuit said the portal shutdown violated 2nd Amendment rights. But earlier this week, Circuit Court Judge Charles Dodson dismissed the lawsuit saying it was moot now because the online portal was turned back on in June and Fried also continues to reopen the offices that help people get the licenses. Fried is opening up a new regional licensing office next Monday, in Orlando, to the public.

The office is now the third office to reopen. “Following the reopening of our North Port and Tallahassee regional offices with enhanced safety measures, we are continuing with a cautious, science-based reopening plan, which includes evaluating regional and county-level COVID-19 data as we consider additional office openings,” Fried said in a statement.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
From Politico this morning:

FRIED WINS IN COURT — During the start of the pandemic, Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried shut down the offices that allow people to get fingerprinted when they apply for a concealed weapon license. Fried also shut down the online portal that accepted concealed weapon license applications. Because of these actions, Fried got sued by Okaloosa County resident Charles Maloney, president of the Young Americans for Liberty.

The lawsuit said the portal shutdown violated 2nd Amendment rights. But earlier this week, Circuit Court Judge Charles Dodson dismissed the lawsuit saying it was moot now because the online portal was turned back on in June and Fried also continues to reopen the offices that help people get the licenses. Fried is opening up a new regional licensing office next Monday, in Orlando, to the public.

The office is now the third office to reopen. “Following the reopening of our North Port and Tallahassee regional offices with enhanced safety measures, we are continuing with a cautious, science-based reopening plan, which includes evaluating regional and county-level COVID-19 data as we consider additional office openings,” Fried said in a statement.
Technically - NOBODY "WON". (No, I haven't read the Judge's order yet.)
The Judge ruled the case was moot.

But the part that irks me is Fried saying "we are continuing with a cautions, science-based...plan".
Right --- because I can catch COVID from my computer keyboard in my home.
What a moron.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Typical Dumbocrat “ I’m out to save you all from your stupid selves, cause I know what you want, weather you want it or not “. How Piglosie of her! Hey why isn’t Fudley handjobber suin her also?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
And yet, it is entirely possible that it is the publicity that made her decide that she shouldn't press this too far. Who knows when they would have started accepting applications again, if there hadn't been any publicity? Obviously, no one (except perhaps Nikki herself).

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Anything’s possible I suspect. I just thought I saw something from her earlier on saying that she was going to open things back up when it was safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts