Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I had a gun in the house I started putting night lghts at certain points throughout the house. This serves two purposes. My room is always dark so it allows me to see silhouette of anyone standing in the living, dining and family rooms. It also helps because sometimes my kids get up in the night and come to my room. I tried having total darkness in the house because I know my layout well but it would be hard to id someone in the dark if I had to shoot. I would rather not rely on a tactical light until I'm trained properly with one.
I would like to know if anyone does the same or what do you rely on for night vision.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I have a relatively small house, but I don't keep it in total darkness at night, either. One reason is that my daughter has a habit of getting up in the middle of the night. If I have to get up at night to check the locks (which I'll often do about three times a night...at least...ah, OCD), I like being able to see without my corrective lenses and without smashing my toe into something. Or stepping on the dog.

Also, like you, I find it would be easier to identify a threat with at least a little light. And total darkness works both ways. Even if an intruder doesn't know your home's layout, it doesn't mean the bad guy can't hide in the darkness just as easily as you can.

-JT

·
Registered
118 Posts
Night vision in your home is very important. You can't shoot what you can't see or identify. I have a low level light in the hallways and by the front door area. Its easy for me to identify someone when all the main lights are off.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Always leave a light on. We're in 1400 SF...so one well placed light is usually fine.
I used to sleep with the door open too...but the wife wanted it shut at night once the boys were older...so we don't leave it open anymore.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
yep I usually keep some lights on very low,bedroom doors is locked Gun nearby got to get through my door and my dogs bark will wake up the dead .My stepson not here yet soon to be moving back gonna instruct him if he hears anything to stay in his room lock the door and do not come out til mom or me say its clear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
good idea

once you've adjusted to the low light a simple low energy light can brighten up a whole living room i have alot of these flat green lights all around the house that i got at walmart for $2 a pack come in blue also.
also its not always a good idea to shine a flashlight mounted on a firearm at someone that goes bump in the night especially if its your kids or partner so motion lights would be good in areas like the kitchen and hallway

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Streamlight makes a stylus type light that has a green color/lens to it. I use these all the time while hunting. It doesn't take long to get used to the color and you can really see a lot with it. At 4:00 in the morning and it is pitch black in the woods, I guess any little bit of light helps. It doesn't spook game either. I had 3 does walk within 5 feet of me before shooting time and they didn't pay any attention to me. But the dingbats walking in with white lights scared the mess out of them. I had about 15 minutes left before shooting light and the way they were grazing, I could have filled the freezer had it not been for the other guys walking in. : censored

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have several lights on timers that go on and off at night. They keep a low level amount of light and give the appearance that something is going on if observed from the outside.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nightlights

We use phot sensitive night lights in all the bathrooms that go out at day break or when the room light goes on. We also have one on the back patio area.

Since the bedrooms do NOT have any nightlights, anyone coming through the house is nicely silouhetted by the night lights.

Of course, trying to sight a pistol in that dim light is useless so I will have to rely on my old cowboy aim or use a flashlight. OBTW, have you ever noticed on CSI when Captain Brass is using a flashlight to search with, he has his arms crossed so that the flashlight is about 6 inches to the right of his body - if a BG takes a shot at the light, it should miss.

That is one VERY GOOD reason why I would NEVER mount a light on a gun.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
last year I picked up some great nigth lights from Sam's Club.
The function as:
1. a night light that automatically lights up when it's dark.
2. A light that comes on if there's a loss of power.
3. A flash light if you pull it out of the wall.

It's recharagable and not too big.

AFS

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same idea about leaveing night light on in certain areas of the house, so as to get the upperhand on the bad guy; because i allso sleep in pich darkness. but as a parent ( GOOD PARENT) you develop parental instinct and know your kids paterns at night ..when my door or window sound like it ripping off i know its not my kids at 2 in the morning.stay in the dark and your eyes will focus faster than the person who is in the light and trying to focus in the dark .give them time and dont miss

·
Registered
90 Posts
I never thought about it much till the wife bought some of those smelly things with a night light built in , always counted on "Night Vision" but kinda like the lights for back lights always sleep with piece on night stand

·
Registered
192 Posts
Home invasions or other types of home assaults are increasing at a rapid rate. I use motion & infrared sensors and lights and and I always lock the door to the bedroom. That is, I use zones of security.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I have placed three photo cell night lights that come on at dark and go off at dawn in my home.

One is right by the front door, another is in the great room, and the third is just outside my bedroom door around the corner.

The first one indicates to anyone outside the front door that the entranceway is lit, and if you come in there you are going to be "lit up".

The second one illuminates the family room area, with the same results, you are being lit up.

The one just outside my bedroom door serves two purposes. I originally placed it there so it would highlight in the doorway anybody coming in, but as an added bonus it totally disables anyones night vision coming into my bedroom, thus I can see them, and they can't see anything but pitch black.

Making them a ........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts