Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just talked to the Sig Law enforcement rep and he directed me to the website to verify but it looks like they are announcing that because of supply chain issues they are no longer providing any nickel plated ammunition.

Grab it while you can get it, boys and girls!

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
shrug never really saw the point, other than to make the ammo look fancier...

Reactions: Skeptic 9094

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just talked to the Sig Law enforcement rep and he directed me to the website to verify but it looks like they are announcing that because of supply chain issues they are no longer providing any nickel plated ammunition.

Grab it while you can get it, boys and girls!
It's the price of nickel

This chart is the price per ton in us$
Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56,518 Posts
Nickel plates cases are slicker than brass casings, thus are a little more reliable in feeding to chamber and running up through the mag body.

I prefer nickel plated brass for my SD loads, and a lot of the premium stuff I carry is nickel plated. It's not just for bling, and it owuld be hard to think it's simply a bling thing when a lot of SD premium ammo uses it.

Pro's of nickel:
More corrosion resistant
Lower coefficient of friction which allows slicker feeding in semi-autos (easier sliding rounds on top of each other in the magazine)
Easier loading/unloading in revolvers

cons of nickel:

More expensive than regular brass
More brittle so may neck split/crack after fewer reloads
Different metal properties may require modification of reloading dies (check length and crimp)
Plating may flake and get into dies where it can scratch die and future rounds

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nickel is not as amenable to reloading as brass but generally I prefer a nickel plating for self-defense ammo. It has a better coefficient of friction so it’s easier to load and unload, it’s less resistant to corrosion and back in my day if you carried brass cased ammo in a leather belt loop holder, everything would get discolored including leather. It chambers more easily and generally I think is preferable for self-defense ammo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts