Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas Station Clerk Grabs Shotgun from Robber on Long Island
Friday, 23 Oct 2009, 6:37 PM EDT

MYFOXNY.COM - A gas station attendant in Elmont, Long Island, took a shotgun away form two would-be robbers and chased after them.

Just before midnight Wednesday, as gas station attendant Mustapha Yakupoglu was closing up the USA Gas Station in Elmont, two would-be robbers waltzed in, armed with a shotgun.

They pointed the shotgun at Yakupoglu--within 10 seconds he had disarmed them. He then chased after the two thugs, who ran away with a feet-don't-fail-me-now sprint.

Story continues (with Video):

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/091023-Clerk-Grabs-Shotgun-from-Robber

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Good disarm, i am no expert but that disarm looked good.

At the end of the article this is said.

Police warn the public that you should never try to disarm an attacker unless you are sure he or she is about to shoot you.
what? that is so ridiculous how am i going to know if if they are going to shoot me or not? Point a gun at me i am going to do something.

·
Registered
54,325 Posts
The robbers were not committed or aggressive in their demeanor. The muzzle of the shottie had not been pointed at the clerk though there was plenty of time to have done so.

He parried the barrel as it was coming up online very slowly and the robber based gave it to him without a struggle.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Say the robbers were more agressive and pointed it straight at him would the same maneuver be the thing to do?

·
Registered
54,325 Posts
Where he is behind the counter and can't move forward [ into the threat to jam him and the gun ], he could get the muzzle off line in the same manner but would not be able to control the weapon with a strong enough hold if it was retracted/yanked back, which could then be used against him.

There's a really good long gun disarm but you have to be able to move toward the aggressor to pull it off. In this case, if they were aggressive and I was going to make the move against the one with the gun, I'd grab the barrel with both hands taking it offline and hold on and not just parry it with one hand.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I see, i understand now. thank you sir.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts