Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hunt hog or deer with my 308 but I don't know where to start. I live in Jacksonville, don't have to the money to go on guided hunt, so that's not an option. Also aside from having a rifle, I have little else. Where should I start?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Hog hunting can be done in Floridia Wildlife management areas. Hogs are all over Florida.

You almost need dogs for hog hunting. Start with the internet, or local taxidermists, bait stores, ammo stores, etc. Sometimes a local farmer has had his fill of feral hogs and welcome a shooter.

I went hog hunting in lake okeechobee for $150.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/ ... public land

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you've never been hunting I strongly suggest Florida's hunter Education course first off..

http://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education

I think it's actually required now for the License. I know it is for youths. Correction it IS required if born after May 31, 1975. Even so I still recommend it. Yes they will go over gun saftey, however they also cover the hunting related aspects, i.e. Valid Antler length, not shooting Doe's w/o a permit, what not to kill during a given season. For example killing a Turkey during Deer/Hog season will get you a hefty fine, and possibly get you seeing grey bars for a few years.

Where you can hunt.. check the links to be sure if it's gun hunt, bow, black powder hunt or other types.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures

P.S. you have already missed the Drawlings for the first 2 weeks (Gun Hunt Season) in some Wildlife management areas. I know casue I ended up with the 2nd week in Green Swamp first year in a long time I didn't get first week. And they have already assigned some of the camp sights there as well.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
JT,
Please explain how FL's draw program works?

Links would be a great help as well....

(I grew up hunting on extended family farm land in OK, and have not figured out the system here...)

Thanks,
K

·
Registered
210 Posts
JT,
Please explain how FL's draw program works?

Links would be a great help as well....

(I grew up hunting on extended family farm land in OK, and have not figured out the system here...)

Thanks,
K
Just got home and saw your post. My Dad is the Pro when it comes to this stuff. He has offered if your willing to talk to you on the phone. He tells me it's a lot to explain and can be confusing. Not to mention it would take him a week per sentance to type it out. He asked I have you send me a PM and he'll give you a call and explain it personally, or answer any Florida hunting question for that mater to the 2 first poster above.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you know anyone with a farm or alot of land, that's the best way to go, If not ask the farmer if he has a Hog problem and you would be willing to remove as many as you can. Most farmers in Florida do have Hog problems so some will be willing if you sign a waiver . I'm lucky my Brother owns a 325 acre ranch out west of Fort Pierce. Have 5 30 gallon feeders set up and as soon as it cools off a bit I'm out there every weekend

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
A 308 rifle some camouflage and a climbing treestand is all you need to get on deer on public property. I don't know about jax but i do well here in the panhandle with my 270 and summit open shot climber. Its much more difficult, and less productive than hunting over feed on private property (not bashing btw, i wish i had access to land myself) but it is a cool feeling to get one. Its work, but you can do it. You must know the regs backwards and forwards, and i highly suggest hunters safety as well. As a HS instructor it can do nothing but good for you i promise. Watch your scent, it will bust you long before movement. Don't stick too close to where everyone else is. Pressured deer stay away from high traffic. Get to the back and log stand time. If you are fortunate enough to gain access to private land, help as much as possible with work, feed, money for cameras, feeders, gas, etc. It goes a long way with the land owner. Good luck. In between duck season you can be ill be in a tree somewhere.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
If you know anyone with a farm or alot of land, that's the best way to go, If not ask the farmer if he has a Hog problem and you would be willing to remove as many as you can. Most farmers in Florida do have Hog problems so some will be willing if you sign a waiver . I'm lucky my Brother owns a 325 acre ranch out west of Fort Pierce. Have 5 30 gallon feeders set up and as soon as it cools off a bit I'm out there every weekend

My kids will be sad but I'm up for adoption....:grin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts