Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, against the popular vote, I went and got myself the Taurus Slim chambered in .40 S&W. And, after a really short range trip last night, I'm feeling pretty confident in my choice!

It's been in for about a week now, and last night, on a whim, I called up a friend and took them out to go "break it in" with me. We got to the range with only about 20 minutes left to go through the 100 rounds that I brought along, so we weren't exactly pacing our shooting. We got a system going though, and while one of us "unloaded" a mag, the other topped off the next one. We made it through all 100 rounds in less than 15 minutes, and shot one handed with our dominant and off hands, two handed, and from the hip.

The fact that we did not encounter a single malfunction really helped us make good time! :thumsup

Some thoughts:

- It's my first time with a pistol this small, and the recoil spring in this thing makes it so that a more conscious effort to rack the slide has to be made (In comparison to the full-size pistols I'm used to handling).

- I brought the sight adjustment tool but did not even need to glance at it. It was dead on out of the box, which was a relief for me, having heard so many other people online complain about their 709's shooting low and left out of the box. :thumsup

- The Slim's recoil with the .40? Totally manageable! That's another worry that was (fair, but) a bit unfounded. I'm going back soon to try out the SD rounds that I bought for it after shooting that same night, and I'll give my verdict on their recoil after.

- My friend, whose fingers are a bit fatter, reported that he found it easier to hold the pistol one-handed than he did with two hands. We're still working on his grip though, so I dunno. I personally found it easy to hold/handle with one or both hands.

- Of course, the trigger is very different from a 1911, and the size of the pistol grip makes the length of pull very different. Of course, I'm going to need more than 15 minutes of practice to get used to it. It kind of reminds me of the M9, and how the trigger feels like it's really far back when it's in single-action mode (on the slim the trigger remains in the same position in either DA or SA mode, but will only start to feel tight near its rear-most position in SA mode).

- At about 50 rounds in, I started noticing that if I held my trigger finger low on the trigger, it would get smacked by the inside of the trigger guard on some of the shots. Nothing big though.

I can't really think of anything else that I want to share at this time, aside from the fact that I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far! Feel free to ask any questions! :grin

Attachments

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol and thanks for the range report :drinks

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Hey, hey, hey, Palerider! I'm so happy that you like your new PT740! It's a great little compact, and from the sounds of it I think you're going to be pleased. Great inititial range report, and keep us updated on the next evaluation.

Beers PT7.. Bro',
Ken

·
Registered
624 Posts
when my wife was looking for a weapon she looked at this one over and over again. I pushed her that direction but she had other thoughts. lol... I loved the way this one felt. Nice pick up!!

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Awesome! Congrats on the new gun...it just feels great when it works like it should out of the box. Looking forward to any follow-up reports.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, y'all! I'm planning on hitting the range again this weekend, and I'll be sure to follow up!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a little sorry for not having returned to update on my range trips since I posted this. I have actually been able to make several more since, but have been way too busy with school and life to put together a post pictures and well described details. Without spending too much time, I'll say that there hasn't been a single malfunction yet, that the little pistol is damn accurate (if you can get used to the trigger, more on that later), but there is something a little weird (that I'm meaning to look into) that I'll also mention when I get the time.

Until then, I'll see y'all around the boards!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just picked my 740 up, gonna try it out this weekend. Gave my 709 to my Brother up at his ranch West of Port St. Lucie. He's getting scared wanderin around with no gun...Lotsa mean ole Hogs:laughing

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Congrats on the new pickup. Glad to hear it worked how its supposed to.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Heard lots of shooters shoot low, and to the left? Flinch comes to mind. My next buy is the Slim in 9mm, to each his own. Love to hear when guns go bang, all the time, right out of the box, they should.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice looker, nice shooter....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts