Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 R1200RS
Picked this up Tuesday, just out this morning putting some miles on her.
Just a few pics from this mornings ride out to the Salt River
20201015_101943.jpg
20201015_102025.jpg
20201015_102449.jpg
20201013_163401.jpg

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
She’s purdy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Nice! Comfortable upright position? This would qualify as a sport tourer, no? Lots of miles on a nimble and comfortable machine.

·
Registered
54,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! Comfortable upright position? This would qualify as a sport tourer, no? Lots of miles on a nimble and comfortable machine.
Yes it's an upright position, but only because I added risers to the bars. And right again, sport touring. This one is water cooled called a hexhead, the 2012 GS is air/oil cooled and called a camhead. Both have dual overhead cams, dual spark plugs.
It'll take me a while to figure out all the settings, each button does anywhere from 4 to 8 different features/settings. Got 80 miles on it this morning, It'll take a few hundred more to have the balance of this one as ingrained as that GS. Speaking of which, that 8K miles on the GS to Ak. two years ago in 3 weeks put me as one with the bike. I'll get there with this one eventually.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Wow, very nice. Good luck with that one sir. (y)

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
Sweet bike!

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
nice ride...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Nice looking machine! This is a serious question from a non-motorcyclist- why BMW? There seem to be a lot of nice bikes out there, what makes BMW your choice time after time?

·
Registered
54,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice looking machine! This is a serious question from a non-motorcyclist- why BMW? There seem to be a lot of nice bikes out there, what makes BMW your choice time after time?
Good question sir,
It all started in 1991, when a buddy of mine sold me his 88 K100RS after purchasing his new 1991. I bought that because I liked the color, and that particular bike was known to go 300K miles fairly regularly without any major known issues. That bike was totaled when an errant driver came into my lane and I had the choice of smacking her nearly head on or take the curb. Curb it was, bike did an end over end, totaled.

I strayed from that maker to Honda Gold Wings for many years with the occasional Yamaha or Kawasaki in the mix. The Wing is known as a bike that will do 200-250K and I did a lot of miles on those bikes, sometimes riding from Boston to Little Rock or New Orleans for a weekend of knife training with Bagwell or Keating [ or both ]. They are like sitting in your best recline, comfort while doing 1K mile days days upon end was a pleasure.
I had gone without a bike for 3 years, and started looking at Beemers again because that K100RS was such a great riding motor. Found the GT for a good price, but found I couldn't sit on it for more than a few hours before I got the bum burn, even with a custom seat [ which most people go with on a lot of Beemers because the motherland has alway had the reputation of designing seats that felt like sitting on a wood board. My brother has it now and he can ride it all day and loves the bike.

Heading to Ak. two years ago, I was looking for an adventure bike that did double duty, long haul on the highways and lots of rough unpaved road once we got past Fairbanks heading to the artic. I looked at several makers adv. bikes but the seat height prevented me from choosing one of them. The GS off/on road was somewhat better and had the reputation of the two guys who traversed two continents from the tip of SAmerica to the arctic circle [ now a book called long way round ]. Bough that one for that trip specifically and still own it.

Recently, I wanted a more street oriented motor, so I started looking at dresser models from Honda, Kawi, Yamaha. Problem with most was they were just as heavy or more so than the GS [ to the tune of a couple hundred #'s more ]. I rode dressers for years in Harley and Wings, but somehow 30 years later, I found test riding them I wasn't willing to put up with the weight of them any longer.

Having decided no more touring bikes due to the weight and having to muscle them around in traffic as a daily commuter, I started looking at the bike like ADulay rides. I test rode one and it was on the heavy side once again, still wanting for something a little more agile in slow speed traffic than my GS, or those RT's [ but if I was 20 years younger, the RT would be sitting in my garage.

So I started looking at sport touring bikes [ my first K100RS was such a bike and remembering the long distance comfort while traveling multiple 700-1K days I started looking at the RS's once again. Walked into my mechanics place to get an appt for an oil change on the GS, and spotted this 16 1200RS on his showroom floor. Inquired with my mechanic, he got it out front and said be back by 5pm. I took it for a 30 minute ride and brought it back. Asked what MY price was, and he worked some numbers. If I gave him what they were asking for it, he'd throw in 2 years of extended warranty [ worth 1100.00 ] and a new set of tires [ 500.00 ] and pay tax title and license fees [ another 700.00 ]. Told him I'd be back in 2 days with the money, have it serviced and ready to go. It was a very good deal, and one NO bmw dealer would have ever considered, at least no the ones around here ].

So, I'm back on an RS which was my first Beemer back in 91. Coming full circle, but for one reason, the RS ticks all the boxes once again for a high mileage long distance machine like it did for me 29 years ago. I've still got the black beast only because dealers will give me 50% of it's value on a trade and I won't let them steal it from me, so I'll keep it. I'm not interested in selling it privately, and I kinda like the idea of having a Mack truck with the grunt to go anywhere anytime and another more nimble machine. Both motors are boxers, and they are super easy to work on for valve adjustments, and both motors are known to be running well into the 200K numbers without a lot of issues as long as one maintains them properly [ and I'm ocd about that on all my mechanical equipment because the older I get, the less I want to be walking or pushing lol ].

I did look at some of the 500-750cc street bikes, but didn't like the lack of grunt as I'm accustomed to 1000cc or better motors as well as feeling too light for me personally. The biggest hurdle for me though was they are mostly chain driven, and I prefer shaft drive motors and those are usually found on the bigger CC bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts