Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many rounds to break in a new pistol? I have a S&W Sigma 9mm, 1 light strike and 2 fail to feed in about the first 60 rounds. The next 75 went fine. I fired a mix of Federal 115 JHP's, Remington 115 JHP's, Winchester white box 115 FMJ and American Eagle 147 flat points. Like a dufuss I'm not sure which failed and I'll make note next time. This was the first I have fired a gun in about 30 years and I was exicted like a 12 year old kid with a 22 bolt action!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Your light stike could be to a primer problem (double thickness at the point of impact) that the name of I can't think of right now. Get a little metal polish and a dremel tool with a buffing head and polish your feed ramp. That may help with the feed problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your light stike could be to a primer problem (double thickness at the point of impact) that the name of I can't think of right now. Get a little metal polish and a dremel tool with a buffing head and polish your feed ramp. That may help with the feed problems.
MAY I INTERJECT HERE?

1. Never, ever, ever........(in my own experience)............polish your own feed ramp. Have it done professionally. It's really not that much. And remember the one adage here about metal: You can take some off, but you really can't put it back if you take off TOO much.

Find a Good Gun Smith.

2. 200 rounds, for me, is a good "break-in" shooting period for a gun. But I'm not a writer for a magazine, so I just shoot what I plan to carry with. (Bring a note-pad and a counter). Write down your feed jams, ejection jams, misfires, etc. It's your gun, so keep a journal. If you're trying different ammo to see what does best with your ammo and gun, then keep different notes.

It ALL comes down to what YOU are comfortable with and what shoots best in your gun. It's your life.

-Wraith

·
Registered
55,827 Posts
I've polished every feed ramp on a new or used gun that I purchase with the exception of the glocks since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express back in 1982.:rolf

Seriously, Wraith is right, if you don't know what you are doing, take it to someone you know does. I say that as there are many gunsmiths who've ruined a good gun themselves. Being a gunsmith doesn't mean you know how to polish the feed ramp properly either.

I have done my own since 82, it's not that difficult, but I watched a real pro do several of my 1911's first.

My suggestion, dump the sigma. Get yourself a glock. You'll never be happy with the Sigma's performance. They are, for the most part, inexpensive paperweights that can't be trusted when you need them the most.

Brownie

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've polished every feed ramp on a new or used gun that I purchase with the exception of the glocks since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express back in 1982.:rolf

ONE. Seriously, Wraith is right, if you don't know what you are doing, take it to someone you know does. (I say that, as there are many gunsmiths who've ruined a good gun themselves. Being a gunsmith doesn't mean you know how to polish the feed ramp properly either.)

TWO. I have done my own since 82, it's not that difficult, but I watched a real pro do several of my 1911's first.

THREE. My suggestion, dump the Sigma. Get yourself a Glock. You'll never be happy with the Sigma's performance. They are, for the most part, inexpensive paperweights that can't be trusted when you need them the most.

Brownie
One-a..........I was right? How'd THAT happen? :drinks But, yea. I repair and replace parts, etc., on my own..........I just remember the first time I smelled metal burning on the first one, with a Dremel running. Spooks me now.

One-b........Very true as well. Find, (and search for), a Gun-Smith that knows the type of gun that you want the feed ramp polished for. It's really not that much. ($65 for my .45 And that was polished feed ramp to barrel mouth/mating.)

Two........Read above. The smell of burning metal, arrrrrgggghhhhh!

Three.......Glock's are great, are many people attest to. But what so wrong with Sigma's? An, "Inexpensive paper-weight?" Do tell.

And as always, I like to end my diatribes with the adage.............

Brownies are HOT, when they're over the age of 18.

-Wraith :laughing

·
Registered
55,827 Posts
Three.......Glock's are great, are many people attest to. But what so wrong with Sigma's? An, "Inexpensive paper-weight?" Do tell.

Sigmas are poor copies of glocks, at best. Most sigmas suffer from some types of problems at one time or another, glocks do not. Sigmas will not last as long as a glock will. Their initial cost is less for a reason. We get them back in the shop quite frequently, but I've only seen one used glock have a problem that needed to be fixed in over two years at the shop.

Brownies are HOT, when they're over the age of 18.

If they're over 18, their girl scouts, not brownies:rolf

Brownie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts