Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with these? Especially interested in the diesel coming out. I’m looking for something to leave up in the mountains and I am kind of a hot rodder.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I haven’t heard great things about them, but I don’t own one. I’ve read complaints about being overpriced for what you get, problems with steering, handling, transmission, underpowered, bed is useless as a truck, etc. You will always have haters no matter what the vehicle. What works and fills a need for one doesn’t mean it will fill that need for everyone, so you have to read reviews with a grain of salt. People are also more likely to complain about something, than express how much they like something.

I was looking for a new vehicle lately and considered the Gladiator, but it wouldn’t fit everything I needed...primarily around passenger and cargo space. My wife on the other hand likes the bells and whistles. I ended up getting a 2020 F-150 King Ranch.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I think Jeeps are pretty solid vehicles.

I just gave my Jeep Patriot to my youngest nephew who's just learning to drive.
2014, 120k miles - never had any major problems with it. Two bad coil packs, and two worn out wheel bearings (different wheels).
Otherwise, just the usual: batteries, oil changes, etc.... Strong air cond., never any problems.

I replaced it with something a bit more upscale: A Jeep Cherokee. (Battleship grey, looks sharp!)
Leather, and loaded with all the stuff I might actually use, though there are models that are more decked-out.
I had looked at the Grand Cherokee, but it's more complicated, and just too much "vehicle" for me.

So, while I can't say much about the Gladiator, my buying history strongly suggests that a Jeep, in general, is a pretty solidly built vehicle.
And at least in the case of the Patriot, very easy to work on. (I'll probably miss that one soon...)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I don’t have any experience myself. However that new 3rd gen ecodiesel is getting a lot of buzz. The numbers coming out are impressive IMHO. Not the most power as similar class diesels, but still impressive. It’s the fuel economy I’m very interested in.

Im looking at FINALLY replacing my aged Cummins Ram that can’t pass a fuel island without wanting to stop for a drink. I no longer need the power of it but I do tow enough to want another diesel. So I’ve been eyeballing the Ram 1500 ecodiesel. You just can’t beat diesel for towing IMHO. Particularly fuel savings while towing. That ecodiesel is killing it in economy numbers. (In the Ram at least. I think the gladiator is expected to be a little more thirsty)

A buddy has the 2nd gen ecodiesel and loves it. You‘ll definitely find haters out there. But, I’m almost convinced to pull the trigger myself.

Im a Jeep addict as well. Had a few wranglers. I like the Gladiator. IMHO, it’s a solid combining of what I love about my truck and my Jeeps. I just need the towing and stability of a full size.

As stated above, keep on the reviews. But, you’ll find haters for any flavor out there. Honestly, I get my best research on forums. Those folks usually own one. It’s not the usual group of Ford owners trolling review sites and social media.

Let us know if you bag one. I would definitely be curious as to your appraisal. (y)

I only wish you could ditch that God awful DEF crap!

ETA: Oh, and for the mountains, as an avid off-road enthusiast, there’s no substitute for torque IMHO. If and when I do another wrangler, it’ll be tge diesel. Sand and mud need high revving horsepower wheel speed. But for climbing and rocks, torque is king.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve read some criticism on it, but the diesel has 445 ft pounds of torque and was outrunning hemis. We have a bunch of lots on a mountaintop in NC we’re gonna build cabins on and it’s pretty steep, sometimes ice. My 68 Land Cruiser has no doors, top, heater etc. It will stay in Fla.

Beautiful King Ranch!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can’t beat the big Cummins though. I have a 19. Bought my 14 for 41K, sold it for 36K with 70K miles right before buying new one. Hate DEF too.

I have another Jeep, Grand Cherokee Trackhawk and love it and have had no trouble. I drive it like I stole it too.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I have absolutely loved my Cummins. But it’s almost 20 years old and has nearly 300K on the clock. You can’t hurt ‘em. But, it’s noisy, smelly, smokes like my Uncle Ed and the truck surrounding it is leaving parts along the road like crumbs on a trail. Besides, I just don’t need a 3/4 ton any more. Sold that RV when we left Florida.

I‘m inheriting a 20 ft travel trailer from family. A 1/2 ton is all I need. I’d like to take the Mrs. on a trip without a loan from the bank to pay for fuel.

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Can’t beat the big Cummins though. I have a 19. Bought my 14 for 41K, sold it for 36K with 70K miles right before buying new one. Hate DEF too.

I have another Jeep, Grand Cherokee Trackhawk and love it and have had no trouble. I drive it like I stole it too.
If you need someone to “watch” over the Trackhawk while you are up north, give me a shout. I will drag race.......uhm, start it from time to time and wash as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I have absolutely loved my Cummins. But it’s almost 20 years old and has nearly 300K on the clock. You can’t hurt ‘em. But, it’s noisy, smelly, smokes like my Uncle Ed and the truck surrounding it is leaving parts along the road like crumbs on a trail. Besides, I just don’t need a 3/4 ton any more. Sold that RV when we left Florida.

I‘m inheriting a 20 ft travel trailer from family. A 1/2 ton is all I need. I’d like to take the Mrs. on a trip without a loan from the bank to pay for fuel.
Love my Cummins, its loud, only smokes when it runs a rolling regen. And can haul 80k pounds

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Reactions: RadTek

·
Super Moderator
27,083 Posts
🤣

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the old 6bt’s 330’s in a boat a few years back, 6CT’s 450hp in a 38 Bertram, bug foggers.

Now I have a pair of electronic 540’s in another boat and they are pretty smoke free except a puff on acceleration. Two stroke Detroit’s are still my favorites.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
In truth, mine (2nd gen) only smokes because it’s over-fueling and I’ve got a heavy foot. Other than a few valve adjustments, a water pump and an injector pump, I’ve barely touched it.

I used to do a lot of heavy towing. So, I’ve done the diff. fluid and transmission a few times. I haven’t even done the brakes as often. (As I should) Unfortunately, the interior is absolutely falling apart, A/C been out for 4 years, and electrical problems. The PCU is also finally going south.

I don’t need the payload or towing capacity anymore. Time for a replacement.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. When everything else disintegrates on the truck, the Cummins diesel will still be there.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to the dealer couple days ago to look at the gladiators. Couldn’t seem to get past the charger hellcat widebody.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know about the pick up but I already have a 2019 Cummins 4 x 4. It’s going to be the TRX To compete with the Ford raptor.Actually, there are rumors around Mopar that they are going to do a hellcat version of the grand Wagoneer.

I love the hellcat motor. I had a 2016 challenger hellcat and now I have a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk with the hellcat motor and four-wheel-drive. There’s nothing like that supercharger whine. They just drive like old school muscle cars with comfortable air-conditioned seats and satellite radio.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts