Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I stopped by my favorite LGS yesterday afternoon, just to see what the conditions were. The firearm inventory was well below normal; about 20% of what Mike usually kept on hand. He said that everything he gets in pretty much sells within 2-3 days.

Anyway, after checking out a couple of new engraved Colt 1911’s which were much too polished and pretty to ever see the inside of a holster; I wandered over to the snubby case, and saw the new factory engraved matte stainless S&W Model 640-1. Since it’s a Centennial Model, it’s a no-lock. The barrel is a one-piece, too. It has a 2 1/8“ barrel rather than the most often found 1 7/8”, I suppose because it’s in .357 magnum, rather than .38 spl. The DOA trigger pull is smooth and not too heavy, yet easy to stage for a SA pull.

The gun came with a wooden presentation case, which I was pleasantly surprised to find a “made in USA” sticker on when I got home.

Attached are several photos taken from different angles, as I was trying to get the engraving to show up. I was fairly successful, but I never could get the cylinder and barrel engraving to show very well.

I‘d sold my old hand engraved Model 60 about a year ago for a ridiculous price, and figured I’d get a replacement someday, which turned out to be 9/11/2020.

Edit: Oops; it looks like I did a “mirror image” edit on the last pic; as the “S&W 357 Magnum” on the barrel is backwards. Damn; the whole gun is backwards! Well, if you ever wondered what a left-handed snubbie looked like...

86D73877-0AD7-4CDB-A291-20C9A54BDFD3.jpeg
E5FE5051-7494-4183-B0E8-E6C7818E4195.jpeg
4A7BDC4E-43AB-4EEB-A319-E7D9E84A105F.jpeg
D33AA846-B530-4D36-A6D2-7930356D3AD0.jpeg
72A7585F-33EA-4214-A766-62507734E474.jpeg
DED869D0-B9A1-4499-81A5-20EB493E89D9.jpeg
B02457EE-6008-479D-83DD-2E036BBFEB69.jpeg
417268A9-C78B-45ED-AA30-3A5AFC0A6ED2.jpeg

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Very nice! I like those grips, too.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Beautiful! Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, y’all.

It’ll be my light duty band practice and walk the dogs gun. Or, I could go with Brownie’s system, and carry my old Colt Cobra as well for a NY reload.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Wow! That is a beauty, congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,122 Posts
Real nice score, Rick! (y) (y)

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, y’all.

I have it loaded with .357 mag 158gr JHPs, so after shooting five of those, I’d likely be relieved to pull out the old Cobra.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
The stocks are really nice looking, but look slippery where slippery shouldn’t be. What your opinion of them as you have handled it?

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The stocks are really nice looking, but look slippery where slippery shouldn’t be. What your opinion of them as you have handled it?

I don’t find them to be slippery at all. They don’t have a glossy or slippery finish, and are checkered.

That said, I have no problem in controlling my 1911’s with gloss-finished smooth wood stocks, either.

·
Registered
54,493 Posts
I stopped by my favorite LGS yesterday afternoon, just to see what the conditions were. The firearm inventory was well below normal; about 20% of what Mike usually kept on hand. He said that everything he gets in pretty much sells within 2-3 days.

Anyway, after checking out a couple of new engraved Colt 1911’s which were much too polished and pretty to ever see the inside of a holster; I wandered over to the snubby case, and saw the new factory engraved matte stainless S&W Model 640-1. Since it’s a Centennial Model, it’s a no-lock. The barrel is a one-piece, too. It has a 2 1/8“ barrel rather than the most often found 1 7/8”, I suppose because it’s in .357 magnum, rather than .38 spl. The DOA trigger pull is smooth and not too heavy, yet easy to stage for a SA pull.

The gun came with a wooden presentation case, which I was pleasantly surprised to find a “made in USA” sticker on when I got home.

Attached are several photos taken from different angles, as I was trying to get the engraving to show up. I was fairly successful, but I never could get the cylinder and barrel engraving to show very well.

I‘d sold my old hand engraved Model 60 about a year ago for a ridiculous price, and figured I’d get a replacement someday, which turned out to be 9/11/2020.

Edit: Oops; it looks like I did a “mirror image” edit on the last pic; as the “S&W 357 Magnum” on the barrel is backwards. Damn; the whole gun is backwards! Well, if you ever wondered what a left-handed snubbie looked like...

View attachment 69026 View attachment 69027 View attachment 69028 View attachment 69029 View attachment 69030 View attachment 69031 View attachment 69032 View attachment 69033
Nice pick up Rick. I've had my 640-1 s/s 357 like this one you have now for decades. Also a no lock, mine before they went to that silly thing. Mine's not brushed stainless like yours.
It wears a hip grip and Tyler T, one of the few I'll not let go.

Congrats

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Brownie. I had a plain stainless one back in the early ‘90’s, and it was a fine handgun. If memory serves, I traded it in on an AirLite-Ti. It was very light, but was a handfull with +P .38 spl. This ones not going anywhere.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a centinial lemon squeezer made in 1948 it was my first carry gun and still works great paid 225$ for it 20 years ago, great buy. It has a 4 digit S#. View attachment 69052
I had a very early one of those, but I never carried it because it was so nice. The serial number was 620.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I had an early model 36 that my dad won for one dollar in a punch board game at a fishing tackle store. He gave it to me and I carried it forever on my ankle as a BUG. I passed it on to my ex fiancé‘s oldest son who is about to become a neurosurgeon, I thought it would be good karma for him.

I also had a 640, Rick. After I had my cervical fusion, I stupidly went to the range one morning and fired an underwood 1600 ft./s load. It jerked my neck so bad that my right index finger started uncontrollably shaking in all directions. I gave that one away too.

It’s nice to actually talk about firearms once in a while.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Not a S&W fan.....but you are trying to convert me with that one.....That is really nice....great pick.....Ebl

·
Super Moderator
27,122 Posts
Not a S&W fan.....but you are trying to convert me with that one.....That is really nice....great pick.....Ebl
Great to hear from you, EBL. I'd been wondering how you're doing and hoping we start seeing you posting again. Welcom back, Sir! 🤠

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Welcome back. How can anyone not be a Smith Revolver fan? That’s unthinkable!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts