Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quick shout-out, and they don't pay me to say this....

I have a flashlight fetish.
That means, I have (way) more flashlights than I will ever need or use in my lifetime.
But that said, when I saw the Duracell 2500 Lumen flashlight at Costco, I just "had" to have one. :)

Wow!! This thing is really super-bright. (Going in to the purchase, I did have low expectations having had a bad experience with their 1250 - see below.)

I've only had it a couple days, and so I am still evaluating it.
It runs on 12 AA batteries (which I thought was a bit curious, but there must be a reason, maybe to boost up the series voltage?)

I own the Duracell 500, 750, 1000, and 1250 flashlights as well.*
Of those, the 1250 is crap - the beam is not uniform (but probably is 1250 in there somewhere)

Back to the 2500: It's easily 20% larger than the 1000, and feels a bit more "plasticky", but not enough to be a deal-breaker. The handle is still metal, but feel thinner in the hand than the 1000. The handle does heat up on HIGH after only a few minutes, and it you put your hand in front of the lens on HIGH you definitely feel the heat. This makes me wonder how long the AA batteries will last, and whether the flashlight itself has any sort of built-in fallback if the temperature gets too high. (So far, I've only run in on HIGH for 10 minutes in a single stretch and it stayed on HIGH with no decrease in brightness. The handle did get fairly warm.) It was like walking the dog in daylight!

There is a printed caution statement on the battery pack holder to NOT use lithium batteries (in case anyone was wondering about that.)

I think I paid right at $20 for this 2500 lumen flashlight at Costco -- so, when compared to some of the other, much higher priced Streamlights and such out there, it so far seems like a really good bargain.

*Edit: It's a 700 lumen, not 750.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
TWELVE AA batteries?? TWELVE!??

Reactions: bladenbullet

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
I have a flashlite fetish two. And just scored a big deal too. I kept magliMaglight incandescent light in my trucks. I had the large 2 and 4 d-cell battery lights. I heard you could return them to Maglite and get brand new LED's for a tradein. I sent in two and for 60 bucks, I got two brand new LED upgraded lights. They are the high lumen models in ML3000l at 1000 lumens with 3 settings. They list for 119.00. And the ML 300 L 524 lumens again 3 settings. List for 69.95. So the trade in was 190.00 worth of flashlights for 62 bucks. I thought this was a steal since my old lights were both over 15 yrs old.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Whenever I get into a conversation about things people collect... like guns... knives... watches.... invariably, the other person will say something like, "I can't believe what people will collect."

I always answer them with, "Oh, yeah?? There are people who collect FLASHLIGHTS, some of which can be VERY expensive." 🤣

They always reply, "Are you serious?" Oh, yeah!

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
And chances are that some flashlight people can't conceive of one owning more than one or two watches! :LOL:
It's not me that can't conceive of it. It's other people.

I get it all. All TOO well! LOL! I've got ~50 Spydercos!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have a flashlite fetish two. And just scored a big deal too. I kept magliMaglight incandescent light in my trucks. I had the large 2 and 4 d-cell battery lights. I heard you could return them to Maglite and get brand new LED's for a tradein. I sent in two and for 60 bucks, I got two brand new LED upgraded lights. They are the high lumen models in ML3000l at 1000 lumens with 3 settings. They list for 119.00. And the ML 300 L 524 lumens again 3 settings. List for 69.95. So the trade in was 190.00 worth of flashlights for 62 bucks. I thought this was a steal since my old lights were both over 15 yrs old.
Somewhere, I have a 4D aluminum body Maglight (incandescent), that I wouldn't mind upgrading to LED.
LED technology in flashlights is like the internal combustion engine replacing the steam engine!
It's an obvious, immediate, significant improvement in just about every way.
No more broken filaments if you drop the flashlight, much better energy efficiency, and much longer life.

Of all my flashlights, I do think I prefer (or at least, use) the Duracell 700 the most.
It takes (3) C-Cells and lasts a long time. It's the one I walk the dog with.
But I keep (until now, TBD) a Duracell 1000 in the trucks. And will probably continue that.
This 2500 is more of a "special application" thing as I'm thinking it's going to eat batteries. TBD.

None of my flashlights cost more than about $50, with the exception of my dive light (back when I was diving).
That beast was $350 easily. Took 20 hours to charge it, and had a burn time of about 25 minutes. Of course, it also used a GE aircraft landing bulb. :) But talk about bright underwater!!

And "Yes", I was tempted to title this thread:
"I do NOT need another flashlight". And yet here we are. :)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Whenever I get into a conversation about things people collect... like guns... knives... watches.... invariably, the other person will say something like, "I can't believe what people will collect."

I always answer them with, "Oh, yeah?? There are people who collect FLASHLIGHTS, some of which can be VERY expensive." 🤣

They always reply, "Are you serious?" Oh, yeah!
I actually assigned a flashlight utility patent to Spectrum Brands (Rayovac / VARTA) about 15 years ago, for some very decent money. If I had known back then that my work on flashlights would morph into a full-on fetish, I would have negotiated a deal for them to supply me with batteries into perpetuity. :)

·
Super Moderator
27,083 Posts
Those 4-D cell Maglights also make great "attitude adjusters!" A club that's also an extremely bright light is a great multi-purpose tool for the truck.(y)(y)

Reactions: bttbbob and Anduril

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
I don’t need another item to collect.... why did I open this thread? Crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I love my Fenix PD35's. 5 inches tall and an inch wide.
Brighte as all getout on two 123A's and a strobe function that will frap anybody's brain that you train it on.

·
Super Moderator
27,083 Posts
I love my Fenix PD35's. 5 inches tall and an inch wide.
Brighte as all getout on two 123A's and a strobe function that will frap anybody's brain that you train it on.
One of those rides my belt as an EDC. (y)

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I pocket EDC a Streamlight Protac 1L (single CR123A cell). Love it.

·
Banned
5,530 Posts
Regardless of lumens, I would never buy a unit that takes 12 non-rechargeable batteries.
For me only 18950 re-chargeables.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Regardless of lumens, I would never buy a unit that takes 12 non-rechargeable batteries.
I am an electrical engineer.
I could adapt this to 18650's, (or even 21700's) provided it's worth the effort and ends up being a good idea. Lot of technical factors to consider, including safety, and my time with the 3D printer. Plus my motivation level, which right now would be near zero. Too many other projects.

But to your point: I do wish this 2500 took "C" (or even "D") cells, instead of 12 AA's.

Note: I may have to go back and edit my original post.
I think the 1250 lumen light I referred to is actually 1500, and it's the 1500 that's a POS.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I get time, I may do a short side-by-side comparison at night. (all with fresh batteries, of course.)
The 2500 is significantly brighter than all the rest. So much so, that there's no question about it. It's very bright.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts