Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my only 9mm, a S&W 39-2, to Fords for refinishing. When it comes back, it's going to my daughter. So I've been looking for another 9mm to replace it. Since Springfield's SA-35 is rarer than unicorn farts right now, I went to Plan B... It was less than the SA-35 and since I picked it up at the Base Exchange, I saved on taxes... (y) Now I just need to find some time to go to the range...

Air gun Trigger Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Nice score!

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Very nice pick up and very cool of you to pass your 39 off to your daughter. I gave one of my daughters my mothers model Tim Smith and Wesson that she bought for 50 or 60 bucks new from Prager’s gun shop in Orlando. When we are gone, that will be such a special memory and you’re a great dad to think of those things.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Fords does excellent work. Nice choice for an alternative 9mm, may it serve you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Old Guy

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I have an original model 39 and the factory blue job is outstanding as is the trigger. They were the answer in law enforcement up until those ugly chubby model 59‘s came out.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I have an original model 39 and the factory blue job is outstanding as is the trigger. They were the answer in law enforcement up until those ugly chubby model 59‘s came out.
Lol…. I thought you were talking about Pig there for a minute.

• Haha
Reactions: Old Guy

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Cold! The standard warning for model 59’s was if you were going to get in a gunfight fire the first round into the ground to see if they were going to work. Never had a problem with a 39!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fords does excellent work. Nice choice for an alternative 9mm, may it serve you well.

I'm hoping it looks as good as the ones in their gallery. Anything would be an improvement though. The previous owner did one of those "spray and bake" finishes and it looks terrible (which is why I got it so cheap). I'll post some pics when I get it back.

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I'm hoping it looks as good as the ones in their gallery. Anything would be an improvement though. The previous owner did one of those "spray and bake" finishes and it looks terrible (which is why I got it so cheap). I'll post some pics when I get it back.
Can’t wait to see it. Did they quote you a time frame? Just curious as I have a Colt Mustang I e been contemplating sending to them.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Cold! The standard warning for model 59’s was if you were going to get in a gunfight fire the first round into the ground to see if they were going to work. Never had a problem with a 39!
Based on too much time spent reading and not working, and I had and sold a S&W 39-2, the "big extractor" 39s had problems. The Illinois State Police (I believe they were the early adopters) had issues which they and S&W worked though. George W. Nonte was a big promotor of the pistol.

I found the 39-2 to be too large for my stubby little fingers and sold it to someone else, back in the 1970s.

The Model 59 early models were notoriously bad. The failures allegedly led to the creation of "Gun Tests" magazine, which I found accurate.

Geoff
Who is realizing just how old he is, with every annoying pain in the muscles and joints.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can’t wait to see it. Did they quote you a time frame? Just curious as I have a Colt Mustang I e been contemplating sending to them.

Their website says up to 6 months turnaround time. I also checked with S&W, but they're not taking in any work for six months, the lady said they're trying to clear up their backlog.
I'm not in any hurry, but Ford's should have it back by the time S&W starts taking in new work (then add in their turnaround time...).

Reactions: Caleb and Rick McC.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Based on too much time spent reading and not working, and I had and sold a S&W 39-2, the "big extractor" 39s had problems. The Illinois State Police (I believe they were the early adopters) had issues which they and S&W worked though. George W. Nonte was a big promotor of the pistol.

I found the 39-2 to be too large for my stubby little fingers and sold it to someone else, back in the 1970s.

The Model 59 early models were notoriously bad. The failures allegedly led to the creation of "Gun Tests" magazine, which I found accurate.

Geoff
Who is realizing just how old he is, with every annoying pain in the muscles and joints.
Supposedly, they had fixed the extractor issue with the Model 39, hence the "-2" designation. But I could be wrong (I'm married, so I'm use to that...). Mine has never given me any problems, but now that I've said that.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts