Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of nice little 22's in the last couple of days. The one on the bottom is a Marlin Model 60 that is about 10 years old and in great shape. The one on top is a new Henry 22 lever action. It was great buying ammo today and seeing what a box of 50 22L's cost :) I need to get these out to the range now and have some fun.

Will

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
wilinfla, let me know what you think of the henry.
I just bought one 2 days before Christmas, and took it out Christmas eve and shot 100 rounds through it.
The Henry i bought is the .22 pump octagon barrel, I'll take a pic of it later and post it.
I was a little disappointed in it when i took it out of the box at the gun store and a screw fell off it, you don't expect things like this to happen to brand new guns, but once i got it home and cleaned it up, re-tightened the screws and lubed it up, it was a little tight with the pump action, but it shot extremely well, and it is very accurate with the factory set sights. I didn't even bother to adjust them after my son shot the head off a tack at 45 feet with no scope. Over all i am very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Nice rifles. I wish I still had my Marlin Model 60

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I think I am going to like these. I know I enjoyed only paying $4.00 for a box of 50 rounds :thumsup I am impressed with the workmanship of both of these and I like the lever style on the Henry. I hope to get them to the range next week, I would go tomorrow if it was open.

Will

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
wilinfla,

Run the model 60 dry. It will shoot longer without problems.

When I bought mine, I took it apart, cleaned and reoiled/greased it up good to go shoot it then read on the rimfire forum these need to be run dry.

If you run em wet, they'll not go long on the round count before they need to be taken apart and cleaned again. I can get 350 rds or so through mine before I have to use break cleaner and spray the action out to shoot more.

Brownie

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
wilinfla,

Run the model 60 dry. It will shoot longer without problems.

When I bought mine, I took it apart, cleaned and reoiled/greased it up good to go shoot it then read on the rimfire forum these need to be run dry.

If you run em wet, they'll not go long on the round count before they need to be taken apart and cleaned again. I can get 350 rds or so through mine before I have to use break cleaner and spray the action out to shoot more.

Brownie
Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brownie,

Thanks for the tip as well. I have to clean mine and I will do as you suggest before I take it to the range.

Will

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
I bought a Marlin 60 for $73.88 from Service Merchandise of all places, so that ought to give you some idea how old it is. Mine came with the long barrel too, but I had it cut and crowned to be flush with the magazine tube.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deadeye,

That looks nice with the shorter barrel, yes it has been a long time since I have even thought of Service Merchandise. I paid $150 for the one I just bought, I could have gotten a new one for a few more dollars, but this one is in perfect shape and it needed a new home. It seems for $73 you made a good investment!

Will

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
I bought mine used two years ago for 89.00. Needed a good cleaning like most used guns I suppose, but it's been a good shooter when I have taken it out.

I bought it as an inexpensive 22 rifle for aerial shooting on baseballs and golf balls out in the Sonoran desert with students using the Quick Kill rifle skills.

Brownie

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought mine used two years ago for 89.00. Needed a good cleaning like most used guns I suppose, but it's been a good shooter when I have taken it out.

I bought it as an inexpensive 22 rifle for aerial shooting on baseballs and golf balls out in the Sonoran desert with students using the Quick Kill rifle skills.

Brownie
It sounds like you got a good deal. I have to ask about the aerial shooting though, can you explain how you do that?

Will

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
wilinfla,

I have to ask about the aerial shooting though, can you explain how you do that?

Sorry I didn't see this response and question sooner sir:

I was taught by Bobby Lamar "Lucky" McDaniel to shoot aerial's on 3", then 2", the quarters, then finally dimes with Daisy Red Ryder bbguns.

Check this link for some information:

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408

If you will email me at arizonaqkr "at" yahoo dot com, I'll send you the Army manual for your review. The US Army adopted the program Lucky taught us and called it Quick Kill back in the mid 60's.

There's a book from 1959 written by a good friend of McDaniel named Mike Jennings which describes the skills Lucky was teaching. The books name is "Instinct Shooting".

Here's an excerpt from a student who came out to my home for the rifle aerial skills [ they get you to hit anything moving with a rifle ].

"Yes....It's true! In 5 minutes Brownie taught me Rifle Quick Kill off his back porch with a Red Ryder BB gun with NO front sight!

I was hitting larger stones about one inch in width at first then in a few minutes started hitting pebbles not much larger than the BB's... and then hitting twigs ... and then pieces of straw thinner than a BB and jumping them across the back yard like I had been doing it for years or something! It was quite amazing how quickly I grasped the technique and how EASY it was! Then I started hitting aerial targets! I was nailing a small peanut can thrown in the air. Then a 2 inch disc. Then a 2 inch disc and a quarter suspended in the air from a target stand about 9 feet high about 10 feet away! Then a nickel! I didn't hit them every time but I hit them more often than I missed and I ended the night hitting two in a row on the thrown can. I think I could have done much better if I wasn't so excited about the whole thing!
I had a few really good strings of 4 to 5 hits in a row on some of the pebbles I was shooting.

I regularly train others in the skills McDaniel gave us back in 1981 now. It had been lost for a long time till I revived it about 5 years ago.

Brownie

·
Registered
10,558 Posts

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Thanks for the link TampaSsgt.

I have the Time Magazine edition from 67 with that article in it in my library along with several other national publications on McDaniel and Quick Kill I've found over the years of searching since training with him.

An incredible man who discovered how to get people to use their natural ability in just a few hours. I was very fortunate to have had the honor to train with him personally for two days back in 1981.

Brownie

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brownie, Thanks for the aerial shooting explanation. That's some amazing stuff, I'll have to buy a BB gun and give it a try :)

Will

1 - 15 of 15 Posts