Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I own (& carry) a Colt New Agent .45 ACP, I am looking at buying a Rock Island Armory GI .45 ACP.

My main purpose is to develop a new hobby of buying these weapons, doing the fluffing and buffing on them, and learning all that I can to improve them. Once I think I have a winner, I'll put it up for sale and buy another.

These pistols sell dirt cheap - but they are ROUGH and could use some TLC to dress them up.

Has anyone else tried this ??

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a RIA 45 GI model. I'm not sure you will earn enough to justify this action. I haven't done anything to mine and it has been flawless through about 500 rounds. Maybe I was just lucky.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New Rock Island .45

I picked up my new Rock Island (RIA) .45 yesterday. The gunsmith at the shop where I bought it said that it is a virtual copy of my Colt New Agent except for some small details.

Over the past week, I had found an article showing how to detail strip the 1911 using only a few tools. The RIA will give me an opportunity to tear down a 1911 without worrying how to get it back together in a hurry. So far, I have field stripped the RIA and removed the firing pin, and extractor. This means I can now do the same for my Colt New Agent because I had been concerned about carbon build-up in there.

When I put it back together, I used a Q-tip with CLP on the rails and any surface that appeared to have wear. The slide now racks like it is on glass - most amazing.

I am very pleased with this weapon because I thought it would be a lot rougher on the finish - they did a Class A job when they finished the mill marks.

:drinks

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Pics would be nice :D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts