Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm traveling to Las Vegas next week for a trade show.
Is my Florida CCW valid in Nevada, and if so, anything I should know?
I looked online and got some conflicting info.

Also, will probably take a 2-day visit over to Zion National Park, which is in Utah.
So, same questions apply to Utah.

· Registered
8,428 Posts
I'm traveling to Las Vegas next week for a trade show.
Is my Florida CCW valid in Nevada, and if so, anything I should know?
I looked online and got some conflicting info.

Also, will probably take a 2-day visit over to Zion National Park, which is in Utah.
So, same questions apply to Utah.
From USACarry.com:

Map World Font Red Diagram

So, apparently, the answer to your question is "Yes," a FL CWFL is valid in NV and UT. I have both FL and a
UT (non resident) license and with those two, I have as much reciprocity as I can get.

· Administrator
32,659 Posts
I see my mistake, I was looking at the 2021 version of this document:

Link: https://rccd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gsdnvgov/content/Resources/2022 Final State List approved by DAG Erica(30 June 22).pdf

So next question:
What do I have to do at the airports to check my gun?
Several threads on here about checking a firearm for a commercial flight. Once such thread from 2017 here and there are others. Also, I believe racer has checked a firearm fairly recently, too and you might PM him for his insight. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

· Registered
5,946 Posts
So next question:
What do I have to do at the airports to check my gun?
You will need an airline approved lockable hard case.

Something like what is available here:

Pelican Vault Cases: Hard, Weatherproof, Affordable | Pelican

You will also need two keyed padlocks, not combination locks..

Give yourself an additional 15-20 minutes when you check in, just in case there are delays.

1. Put the unloaded gun in the case, along with ammo. Ammo loaded in magazines is generally acceptable.

2. When you check your bag, you must declare that you are traveling with a firearm.

3. They will give you a form to fill out. Fill out the form and put the form in the case with the gun.

4. Take your keyed padlocks and lock the case. You keep possession of the keys.

5. Put the now locked case in your checked bag.

They generally take your phone number to call you if there are any questions, but I have never had that happen to me.

When you land at your final destination your bag will be carried directly to the airline baggage office, show your ID and pick it up.

· Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems easy enough.

If I have to put my gun box inside my checked luggage, I'll need to use the larger Pelican case (to keep my checked bags down to just one bag).
I have one of those vehicle safe boxes (which is smaller and would fit better, and maybe even let me use a smaller checked Pelican overall), but it is a single key design, and doesn't accept keyed padlocks, let alone two of them.

· Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I assume when entering Hollywood / Fort Lauderdale airport the gun must already be locked, unloaded, in a separate case, and in my baggage to be checked, when I arrive at the ticket counter.

· Registered
16,548 Posts
I recommend, besides (obviously) locking the gun case, to lock the case to the luggage.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive tire

The cable lock runs through the two padlocks on the gun case and around the metal frame (part of the roller-handle assembly) inside the suitcase. I had to make some slices in the suitcase lining to do this.

I take an extra step of field stripping the gun. That way it doesn't look like a "gun" to prying eyes of people standing around or behind me in line at the ticket counter.

Audio equipment Gadget Gas Auto part Machine

Rectangle Camera accessory Font Gadget Gas

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Material property Film camera Bag

· Premium Member
7,123 Posts
When you get to Las Vegas and get into your room, Do "NOT" have any sign of a firearm showing because the hotel has a duty to take it from you to secure until you check out.
Keep your gun and related stuff, totally invisible.
Ronnie

· Registered
1,259 Posts
I've used the keyed version of the SnapSafe metal gun boxes for many years with no problems at any of the airlines.

I use the smaller box for carrying a single EDC with spare mags and ammo and the larger box when bringing the second gun for the lady.

Works well and is accepted by all the airlines. Drops nicely right into your checked baggage right at the counter.

A Goober search will bring up their webpages. Sold at most sporting goods stores too.

AD

Reactions: brownie
1 - 11 of 11 Posts