Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering does law enforcement tolerate being able to see bulges or outlines of your firearm on your side? Alot of shirts I wear you can see the bulges or the outline of a firearm. Do I need to buy some oversized shirts or is it ok as long as it is covered.
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Hey Carlincool, my instructor for my ccw weapons class preached to us that concealed means concealed. Leo's may vary on this but what you should worry about more is the person who calls 911 and says that there is a man with a gun. Even if you are just going about your business you definately will get at the minimum hastled. I would try my best not to print at all because of too much potential problems and unwanted attention you may get.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is going to be an issue which will vary from cop to cop. There is no way to say what the response to this will be. It's best to be on the safe side and remedy the printing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carrying

Hi,
I have a glock 19 9mm. I do p/t armed security work so this is also my duty gun. I'd rather not spend the extra money for another firearm. Thats why I was asking. Looks like I'll have to buy some new xxl shirts.

Thanks for the info,
Kevin

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I too carry a Glock19 with a Mtac holster. This gun is small enough to conceal. The secret for me is how much cant I use. With the right amount of cant the handle of the weapon does no print that easily. Not enough for people to notice. If funds are short stand in the mirror and play around with the position of your gun and holster until you find the best position. I would not recommend it but 12:00 carry used to work for me. Just make sure your holster covers the trigger. I carried for a while like this with one in the chamber. The problem you'll have is sitting down.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It will vary from cop to cop as stated...some will simply discreetly ask if you have a permit...some may "profile" you (depending on your dress etc) and confront you...many...just like the average citizens around you...won't even notice so long as they have no reason to look over you studiously... ;)

For my experience...I have found the average CWP holder to be more cognizant of others carrying than most LEO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same question when I started to carry and was worried what would happen if an officer saw that I was printing. The answer to that question is the same as asking if you will get pulled over by an officer if you where driving 8 miles above the speed limit. It all depends on the officer and what his attitude is at that moment.

Now this may seem stupid, but here is what I do. I carry on my right side at about the 4 o’clock position and in a normal draw I would use my right hand. That being said if I’m walking past an officer, I take my right hand and none saliently scratch my left chest and say hello to the officer. This accomplished a couple of things; most importantly you are moving your hand AWAY from the gun. If the officer does see the weapon and feels the need to confront you it will make things easier and less stressful on him and you since your hand is not near the gun.

What you do NOT want to do is try to check / hide the weapon when you are approaching the officer as this is a dead give away to him that you have a gun and are “playing around” with it.

Rado

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Hi,
I was wondering does law enforcement tolerate being able to see bulges or outlines of your firearm on your side? Alot of shirts I wear you can see the bulges or the outline of a firearm. Do I need to buy some oversized shirts or is it ok as long as it is covered.
Thanks,
Kevin

I have advised my wife that in the future, to please buy me ONLY shirts that are a little larger and are designed to be worn untucked. They are actually more comfortable for me as well as being able to conceal. I try very hard not to " print " or have the weapon able to show.

A funny thing now though is when I am out and I see people with untucked shirts on I try to see if they are carrying by looking for
" their " printing!:laughing

·
Registered
192 Posts
A very obvious image of a gun is not within the spirit of the law. However, anything elsa is OK. Sometimes I look like I carry although no one can really say for sure, just clip a tape measure on the belt and print that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
While most say it is advisable not to print, no where in any of Florida's Firearms Statues does it say "printing" is illegal or is called "brandishing" as some have said it is.

Printing is not brandishing. A covered weapon is a covered weapon. A covered weapon that is hidden from sight enough that it cannot be positively identified as a weapon is not illegal nor is it brandishing.

A large gun is going to print occasionally. Printing doesnt reveal that it is a gun, it reveals that you have something large under your shirt. Maybe you carry an old large cell phone? Maybe its a can of Mace? Colostomy bag?

If you carry your concealed weapon in a zipped bag that says "Glock" or "Smith & Wesson", that weapon is still concealed even though it is clearly in a gun bag.

Try not to draw attention, but dont worry yourself to death over printing. If that argument held true, what would you do if open carry was legal in Florida?

Are you worried that you could get cited by a LEO for printing?
You wont.

Are you worried that the bad guy might see you have a weapon? Then why all the cry for national open carry?
They will certainly know you have a weapon then!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Per FL Statutes 790.001

"Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.
Emphasis is mine.

If someone spots your concealed weapon because they were actively looking for signs of a concealed weapon, I don't see that as "ordinary sight".

To me, a big thing for a new CWFL holder to get over is a mental issue, really. Concealing is relatively easy...ultimately, you just look in a mirror or ask someone close to you, "Hey, is it obvious I'm carrying?"

The mental issue is getting over worrying about if other people can see your concealed rig. The worry is needless, because as long as you've dressed sensibly, and are not carrying anyplace where it's illegal to carry, you're not doing anything wrong. Once I got that through my thick skull, no more worries.

-JT

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Per FL Statutes 790.001

Emphasis is mine.

If someone spots your concealed weapon because they were actively looking for signs of a concealed weapon, I don't see that as "ordinary sight".

To me, a big thing for a new CWFL holder to get over is a mental issue, really. Concealing is relatively easy...ultimately, you just look in a mirror or ask someone close to you, "Hey, is it obvious I'm carrying?"

The mental issue is getting over worrying about if other people can see your concealed rig. The worry is needless, because as long as you've dressed sensibly, and are not carrying anyplace where it's illegal to carry, you're not doing anything wrong. Once I got that through my thick skull, no more worries.
-JT
+1 :clap :clap :clap :drinks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts