Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the forum and have a question that I would like your thoughts on. To give you a little background I am 31 y/o male with prior military service. I have had training with firearms but thankfully have never had to use one. I just got my FL CWP permit at the end of October and plan on buying my first pistol with in the next week. My issue is that I am nervous. Its not the carrying of the firearm that bothers me. The problem I have is that its a split second decision that you make to pull your firearm on someone and I only hope that I dont screw up and pull it out when I am in fear, but the average joe would not have made the same decision and I end up spending 10 years in prison because I pulled my firearm when I was not suppose to. Is this normal? Does anyone else have these thoughts? If so, how did you get over them? Thanks in advance for your input.:drinks

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Hey Glock23-4-Me, I hope this line of thought and concern goes through the mind of anyone who decides to carry a gun. I know it went through my mind many times as I got acquainted with firearms and subsequently carrying it in public. Defending your home is much easier mentally if you have to pull the trigger because someone is clearly without question invading your castle and endangering your family.
Pulling the trigger in public might not be as easy because of the many variable scenarios. Even though the law allows for you not to have to, do you have a chance to retreat, did you try to de-escalate the situation or is the situation so clear cut that there is no doubt that you would be in the right if you shot someone.
So this goes through my mind all the time but I still carry everyday and trust that my own judgment will not let me down. Situational awareness will help because it can make you avoid bad situations all together which negates the need for your gun. For example my driving habits changed somewhat since I started carrying. I don't drive as aggressive anymore. Hope this helps. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes me feel a little better. Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Train to fire upon specific stimuli and train to be able to follow through with that in mind. A lot of effort is put into avoiding those situations. It is just better business that way.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Glock 23-4-Me,

Part of the process is thinking about situations ahead of time.
What would you do when...?
How would you respond if...?

News stories are good for that(not always great, since you don't have enough, accurate info).
Check out forums like this one and defensivecarry.com where people run through scenarios, or people comment on what others have done.

Work on your mindset. Learn to let the little things go.
Your goal is to get home alive. Your gun may one day help you do that.
Road rage while carrying won't. Getting upset with the brother-in-law won't.

Read. Learn. Think. Discuss. You should do fine.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
You need to know when you can legally pull your weapon. Also running scenarios through your head seems to be a good aid for me. like when your at the store take a look around and ask yourself what if? where are the exits? Remember your not a cop so your job is to get home alive. At some point and time soon you need to have a serious talk with your self and decide if and when you would be willing to take a life. I've personally decided it would only be to save a life. I understand your concerns because in just a second or two you have to make a decision that's why it's very important to stay aware of your surrounding hopefully giving you that extra little edge to make the right choice. Good Luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have been carrying concealed for many years and have never had to draw my weapon, there have been a few times I felt like pulling it out and sticking down someone's throat :pistols but common sense won.

So I use common sense, but I am always ready. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Just read my Signature about common sense!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Perhaps I should have said Good Sense in lieu of Common Sense. :):)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Question

I know it is not legal to carry in a Bar where they are drinking....(But)

Is it legal to carry in a package store where drinks are not served ?

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Glock also get familiar with the firearms law here in Florida know what you can and cannot do,I reccomend getting the florida firearms law book read it and carry it with you as a reference lots of members here have gone and purchased this book.
www.floridafirearmslaw.com does help to know the laws or have something to reference also get to the range as much as you can get really familiar with your gun the better you know it the better you will feel read and study different scenerios in your head ask your self how would you handle this situation,

if you find your self doing these things should make you feel more comfortable and less nervous sure when the adreneline starts pumping the heart starts to race its all different then but all these practices do help a tactical training class also helps brownie is offering a class i wish i could go but work wont allow me to be off at the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Be careful, but ready

These days you never know, when or where.

But sometimes hesitating may cause you to pay a price.

Practice,

I am not sure on the law about pulling a gun and not using it, when the aggressor turns and runs, (armed) or (unarmed) ?

Do you report this to the LEO's ?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I am not sure on the law about pulling a gun and not using it, when the aggressor turns and runs, (armed) or (unarmed) ?

Do you report this to the LEO's ?
At the very least, it would be the smart thing to do.

If it was bad enough for you to pull it, it's bad enough to report it.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Yes, you report such an incident to the police. First one on the phone gets to be the 'victim'.

You can bet the BG who meant you harm is on the phone claiming 'some crazy dude just pulled a gat on me for no reason'. Want to explain that one to the officers who show up to question you?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Color Codes of Situational Awareness

Link: Color Codes of Situational Awareness

I've seen various twists on this on multiple sites. Many of you have known this little gem by heart for many years. I discovered it only a few months ago when I started training/preparing for concealed carry.

It's often attributed to Jeff Cooper and I have no reason to doubt that. I've seen this posted nearly verbatim on so many sites (some add Condition Black, which is after the trigger event has been crossed in Condition Red, but otherwise it's nearly the same everywhere.)

I've tried to keep myself scanning and looking for trouble since I made the decision to carry. When I've noticed ANYTHING out of the ordinary, I start running "what ifs" in my head. I've not had a real life event progress past Condition Orange since I started doing this, but I always ask myself "what if this had happened" or "how would I have reacted if..."

I hope that I never have to draw my weapon. If I do have to draw, I hope it's because I saw the potential threat first and ratcheted up Yellow to Orange to Red and have thought through in advance what would cause me to draw and fire.

I pray I never get blind-sided by someone viewing me as a target who slips under my radar or catches me in Condition White or unaware of his presence in Condition Yellow. That, I believe, is the root of your fear.

Truth be told, that's probably my biggest fear as well, getting blind-sided by a situation that escalates faster than I'm prepared to analyze or react.

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Link: Color Codes of Situational Awareness

I've seen various twists on this on multiple sites. Many of you have known this little gem by heart for many years. I discovered it only a few months ago when I started training/preparing for concealed carry.

It's often attributed to Jeff Cooper and I have no reason to doubt that. I've seen this posted nearly verbatim on so many sites (some add Condition Black, which is after the trigger event has been crossed in Condition Red, but otherwise it's nearly the same everywhere.)

I've tried to keep myself scanning and looking for trouble since I made the decision to carry. When I've noticed ANYTHING out of the ordinary, I start running "what ifs" in my head. I've not had a real life event progress past Condition Orange since I started doing this, but I always ask myself "what if this had happened" or "how would I have reacted if..."

I hope that I never have to draw my weapon. If I do have to draw, I hope it's because I saw the potential threat first and ratcheted up Yellow to Orange to Red and have thought through in advance what would cause me to draw and fire.

I pray I never get blind-sided by someone viewing me as a target who slips under my radar or catches me in Condition White or unaware of his presence in Condition Yellow. That, I believe, is the root of your fear.

Truth be told, that's probably my biggest fear as well, getting blind-sided by a situation that escalates faster than I'm prepared to analyze or react.

- Str8Shooter
Thanks for posting the Color Codes of Situational Awareness. Mr Cooper nailed it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts