Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big Sig fan and have never had an issue with my 226,239 or 365.

I carry both IB and OWB. I have used Alien Gear, Concealment Express and a nice Milt Sparks Versa 2 IWB for my 239.

I have recently delved into the world of 1911 platform and i like the way the 1911 points. The grip angle and all just feels right.

Just picked up my first 1911,a Ruger SR1911 Night Watchman TALO edition in .45 ACP.

As I have had good results in the past I ordered a concealment Express OWB for the commander size Ruger (4.25 inch).

Even after changing the cant angle I have a big problem. Likely due to the weight of the 1911 the pistol seems to "flop" outward on my waistband. I am using a good quality belt (Kore) and the belt is tight. Regardless of this the butt of the Ruger seems to just hang away from my body.

I am wondering if this an inherent issue with steel 1911 due to weight or is there a fix.
Clearly an IWB would sit closer to my body but it is just not comfortable in the 1911.

No issues with my 239 in the Milt Sparks. Actually I prefer the Sparks to the Kydex type of holsters.

Any suggestions? As Alien Gear offers free swap outs I considered trying the Alien Paddle holster but do not want to go to the trouble of exchange if i will have same issue.

What do you all use to carry full size or commander size 1911 OWB without this issue of the butt hanging off the body.?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Well, here you go. A lot of us here have great respect for panther concealment made by fellow member. He does a great job. I have more than one 1911 and for leather I like DM Bullard out of Texas. They are reasonably priced, can carry a full-size easily and fit pretty snug. Kore is a nice belt no question but, there are better belts out there which might be helpful to you. Wilson combat has a holster sale going on as we speak, you might look for some of their products. Many members have used Ronin Which is also a very good product at a reasonable price.

I have a fair amount of alien gear holster’s in the dead holster drawer that never just scored quite right for me.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
I use either a Wilson Combat lo profile in sharkskin, or their belt slide open muzzle type that has straps for quick on and off. I only use A&G gunleather belts, and they stay in place with no sag

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Kydex fixes the problem. I have two go to guys for holsters. Panther Concealment for kydex, best I have used. The other is a leather maker in Tampa by the name of Sam Andrew’s. Andrew’s leather is the best I have seen. Have one over 40 yrs old and it loooks like new

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here you go. A lot of us here have great respect for panther concealment made by fellow member. He does a great job. I have more than one 1911 and for leather I like DM Bullard out of Texas. They are reasonably priced, can carry a full-size easily and fit pretty snug. Kore is a nice belt no question but, there are better belts out there which might be helpful to you. Wilson combat has a holster sale going on as we speak, you might look for some of their products. Many members have used Ronin Which is also a very good product at a reasonable price.

I have a fair amount of alien gear holster’s in the dead holster drawer that never just scored quite right for me.
Thanks. Just checked Panther webpage. Looks good. I'll give them a call . Their OWB does seem to hold close to body, at least on the short video clip.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Kydex fixes the problem. I have two go to guys for holsters. Panther Concealment for kydex, best I have used. The other is a leather maker in Tampa by the name of Sam Andrew’s. Andrew’s leather is the best I have seen. Have one over 40 yrs old and it loooks like new
Bob, how do you have a holster that’s 40 years old? I thought you were only 45.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
One more vote for andrews custom leather, the Hi-brid saddle has spring steel in between the leather to hold it close to the body, mine is over 10 years old and still looks like new. It's a high riding pancake like holster.

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
Late to the party but I'll add to the recommendations for PantherConcealment.com (for Kydex OWB holsters, of which I have 6 for three different EDC handguns), and either Sam Andrews or RoninLeatherHolstersLLC.com for leather. I have two OWB Ronin holsters, (one for my M1911A1 CS and the other for my P229SAS Gen Ii) no issues with it staying put with my Kore gunbelt. (y)

Reactions: Jim45

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I carried a Colt Officers in .45 for many years in a Galco all leather OWB. No issues.

I also vote for Panther Concealment. They are my go to holster. I think I have 8-9 now.

A&G Leather makes great belts. I have and wear their 1.25” dress belts in black, burgundy, brown and tan. The 1.25” work great for suit/dress pants which is mostly what I wear. Some dress pants struggle with a 1.5” belts.

Lastly, I also vote for Sam Andrews. I have a custom shoulder holster he made for a H&K USP .45. in the early 90’s. Beautiful rig. And it too looks new.

Good luck. (y)

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Panther for Kydex for sure.

For a leather OWB; Dillon Precision has a line of leather holsters that are made by Mitch Rosen. I have a Commander sized one that's light, stiff, and has held up great in the Florida heat and humidity over the last several years.

They cost $75.00, and Dillon keeps them in stock; so the timeframe from order to receipt of delivery runs less than a week. Mine came in three days.

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
Can't improve on any of the recommendations above, all are great. However, if you go kydex, the PantherConcealment.comhands down. (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts