Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
One thing I will say is that, if you think you have hidden them well enough that a child could not possibly find them, you are only fooling yourself. I know for sure that my dad thought he had his handgun (and his Playboy magazines, for that matter!) hidden so well that I could never find them. Boy was he surprised, some years back, when I told him that I had known all along where they were. Even when he SUSPECTED that I had found them, and moved them someplace else, it took me hardly any time at all to find them again.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
One thing I will say is that, if you think you have hidden them well enough that a child could not possibly find them, you are only fooling yourself. I know for sure that my dad thought he had his handgun (and his Playboy magazines, for that matter!) hidden so well that I could never find them. Boy was he surprised, some years back, when I told him that I had known all along where they were. Even when he SUSPECTED that I had found them, and moved them someplace else, it took me hardly any time at all to find them again.
Now you’re bringing back memories. My mother had Penthouse radar, I could hide one anywhere and she’d have it the next day!

When I get into a new house, I will be installing something similar to this (except without a mirror). Hidden compartments within your walls (out of a child’s reach would be better) might be the best thing I have seen. If done correctly no one will be the wiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeerHunter
Discussion starter · #24 ·
Caleb

You saved me again. When we built the gun room our intention was to fix a mirror on the wall attached to a door which would conceal the very heavy steel door to the gun room. Ray got Covid and is out of the loop for a while. This looks like a perfect solution, I will contact them this morning.

Get the MIC trigger guards for the semi autos.
Easy for you to remove in a hurry but I don't think a small child would figure out how to remove one.
Ronnie
Get the MIC trigger guards for the semi autos.
Easy for you to remove in a hurry but I don't think a small child would figure out how to remove one.
Ronnie
why does guy in video keep hand in front of muzzle when racking slide 😳

why does guy in video keep hand in front of muzzle when racking slide 😳
Yup, bad habits practiced will become muscle memory in times of stress. Not a fan of the MIC holster myself. YMMV!

How is that even considered a holster? More like a trigger guard to me.

How is that even considered a holster? More like a trigger guard to me.

It's not a "holster" but as you state, only a trigger guard. (n)

Just do what most people do and that is to just put your loaded gun in your car and in the glovebox.
Nothing like an unlocked vehicle to secure a loaded firearm.
It must be the best security because a heck of a lot of people use this way to secure their gun.
Ronnie 😊

And if they want to, the kids WILL find it!
Ya know I can’t recall how old I was when I discovered where my father kept his S&W model 19 hidden but I’d guess around 5 or 6 maybe. It was loaded and wrapped in an old cloth diaper he kept oiled. No such thing as gun locks back then. What he had taught me and my brother prior to me ever finding it was something along the lines of…this is a gun…if you want to see it let me know and I will show it to you after I unload it and hand it to you….don’t ever pick it up or play with it unless I’m here and I hand it to you. Do you understand that? Yes daddy….So when I found it one day playing, I knew what it was and remembered dad saying don’t ever pick it up or play with it unless I’m here and I hand it to you. So what did I do? I remembered dad’s words and left it alone and moved on.

On a side note: This must be a generational thing because growing up my father only ever asked my brother and I to do something once nicely. That was it. There was no asking over and over again like you hear so many parents do today without the kids listening at all. Why did he only ever have to ask us once nicely? Cause if we didn’t do what he asked us to we got the bejesus knocked out of us severely we “remembered” for the next time when dad asks us to do something we do it, immediately, no discussion.

Now as a child I always thought that was severe, overly harsh, and most likely illegal (I was mostly correct on that last one). Not that I’d ever call anyone to complain. 🤣 As an adult many years later after all the bones and wounds healed and scared over nicely, I can appreciate the “why” behind his discipline strategy. Although by today’s standards he wouldn’t be eligible for parol until the year 2284. Oddly enough, neither me or my brother ever did drugs, got arrested or ended up in jail/prison. So maybe dad’s business model for disciplining us wasn’t too bad after all. :unsure:

YMMV

Joe, our fathers must of been brothers at one time or another. Mine was the same way, except for the beatings, he punished other ways, but it worked.
We had to drop the pants and take the belt like a man across our butts 🙀
We never messed with his guns unless we asked him first, then it was a good lesson on how they functioned.
The world sure is different now days.

I finally went ahead and bought some small keypad opening safes from Amazon for like 35 bucks apiece. I got five of them and they can be screwed to the wall and I think this will handle my needs.
I would never trust a 35 dollar amazon safe for my needs. I gave you great options in my post. I hope you the best when it comes to the safety of you and your family.....

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I actually have a few of the cheapie safes, have had for years and they still work. Since I needed five, this seemed a decent idea. The one you used is clearly better but I just need to mount them and keep a four year old out.

You don’t need to tweak me, I think these will work for my needs. If I thought there was any safety issue I would have spent the 700 bucks, I’m just trying to meet the need and not break the bank. Thanks again for your advice.

My Brother just passed away and I have his guns. The one I prize most out of all of the beautiful guns I inherited is a model 732 H&R 32 caliber 6 shot revolver.
I am guessing It was My Fathers gun and I have not laid eyes on it since I was about 13 years old.
I remember the day Dad took me into his out of bounds to me bedroom and showed me the gun and to never ever touch it. That was the last and only time I ever seen this gun. If anyone has an idea when this gun was made , Please let me know. ( This may not even be the one)
It is in my gun safe along with the Winchester 22 I got for my 8th. birthday.
I do keep all of my guns locked up except for the ones I have loaded and near me for home protection.
Guns always must be secure even if your children won't touch them but they have friends that may not be taught about guns.
Better safe then sorry.
Ronnie

Reactions: zukinut
I actually have a few of the cheapie safes, have had for years and they still work. Since I needed five, this seemed a decent idea. The one you used is clearly better but I just need to mount them and keep a four year old out.

You don’t need to tweak me, I think these will work for my needs. If I thought there was any safety issue I would have spent the 700 bucks, I’m just trying to meet the need and not break the bank. Thanks again for your advice.
I can and will. You just spent how much with that last gun you purchased and showed off here? A built 1911 in 9mm, but cheap on safe's because you worried about not breaking the bank....

Priorities are different than mine.

That why I invested in quality safes, having my pond filled in, having a child fence put up with my pool, fenced yard, etc....

Oh and keep on your toes because my 3 year old learned my keypad code for our safe safes when she watched me opening everyday. I didn't realize it until she did it for me so proud. I told her she did great, but not to do it again and changed them all.

You never cheap on safety....... Unless your just doing it for show or to make someone "feel" safe.

Reactions: BeerHunter
Discussion starter · #40 ·
Well, if it makes you feel better, tweak away. Our priorities may be the same but the execution is a little different. I made a decision based on my needs and my sense of what it would take to meet those needs. I have several of the same safes and they function perfectly after 6 or 7 years. I change the batteries once a year. Good advice on the kid watching you enter the code, though there will never be a circumstance where anybody watches me enter the code. These guys will be mounted about 6 feet up the wall in any event. I had one of those biometric safes years ago and it failed and I had to drill it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.