Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing another thread last night and the topic of efficiently managing your gun inventory and related records came up. A while back I searched the internet for a good system to no avail. But, in that thread chuckusaret turned me on to a program called MyGun DB.

You can try a "lite" version for free. But, I ponied up the $40 and registered the fully-functional version in the wee hours of last night. I've only scratched the surface of this program, but I already feel qualified to say, "This is a bargain!"

I've tried to create my own Excel spreadsheet to manage my meager (a dozen or so) collection. But, I'm barely a white belt in Excel-fu. It was OK, but I wanted something much more robust. MyGun DB is it!

The developer also seems very eager and enthusiastic about constantly improving it with user input. Check it out! I have no financial interest in recommending this product. I just think it's way cool (and useful)!

Thanks to chuckusaret for turning me on to it!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I don't think you need Ninja Excel skills to keep a simple database of make/model/serial#/where/when bought/etc... just write whatever info you want to keep as column headers and then put the 'data' into each of those columns... another similar option might be a Google Docs spreadsheet where it's already backed up and does not need to be set public/shared.

The nice thing about Google docs is it's completely free. If you don't already have a gmail account, you can create one easily -- they're also free.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Looks like a nice program. DB programs are very useful for organization, as you said Excel works but a program is much simpler to use and nicer to look at and requires very little computer knowledge (no offense). That program looks similar to one I used to use for organizing movies. You can also create a local website for this purpose, for a nice professional look if you are cheap like me. :) I wrote an HTML contact list a few years ago that would serve a similar purpose with a few modifications.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really a computer white belt. Just basic knowledge of Excel, though. I've been playing with computers since 1978. But, my TIME is very valuable to me now. And, while I could make my own with some effort... Spending 40 bucks and downloading a fairly robust program in a couple of minutes while I'm watching Leno is well worth it to me. :)

·
Banned
4,425 Posts
Racer88, Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I use a simple columned spread sheet that I produced using a MicroSoft spread sheet program for my C&R weapons only. Why, it must be simple just in case the BATF ever cares to check my BOOK. I no longer use the My Gun DB program but my son does for the guns that I have given him and the ones he will get when I pass on.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Racer88, Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I use a simple columned spread sheet that I produced using a MicroSoft spread sheet program for my C&R weapons only. Why, it must be simple just in case the BATF ever cares to check my BOOK. I no longer use the My Gun DB program but my son does for the guns that I have given him and the ones he will get when I pass on.
No prob, Chuck. Thanks for the lead to MyGun DB. It looks like it fits the bill perfectly for me. I've been corresponding with the developer about it. Very nice guy who is working hard to make it even better. I'm very pleased with it so far!

·
Banned
4,425 Posts
No prob, Chuck. Thanks for the lead to MyGun DB. It looks like it fits the bill perfectly for me. I've been corresponding with the developer about it. Very nice guy who is working hard to make it even better. I'm very pleased with it so far!
Great, glad I could be of some help.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts