Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whomever said "You are just going to end up with a drawer full of holsters", was right. I now have two. A generic Tagua "piece of leather with a clip" IWB holster, and a Blackhawk Serpa CQC OWB holster.

My Tagua IWB "does the job", however, on occasion I have to fiddle with it to avoid printing. I know, "concealed is concealed", but I play it safe. Once I get that "spot", it's unnoticeable and I don't feel it. However, the downside is, it's not a quick-draw holster by any account. It was cheap, and also the company is located here in Miami. It's certainly not a custom rig. My only concerns with it are speed of drawing and also having to mess with it each time I change clothes.

Now, on to the Serpa. Unless I wear an XL T-shirt, I'm printing like crazy. Even a blind person would know I'm carrying. Also, exposure is a huge risk, unless you wear an appropriate shirt. Sidebar: I did all my "experimenting" in my home. It took me an hour to leave yesterday, haha. However, I managed to find a shirt/pant combo that worked. As for the holster itself, I'm a fan. The retention switch is genius. Plus, as far as drawing - super fast once you familiarize yourself with the switch's behavior. I'm nowhere near the level of the true legends of this community here, but even at my relative novice skill level, I was drawing way faster than with my IWB. I certainly felt more secure "moving" with the OWB, too. And you don't even notice it after awhile. However, like I mentioned, dress comes into play much more with the OWB. This mode of carrying is far more comfortable though, and for situations where draw speed is an issue, I'd go OWB no problem. FYI, the best shirt for the job is the Cuban guayabera. I have a custom black one from my friend's shop which is "long" and fairly inconspicuous. I look like a well-to-do tropical dude when I'm out and about with it. I just need the hat.

I guess my takeaway for this is, yes, there's going to be a drawer full of holsters in my place soon, and there's no "one holster to rule them all". I'm glad I have options now though.

·
Registered
13,722 Posts
Any holster works if you practice with it. But I would suggest to you that the SERPA is a flawed design.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
inb4panther

:grin

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know what you mean!!! i have one holster Zero concealment Felon series I had it configured for ISW but it seemed to print more as an inside the waist band so I ordered hard belt loops for OWB. I have a full sized FNP .45 and I’m a large guy and having trouble concealing so i ordered a Theis holster but haven’t received it yet but I’m sure it will be the same thing. Then this weekend i saw the 5.11 undershirts with the holster built in under the arms. This seems to conceal it a lot better than the holster i have by far!! i would look in to that. I wore mine for a few hours and I thought this was far more comfortable then the plastic holster and very secure. Also there is almost no way your 2nd amendment would show as well. The only draw back i see is that im going to have to buy mor than one of thses and that im going to have to buy a lot of snap down or button down shirts.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I know what you mean!!! i have one holster Zero concealment Felon series I had it configured for ISW but it seemed to print more as an inside the waist band so I ordered hard belt loops for OWB. I have a full sized FNP .45 and I’m a large guy and having trouble concealing so i ordered a Theis holster but haven’t received it yet but I’m sure it will be the same thing. Then this weekend i saw the 5.11 undershirts with the holster built in under the arms. This seems to conceal it a lot better than the holster i have by far!! i would look in to that. I wore mine for a few hours and I thought this was far more comfortable then the plastic holster and very secure. Also there is almost no way your 2nd amendment would show as well. The only draw back i see is that im going to have to buy mor than one of thses and that im going to have to buy a lot of snap down or button down shirts.
Wear a T-shirt or undershirt and a button front over shirt. Leave the over shirt untucked, makes for great concealment and easy access to your pistol. If this type style of dress will not work then look for a "tuckable" holster.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
It takes 5 or more years to fill the box and it's not like it's for 1 gun . Duluth trading co makes perfect shirts for carry the long tail T and some more, I can reach up and the gun stays concealed OWB . IMHO

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wow. Thanks for the heads up. My EDC weapon is a Beretta Px4 subcompact. When safe, an ND using the Serpa is nearly impossible to do, but obviously there could be times where the weapon is ready to fire. Even if I don't sell it, rather be safe than sorry. Lesson learned, probably get one of the Safariland models.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
A holster that is both comfortable, and conceals well, with common sense everyday clothes? Plus a 1.5" belt. Frequent flier, wilderness Instructor.

Must lie flat against your body. But give you a full firing grip of your pistol. Artful cut away bits!

As in a Glock factory holster, weighs nothing. Holds very secure. The tee shirt is the undergarment, worn everyday, Florida shirt on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Nice custom cut Scouse. Better and faster clearing of the holster on the draw.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Nice custom cut Scouse. Better and faster clearing of the holster on the draw.
You are the only person to ever notice that Pitor! The muzzle has nearly an inch less plastic to deal with, as it clears. The belt slots are cut to make the holster more straight up and down. The FBI slant causes you to lean forward to draw, slower than just arm moving. Plus you do not need to take your face closer to a threat.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
A holster that is both comfortable, and conceals well, with common sense everyday clothes? Plus a 1.5" belt. Frequent flier, wilderness Instructor.

Must lie flat against your body. But give you a full firing grip of your pistol. Artful cut away bits!

As in a Glock factory holster, weighs nothing. Holds very secure. The tee shirt is the undergarment, worn everyday, Florida shirt on top.
Thanks for reminding me about them Scouse. I used one when I carried a G30 but the heavy grip pulled it away from my belly a little. (I have a good belt) After reading this I tried it with my new EDC G26, it fits perfect and retention is the same as with the G30. It may work good with the G26. I'll give it a try. For me OWB is the only way to go except for maybe a quick trip to Lowe's or such and for that I sometimes use a Remora. IWB is annoying at best.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
FBI cant is better than no cant when you're sitting.

Serpa's issue is that the trigger finger has to release the rention, and since the finger is already bent, it can slip into the trigger guard and pull the trigger. Unintended consequence there :smack

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Panther must be the best!

Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever
IWB is annoying at best.

You're not doing it right :grin. But seriously, with a panther f-series IWB, carrying my G19 is a breeze.
Pitor, I've had a concealed carry permit for nearly 40 years and tried nearly every thing, every way. IWB didn't work for me when I was skinny, a fatty or any where between. I haven't tried the Panther holsters and the praise they get from the gang here means they must be one heck of a fine product. Someday if I get a chance to try one I may be sold on going back to IWB or maybe one of their OWB too. In the meantime I make holsters for Wifey, myself and a couple close friends. I've had several want to pay me to make them one but politely refuse. I am again very impressed with all the good post's for the Panther's and believe they must be the best.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
If you've been concealing that long then you clearly know what works and what doesn't for YOU. I wish I could work leather. ..

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If you've been concealing that long then you clearly know what works and what doesn't for YOU. I wish I could work leather. ..
Pitor, I have made all leather, all kydex and hybrid. The all kydex one's I've made were really minimalist by design. Worked pretty good but the kydex on the body side is a heck of a lot harder than leather against your body. I've made several all leather with one I was actually proud of but it just wasn't right. Don't know what sucked about it but someday I'll mount it somewhere in my Corvette. Hybrid's are best for me so far. Kydex is very easy to work with and fun when you get something that works. Really, it doesn't matter what it looks like, concealed duh! What matters is safety issues most of all, function and comfort come second. If you have some spare time, give it a shot!

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
This is why I love this site - I get answers, education, and documentation even!
Pod, not sure of your location. If anywhere near Orange Park, Fl. you can stop in to Basics Range and Gun to actually try on a Panther Concealment holster. I own multiple PC rigs and all conceals very well with high level of comfort. I'm not petite by any measure and will only utilize Panthers. My Brother-in-law is small framed and I have to ask if he is CC due to Panthers being so effective.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts