Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just before Covid-19 changed things, I purchased a used Wilson Combat 1911. I’ll post pictures as soon as I take some decent images. I prefer the 1911 platform, and have owned several brands in different configurations. Prior to the Wilson, my most exotic 1911‘s were a Les Baer and an old Clark Custom. The price of a Wilson Combat always seemed too steep, but I decided that I really wanted to own one. As I thought about it, buying used was the way to go. Barring real abuse, the 1911 can be tuned if needed.

I bought one used at a local shop. I don’t like to order used firearms online. It is a full size Government model, in 9mm. It is a discontinued model, looks new, and might have been unfired. It came with its original papers and cloth case. The front tritium night sight was dead from age, so I sent the slide back to Wilson for a replacement. As with most of my 1911’s, I removed the standard grips and bushings and replaced them with thin grips. The ability to install thin grips, along with the single stack magazine, is a plus for my small hands. Fit and finish were excellent, just as expected. One thing I appreciate is the blended grip safety. Some of my 1911’s have grip safeties that can cause a little discomfort after a few hundred rounds. During take down, I was surprised to find a blue Shok-Buff. I didn’t think Wilson put them in their 9mm Government models, but apparently they do. I have not been out much due to virus concerns, and haven’t had the opportunity to shoot it yet.

I’m eager to start shooting again. I have been using LaserLyte cartridges and targets, but there’s really no substitute for live rounds. I hope it functions as expected. I’m curious if anyone here has retained the Shok-Buffs. I’ve never used Shok-Buffs before.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Nice score! Looking forward to photos and a range report.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Congratulations! Wilson’s are well made for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,021 Posts
Wilson sets the standard for customer service. As far as the shock buff, I would never carry a pistol with one installed. They tend to come apart after a number of rounds, and aren't needed in a Wilson IMO, as the lug relief is properly machined (ie bowtie). Enjoy

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I agree on the shockbuff on a carry pistol. Good advice. They took my XTac back for a complete refinish, gratis. Great people.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Congrats on your first Wilson.

I received a new Wilson American Carry Pistol late last year to review. It was an all steel full-sized 1911 in 9mm, and came with a shok buff installed. I’m sure that it didn’t need it (I removed it prior to shooting the pistol), but they sell them, so perhaps,they want new Wilson owners to think that they’re “needed.”

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
My screen must be broken cause I don’t see a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here’s a few photos of my new Wilson Combat. It is a full size steel frame, with a full length guide rod and reverse plug.. Second photo shows Wilson grip safety depressed, blending with back of grip frame. Third photo is a Ruger 1911 from my EDC rotation; grip safety is depressed, but projects outward from the frame - shows difference between drop in Ruger part and Wilson fitted parts. Fourth photo shows bushing and plug.

6BA780AA-1BCC-445D-8E54-3ED58086B0B7.jpeg D1C46573-9AD5-498A-A65D-710840BE5233.jpeg 603ACEE1-82DE-40C7-85F5-189A686BA141.jpeg 38228382-E8A7-47E5-94E0-B506D8C14DB0.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts