Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Crew,

As I mentioned in my new member "Hello" message, I have written many letters in support of gun rights that have been published in South Florida newspapers over the years. Another member suggested that I join the effort to get legislation passed allowing open-carry in our state, and I have done so by crafting and sending a letter to the list of Senators suggested at www.floridacarry.org. That website also listed a sample letter to use , which I greatly modified and personalized prior to sending it on my own behalf. I included a few facts, based on my personal experience and opinion, that I thought would add weight to the argument. The letter's content is below. I'm not looking for praise, but I offer the following for others to use as an additional basis for their own correspondence, should they choose to (Not everyone enjoys writing as much as I. ) Anyway, I hope I have done something worthwhile. Feel free to critique this, I won't be offended. Collectively, we can make a difference.

Fallout
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Senator,

I am writing to you to express my support for Senate Bill 234, regarding firearms. It is my understanding that this bill will presented for your consideration on Tuesday, February 22nd. I hope that you will give this proposed legislation due consideration and agree that it is both practical and overdue.
I am one of several million Florida citizens who has been issued a Concealed Weapons Permit. I carry a firearm every day for defense of myself and my family. Licensed Florida citizens have been carrying concealed firearms legally for more than 2 decades, and in this period there have been comparatively few instances of permit revocation by the state. It is impractical, even ridiculous, to expect responsible citizens to carry their weapons only in a concealed manner. I offer the following reasons why I think that "open carry" of firearms by Floridians should at least be an option:

* The long period of concealed carry by Florida residents has not resulted in the dire consequences that were predicted by some upon it's adoption. A state-wide "wild west" scenario has not materialized. People who choose to be are armed, have been armed for a long time, and peace-of-mind prevails.

* Florida is included in a very small minority of states that do not allow some form of open-carry. 43 other states allow it, and not one of them has ever revoked the right. Aren't Florida's citizens deserving of the same rights as other state's citizens?

* Florida is a very warm state. In South Florida especially it is both uncomfortable and impractical in the extreme to have to wear a jacket-type covering to conceal one's firearm in public year-long. For this reason, concealed carry in Florida is often weather-prohibitive. After all, not all firearms slip easily into a pocket or purse. Also, if one finds that they need to deploy their firearm for self-defense, the amount of time it takes to UN-conceal the weapon could be the difference between life and death. There is such a thing as having your gun too safe to be used (buried) when you need it. Should you think the weather in Florida has no bearing on gun-related issues, let me tell you from my experience as a police quartermaster that the extreme heat is exactly what coerces many police officers to leave their bullet-resistant vest at home.

I'm sure you are busy and I sincerely appreciate your attention to this matter. Please support SB 234.

Respectfully yours,

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Looks good!! :thumsup Only change I would make is that it is a concealed weapon license, not permit.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Thank you sir! Great job!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Very Good! :clap

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the positive comments, just trying to do my part. Let's hope open-carrry happens for all of us.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
If we all made the same effort at "just trying to do my part," we'd probably make a better impact and improve our chances of carrying the battle.

Thanks for doin' your part.

One small error - "People who choose to be are armed, have been armed. . ." - in your first example.

Good Job!

Glad to have another member who doesn't mind writing letters to help get things done.

Welcome.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Collegeboy,

Very nice job.

My emails also went out from my own account and that of several associations that I belong to.

And from today's emails, the NRA just posted up (from their NRA-ILA site) a notice to contact our legislators on this issue too! This is good exposure for sure.

As usual, I also followed up with a postal mail last Monday (yes, the post office still delivers!) to each of the legislators as needed.

Thanks for taking the time to get involved.

AD

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Nicely written, Fallout. Thanks for taking the time.

Welcome to FCC!
:drinks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the support and friendly critique of my letter. I now realize my errors, but that's what I get for writing too fast. Makes you wonder if the senators will even read them, but all you can do is try. They sure won't read any letters you don't send. My best to all.

Fallout

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Fallout,

You can read through draft after draft, taking much more time that what is available, and still have errors. None of what was pointed out in the 'friendly' critiques was a 'deal killer;' and none of it made for any misunderstanding of your points.

I try to proofread all my e-mails before hitting the 'send' button - I still see errors in them when I read through them later. I can live with it.

I'd rather have several 'nearly perfect' letters out, making my point to several individuals, than just one perfect one, only getting the word to one person.

Thanks for your work so far. I think you'll be making valuable contributions to the forum's efforts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well I have been following this for months hoping that I could find some common ground with those that I am at odds with on this bill. I have not found any arguments to date that have changed my mind. While I am sure that I am about to become the most hated member of FCC forums, I too have sent my letter in to my elected officials. Since I must stand on my conscience, here is what I have sent in..

Dear Senator,

I am writing to express my opposition to Senate Bill 234, regarding the open carry of firearms. This bill will require your consideration on Tuesday, February 22nd. I request that you give this proposed legislation consideration and realize that with the current “Shall Issue” license laws, legal carry of a firearm is a right many Floridians already enjoy. We do not need an Open carry law causing further intimidation of citizens choosing not to exercise their Second Ammendment rights. Many law abiding Floridians who exercise our 2nd ammendment rights daily, believe Open Carry will cause a political backlash against Gun owners and do not wish to have our hard fought gains erroded by some who wish to treat a firearm as a fashion statement.

I carry a firearm every day in defense of my family. Florida citizens have been carrying concealed firearms and self defense weapons legally for many years, and in this period there have been very few instances of abuse of this right.This is due in part to ccw holders who are responsible and cognizant of the rights of all people. Even those who would choose to not be around guns. I believe Open Carry will lead to more false interpretations and misunderstandings about law abiding gun owners that carry for protection. This will lead to many more chances for Gun control proponents to take away more rights of your law abiding constituants. The only argument for Open carry that I can agree with is preventing a CCW holder from being arrested in the event of an accidental exposure. However this detail can be fixed with other legislation by simply removing the crime from this action. An open carry law is not needed solely to fix this one issue.

I realize it must seem shocking to hear a Gun owner and CCW holder opposed to SB 234, however I assure you I am not the only one. The sad part is there are some things included with SB234 that are indeed needed, but I cannot support the bill in good conscience while open carry is attached. These are my concerns and opinions as a voting Floridian.

While some would argue that Open carry is part of the 2nd ammendment, I must respectfully disagree. Our constitutional guarantees do allow us to carry and bear arms in defense of life or property, but not to treat a firearm as someting to be bandied around. I rely on the ability to carry in defense of my family, but for now I do not wish to put that in the open. I want my children to learn about guns, gun safety and gunrights from their father. I do not want them to learn about guns simply by seeing a weapon on public display at a local park.

I urge you to consider all sides, and realize that the current laws under 790, are providing 2nd ammendment protections for law abiding citizens and families. SB 234 can errode those protections, possibly even taking away my rights and abilities to defend my family in certain places. Please vote against this bill in its current form. If this bill is adjusted, I will be sure to reevaluate my position.

Regards

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the support and friendly critique of my letter. I now realize my errors, but that's what I get for writing too fast. Makes you wonder if the senators will even read them, but all you can do is try. They sure won't read any letters you don't send. My best to all.

Fallout
I'll bet the Yeas go in one pile and the Nays in another then they weigh them! LOL!

Emails are wonderful, but as I understand it they are weighted second to "real" mail and third to the telephone in the getting political action

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
. While I am sure that I am about to become the most hated member of FCC forums, I too have sent my letter in to my elected officials. Since I must stand on my conscience, here is what I have sent in..
Everyone is entitled to their opinion here Nigel... Hated? No! DEBATED? without a doubt! I have said many times before, that I would like to have the OPTION at times to OC. That said, it would be a very small percentage for me.

I too, share your fears that some mall-ninja type will ruin it for the rest of us, but unlike you I am willing to chance it in the interest of advancing 2A rights. I don't see an us/them issue with the OC folks... at least not in the same light as US/THEM where the Brady-Bloomberg crowd is concerned.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion here Nigel... Hated? No! DEBATED? without a doubt! I have said many times before, that I would like to have the OPTION at times to OC. That said, it would be a very small percentage for me.

I too, share your fears that some mall-ninja type will ruin it for the rest of us, but unlike you I am willing to chance it in the interest of advancing 2A rights. I don't see an us/them issue with the OC folks... at least not in the same light as US/THEM where the Brady-Bloomberg crowd is concerned.
I am glad there are some out there that can debate this issue with honor. I actually find it sad that this issue has caused a rift in the gun rights crowd. One thing is for sure, whichever way this turns out, we are all going to have to put it behind us fast, for I fear there are more issues we are all going to have to contend with and a lot sooner than we would wish. Do you know if this is going to be a final decision tommorow, or just a preliminary vote? You never can get a straight answer with government....lol

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
While I am sure that I am about to become the most hated member of FCC forums, I too have sent my letter in to my elected officials.
Not hated at all. Everyone is entitled. I just think the OC points are far more valid than the anti-OC points. Besides, I'm fairly certain the pro-OC people can summarize your letter into one simple sentence: I'm scared that it will scare people. Unfortunately, that is not a valid argument.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I am glad there are some out there that can debate this issue with honor. I actually find it sad that this issue has caused a rift in the gun rights crowd. One thing is for sure, whichever way this turns out, we are all going to have to put it behind us fast, for I fear there are more issues we are all going to have to contend with and a lot sooner than we would wish. Do you know if this is going to be a final decision tommorow, or just a preliminary vote? You never can get a straight answer with government....lol
This is a committee vote. It still must pass other committees. Additionally, it's companion bill in the House must also pass their committees. Finally, the entire House and the entire Senate must vote for the bills. Finally, the Governor signs it.

With regards to your decision not to support the effort, I view that as a failure on my part to some extent. But hesitation on supporting open carry is much like hesitation on supporting college campus carry, in that it is based on pure speculation. There is only one method of determining how a proposal would play out, and that is by examining a similar existing situation in another location.

There is no valid data to support that the general population of Florida is any different than the general population of Georgia, for example. Georgia permits general open carry, yet when one visits that state, one is not inundated with a huge open carry population. Additionally, resident who don't open carry generally do not view open carry as a threat, in and of itself. There are many states where open carry is relatively common, and yet those states do not report any considerable problems with the practice. Also, not a single one of those states have repealed open carry once it had passed.

Likewise, the college campus carry proposal is virually universally opposed by college law enforcement administrators. But again, it is speculation-based fears that are not in evidence at college campuses where carry has been permitted for years.

"Since the fall semester of 2006, Utah state law has allowed licensed individuals to carry concealed handguns on the campuses of Utah’s nine degree-offering public colleges (20 campuses) and one public technical college (10 campuses). Concealed carry has been allowed on the two campuses of Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO, and Pueblo, CO) since 2003 and at Blue Ridge Community College (Weyers Cave, VA) since 1995. After allowing concealed carry on campus for a combined total of 124 semesters (as of June 2010), an average of over five years per school, none of these twelve schools has seen a single resulting incident of gun violence (including threats and suicides), a single gun accident, or a single gun theft." - securityinfowatch.com​

Too many bad laws are adopted and too many good laws are excluded due to speculation.

·
Banned
4,530 Posts
Well I have been following this for months hoping that I could find some common ground with those that I am at odds with on this bill. I have not found any arguments to date that have changed my mind. While I am sure that I am about to become the most hated member of FCC forums, I too have sent my letter in to my elected officials. Since I must stand on my conscience, here is what I have sent in..

Dear Senator,

I am writing to express my opposition to Senate Bill 234, regarding the open carry of firearms. This bill will require your consideration on Tuesday, February 22nd. I request that you give this proposed legislation consideration and realize that with the current “Shall Issue” license laws, legal carry of a firearm is a right many Floridians already enjoy. We do not need an Open carry law causing further intimidation of citizens choosing not to exercise their Second Ammendment rights. Many law abiding Floridians who exercise our 2nd ammendment rights daily, believe Open Carry will cause a political backlash against Gun owners and do not wish to have our hard fought gains erroded by some who wish to treat a firearm as a fashion statement.

I carry a firearm every day in defense of my family. Florida citizens have been carrying concealed firearms and self defense weapons legally for many years, and in this period there have been very few instances of abuse of this right.This is due in part to ccw holders who are responsible and cognizant of the rights of all people. Even those who would choose to not be around guns. I believe Open Carry will lead to more false interpretations and misunderstandings about law abiding gun owners that carry for protection. This will lead to many more chances for Gun control proponents to take away more rights of your law abiding constituants. The only argument for Open carry that I can agree with is preventing a CCW holder from being arrested in the event of an accidental exposure. However this detail can be fixed with other legislation by simply removing the crime from this action. An open carry law is not needed solely to fix this one issue.

I realize it must seem shocking to hear a Gun owner and CCW holder opposed to SB 234, however I assure you I am not the only one. The sad part is there are some things included with SB234 that are indeed needed, but I cannot support the bill in good conscience while open carry is attached. These are my concerns and opinions as a voting Floridian.

While some would argue that Open carry is part of the 2nd ammendment, I must respectfully disagree. Our constitutional guarantees do allow us to carry and bear arms in defense of life or property, but not to treat a firearm as someting to be bandied around. I rely on the ability to carry in defense of my family, but for now I do not wish to put that in the open. I want my children to learn about guns, gun safety and gunrights from their father. I do not want them to learn about guns simply by seeing a weapon on public display at a local park.

I urge you to consider all sides, and realize that the current laws under 790, are providing 2nd ammendment protections for law abiding citizens and families. SB 234 can errode those protections, possibly even taking away my rights and abilities to defend my family in certain places. Please vote against this bill in its current form. If this bill is adjusted, I will be sure to reevaluate my position.

Regards
This reminds me of the people like Bill Ruger that supported the Assault Weapons Ban. After all no one needs ................

·
Registered
254 Posts
This reminds me of the people like Bill Ruger that supported the Assault Weapons Ban. After all no one needs ................
It actually pains me that that is all you got from my post. I would have hoped that we all were at least keeping open minds, and not just closing them with terse one liners, that really have nothing to do with the argument at hand.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is a committee vote. It still must pass other committees. Additionally, it's companion bill in the House must also pass their committees. Finally, the entire House and the entire Senate must vote for the bills. Finally, the Governor signs it.

With regards to your decision not to support the effort, I view that as a failure on my part to some extent. But hesitation on supporting open carry is much like hesitation on supporting college campus carry, in that it is based on pure speculation. There is only one method of determining how a proposal would play out, and that is by examining a similar existing situation in another location.

There is no valid data to support that the general population of Florida is any different than the general population of Georgia, for example. Georgia permits general open carry, yet when one visits that state, one is not inundated with a huge open carry population. Additionally, resident who don't open carry generally do not view open carry as a threat, in and of itself. There are many states where open carry is relatively common, and yet those states do not report any considerable problems with the practice. Also, not a single one of those states have repealed open carry once it had passed. Likewise, the college campus carry proposal is virually universally opposed by college law enforcement administrators. But again, it is speculation-based fears that are not in evidence at college campuses where carry has been permitted for years.

"Since the fall semester of 2006, Utah state law has allowed licensed individuals to carry concealed handguns on the campuses of Utah’s nine degree-offering public colleges (20 campuses) and one public technical college (10 campuses). Concealed carry has been allowed on the two campuses of Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO, and Pueblo, CO) since 2003 and at Blue Ridge Community College (Weyers Cave, VA) since 1995. After allowing concealed carry on campus for a combined total of 124 semesters (as of June 2010), an average of over five years per school, none of these twelve schools has seen a single resulting incident of gun violence (including threats and suicides), a single gun accident, or a single gun theft." - securityinfowatch.com​

Too many bad laws are adopted and too many good laws are excluded due to speculation.
Believe it or not I have read most if not all of your posts and you have provided me with much food for thought. Contrary to popular belief, as I am a staunch 2nd a rights advocate, this issue has caused me many sleepless nights. I have put more thought into this issue and still struggle with my conscience about it. I do appriciate your candor, and while I am not able to agree, I do respect what you are doing. I am glad that you are standing for what you believe in, unfortunately (in this case) I must do the same. To all those who would see me hung from the yardarm, I will support open carry if it passes as the will of the people, but my opinions will not change, unless someone can convince me I am missing something here. I look foward to when we are all back fighting on the issues that do not divide the gun owners of Florida.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts