Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range yesterday and my Ruger 22LR Lite using CCI Mini Mags key holed at 20 feet.I stopped shooting and called Ruger when I got home, They told me it was because lead in the barrel and it needs to be removed.
Was the Rep correct and what is a good way to remove the lead without hurting the bore?
I soaked it in Balastol and used a brush and snake until it looks really clean

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Wow! It looks like you took a handful of bullets and threw them at the target.

For that to happen because of lead, I would imagine (and I'm no expert) that the grooves would have to be completely fouled with lead, such that it renders the barrel a smooth-bore. Is that even possible? It would be interesting to see a scope view of the bore.

How many rounds through it since the last cleaning?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Would like to see the scoped before and after cleaning pictures

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
That is totally new to me.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Keyholing is potentially caused by a number of different things. The bullet stabilizes from the spin imparted upon it from the rifling in the barrel. If the rifling is worn out, if there’s damage near the end of the barrel or if the barrel is leaded to the point that the bullet doesn’t spin appropriately, it can hit the target sideways. A bullet is kind of like a drill bit spinning as it flies, if it slows, wobbles, etc. it becomes unpredictable.

Brownie is correct regarding bullet weight. In an AR 15 sometimes a one in nine twist barrel will stabilize certain weight projectiles but a one in seven twist might be necessary to stabilize something like a tracer.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be shooting it tomorrow and hope the deep cleaning took care of the problem.
I'll let ya all know.
Ronnie

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Waiting on results from a cleaned barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
You would have to shoot it a LOT to be that badly fouled.

You might want to try a more solvent based cleaner too. 22 bullets are frequently tumbled in wax, and that can foul your barrel as well.

As far as removing lead fouling, your have a few choices.

Shooter's Choice makes a lead remover that works.
I have also had good luck by wrapping some 0000 steel wool around a bronze bore brush, then run it back and forth through the barrel. (make sure to go all the way through, do not back up while the brush is in the barrel!)
A piece of brass mesh cut to the size of a 22 cleaning patch and then pushed through the barrel.
A bronze bore brush all the way through the barrel, then all the way back, repeat a whole bunch of times.
Cork the end of the barrel and fill it with Kano Kroil. Allow it to sit for a few days, then brush the bore.

If you get stuck or need a hand, give me a shout. I can have you send it up, or I can meet you down there and have a look.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Another possibility is that you have a bad batch of ammo, particularly if you have shot the same brand out of this gun with no previous issues.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
.22 LR key holing is very odd. I've seen some very abused bores that still shot fairly well. After a Century the manufacturers pretty much know how to load it. Any crown damage? Geoff Who is curious.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Bronze wool will not damage your barrel. Use it dry without solvent.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mixed white vinegar & peroxide 1/2 & 1/2 and soaked the bore for about 10 minutes and ran a brush through it a dozen times and repeated it. I could not get to the range yet but will be there Monday to shoot it.
I seen this on You-Tube and had the ingredients so I did it
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I would bet crap / defective ammo. I don’t think you’ve shot several thousand rounds of crap Ammo & not cleaned the gun, have you? As Brownie said, bullet weight to twist ratio is important. Gets really important in rifles, the longer the bullet stays in the barrel. Shoot different ammo, along with the stuff that did that, next time also & see what it does in that barrel. Good luck, await the outcome.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well, given what you have done and advice already. I’d say shine a flashlight down barrel and make sure looks clean and can clearly see the grooves and shoot it up. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I was wondering if it is a 22/45 lite, if it is it is probably some bad ammo mine does not like remington or unplated ammo. I have been shooting mine for a few years and it has never keyholed and I have put alot of rounds through it most of the subsonic . Good luck

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has about 2,000 rounds + through it. A lot of federal and mostly CCI Mini Mags.I am going to the range today and see how it does. I really like the look and how this gun feels and hate to get rid of it but My Victory has three times as many round through it with not a single problem.
The Ruger is a 22/45 lite with a red dot try-glo on it
The ammo that did the keyhole was not a problem because it worked perfect in my Victory and my Glock 44/ 22LR
Ronnie

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Mine also has a red dot small world , I thought it would help with the bi-focal problem. I am very fond of the S&W Victory it is hands down a better gun .

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I shot it today and no keyholing. I got it sighted in perfect for 5 rounds.
The next five had 3 in the bulls eye and two fly a ways.
I stopped and got some pure copper shreded pads today and will try to get more lead out using them like they said on You-Tube.
I had the guys at the range look down the bore and they said the rifling was not very prominent like it should be.
One thing is good about this is it keeps me pretty busy.:)
Ronnie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts