Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know I just got my permit yesterday. The newness of it is still sinking in. Last night I had the oportunity to legally be in public with my weapon. My wife and I got invited to a birthday party at a club house in a community in Coral Springs. I got dressed and then holstered the weapon at the 3:30 position. The next thing I asked my wife was a question that I might be asking alot from now on. Am I printing? Her answer was no. The first problem I ran into was getting into the car and having to adjust the gun so that I could have quick access to it if needs be. So I slid it to the 3:00 position and problem solved with the right cant.

As I arrived at the party still in the car I reajusted the gun to the previous position of 3:30 and then we went inside. It was very weird going up to the bartender and ordering a cranberry juice on ice while my wife got rum-punch. The bartender said " Your the designated driver I see". I wanted to say no I'm the designated shooter but I just nodded and walked away. so here I am standing in this room with 50-60 people and no one except my wife knew that I was armed. Then my thought switched to watching everyone going in and out of the room and positioning myself facing the entry. I wondered how chaotic it would be if anything happened in this crowded room. Could I shoot a BG without other people getting hit. Should I even be in crowded places armed. How would I handle a threat while walking back to the car in the parking lot.

The rest of the night went without incident as I wanted it to and we got home safely, re-engaged the alarm system and then I took the gun off and rested it beside the bed. That's my first carry experience and I learned alot. I realize that I will probably be doing this for the rest of my life but It's something that I'm comfortable with it.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
It seems to me that your thoughts are in the right place as far as the responsibility you have as a ccw permit holder. Your perceptions and awareness does go up once you start carrying, as it should. All in all it sounded like you were pretty much in control at all times and would be able to defend youself and family if the need arise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The bartender said " Your the designated driver I see". I wanted to say no I'm the designated shooter but I just nodded and walked away.
:)
Wow what a line. If you want to stop drunk driving give people a gun and a CCW permit. Happy first carry Yardman.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Myfirst CC experience

Congradulations! You have broken the ice. As time goes on it will feel more natural to carry and naked without.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Great story. My permit should be in any day now. I've been carrying everyday around the house. I even cut my grass this afternoon with my pistol concealed. I got hot, sweaty, and was full of grass but the gun never moved and the neighbors were non the wiser. My 12 year old even came out to see if he could help with the grass. I was finished at that point though. Let us know about your other big events with the herd of sheep.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told at my CCW class that it's illegal to carry at a bar. Sample situation was you are at Outback and eating at the restaurant but you have to go around the bar to get to the bathroom, that is technically illegal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was told at my CCW class that it's illegal to carry at a bar. Sample situation was you are at Outback and eating at the restaurant but you have to go around the bar to get to the bathroom, that is technically illegal.
Dining or drinking at the bar while concealed carrying is illegal but passing by to get to the restroom is not. Going to a party is not IMHO but going to a night club is illegal while carrying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One thought about going to the party.....

The first evening I had my Fla carry permit, we went to our friend's house. He is a LEO who had been coaching me on how to shoot and get my ccw permit. I was showing him my permit and my wife was saying hello to his wife. She came over and gave me a big hug around my waist, (she's short and I'm 6' 4" ).

Needless to say, she immediately knew that I was carrying my Glock in a holster on my left hip, (yep, Lefty)

So, this begs the question, how do you NOT get hugged by someone you know????

Congrats on the permit, make sure you do the Wally World Walk!!

srg.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thought about going to the party.....

The first evening I had my Fla carry permit, we went to our friend's house. He is a LEO who had been coaching me on how to shoot and get my ccw permit. I was showing him my permit and my wife was saying hello to his wife. She came over and gave me a big hug around my waist, (she's short and I'm 6' 4" ).

Needless to say, she immediately knew that I was carrying my Glock in a holster on my left hip, (yep, Lefty)

So, this begs the question, how do you NOT get hugged by someone you know????

Congrats on the permit, make sure you do the Wally World Walk!!

srg.
I have not done the Wally walk yet but I'll be doing it soon. I will have to shy away from hugs now when I go to parties. ;)

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
It was very weird going up to the bartender and ordering a cranberry juice on ice while my wife got rum-punch. The bartender said " Your the designated driver I see".
Since it was a private party, I believe you were within the law. I avoid going up to bars while I am carrying, even though it is a private party, I just continue the practice so I don't make a mistake in public at a restaraunt.

Since I always carry, my wife has acquired a permanent designated driver. At parties or at a restaraunt I am more than happy to drink a coke or iced tea to be able to carry concealed.

1) I wondered how chaotic it would be if anything happened in this crowded room.
It would be extremely chaotic, that is why a clear head, free from alcohol, is a must.

Could I shoot a BG without other people getting hit.
You would have to pick the right time and situation before taking the shot. Make sure that an innocent bystander is not in the way or in the background of your target.

Should I even be in crowded places armed.
If you are within the law, absolutely. Being in possesion of a Concealed Weapon License and a concealed firearm means that you have accepted a greater responsibility than an un-armed citizen. Bad guys know that crowded places usually are "gun free" zones, and we know how much criminals respect "gun free" zones!

With that in mind, being armed in crowded places means that you have to be more responsible and more aware of where you are, and what is going on around you.

How would I handle a threat while walking back to the car in the parking lot.
You keep your head on a swivel and understand that you use your firearm ONLY to stop a forcible felony.

The 2007 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 776
JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.08 Forcible felony.--"Forcible felony" means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

All in all, I think you are doing a great job. Keep it up!!

:thumsup

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Hug tactic I've read about that seems to work:

Just make sure that you position your gun-side elbow low, so that arm ends up below the other person's corresponding arm for the hug. Dominant arm low, support hand high.

-JT

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Hug tactic I've read about that seems to work:

Just make sure that you position your gun-side elbow low, so that arm ends up below the other person's corresponding arm for the hug. Dominant arm low, support hand high.

-JT
Cool, that will actually work. I just have to un-train how I've been hugging all my life.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It will become way more natural very fast and you will eventually stop worrying. it will be like sliding your phone into your pocket.

No places with metal detector's or places with a mandatory search at entrance. outside of that, i tend to forget about some of the other herrrrmmm rules :rolleyes:

Ive only been carrying for like a month and already seem's as natural as breathing and gives a very nice false sence of secuirty don't it? lol :drinks

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
No places with metal detector's or places with a mandatory search at entrance. outside of that, i tend to forget about some of the other herrrrmmm rules :rolleyes:
Picking and choosing which laws you want to follow is not a real swift policy, boss.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Picking and choosing which laws you want to follow is not a real swift policy, boss.
I say if the police can do it, why cant i...

Because im on a lower standard and my life is less important in the public eye? HA.

A lot of police carry everywere they go, and pick and choose witch laws they follow. I have seen this for myself, so i think ill take my chances. As they are thee... well what would the public call them? "Role model's" :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts