Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always believed that the issue of printing is the topic that causes the most unnecessary amount of worry. I decided to prove my point that nobody will notice if you are carrying even though you are excessively printing.

I put on a shirt that shows that I unquestionably have something in my waistband that is probably a handgun. I was carrying appendix with this shirt (washed overnight) for the past two days. I was in box stores, supermarkets, small retail stores, two different cancer treatment centers (had to take my mother for follow up) and a liquor store. Not a single person gave me a second look or acted as if they saw something suspicious.

This experiment is anecdotal evidence that most people have no idea where they are what they doing and what they're looking at. Most people have zero situational awareness.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Most people have zero situational awareness.

Bingo! The only people checking to see if you are carrying, are others like us (even then, it’s minimal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I’d bet most or a lot would be oblivious to you open carrying. Yes some would notice. but for the most part, people are too self absorbed today, mostly in their cell phones, to notice what is going on around them. They also make easy marks for people with nefarious intentions.

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
i walked all over a local walmart one evening with my shirt accidentally tucked behind my gun after i reached for something and didnt even get a sideways look...society is pretty zombie like in their awareness...

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I have been carrying for about 50 years and mostly OWB at 3 a clock and just a T-Shirt over my gun and not one single time has anyone ever said anything. I carried my Model 37 S&W 38 up until I bought a Glock 42 first and then a 43. Next was my Sig 365 and now my Kimber Micro which is the most comfortable and now my new favorite gun of them all.
I put a grip laser on it and in a leather Winthrop holster, It is a forgettable gun on my side.
But my N.A.A. is always with me 100% of the time except for a very few exceptions. The VA is one place I am defenseless.
You can have the best and most expensive gun that holds the most rounds but if you hate carrying it all the time because of comfort or printing, .What good is it for your self defense?
My opinion is to have a gun you can shoot well at 25./40 feet using one hand that is light and comfortable to carry so your not leaving it home.
Ronnie

Reactions: Anduril

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I had to work late night last week over on the west coast of Florida so naturally, I swapped my EDC to the Glock-19 (from the smaller 26).
Well, I'm back to the 26 again.

The 19 prints more - not because it's a bigger gun (which it is), but because with all this COVID, I think I'VE gotten bigger and now my pullover shirts don't cover the firearm as well.
So - diet time, I guess. Ugh...

I usually carry the 26 in the summer anyway, just due to the heat.
But, except for the 19 feeling (though likely not "being) bigger, I rarely notice that I'm carrying either one.
But Ronnie is absolutely correct -- get a gun that you can shoot reasonably well, that is not so obtrusive that you'll never carry it (in this Florida HEAT!)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’d bet most or a lot would be oblivious to you open carrying. Yes some would notice. but for the most part, people are too self absorbed today, mostly in their cell phones, to notice what is going on around them. They also make easy marks for people with nefarious intentions.
Most people are oblivious to the point they wouldn't notice Pamela Anderson in her prime from Baywatch, walking down nude on Ocean Drive in South Beach.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i walked all over a local walmart one evening with my shirt accidentally tucked behind my gun after i reached for something and didnt even get a sideways look...society is pretty zombie like in their awareness...
That's been my observation for several years now. :unsure:
Yet we have people here that are against open carry because it makes them feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Agreed, people do not notice past their nose glued to their phones what is going on around them. I was in a crowded restaurant a couple of years back. While walking back from the restroom I noticed a guy sitting at a table whose untucked shirt had ridden up, exposing the barrel end of his EDC tucked into an OWB holster. I casually leaned down and mentioned it to him and kept on walking. I don't know how many other people had walked past him and didn't notice.

·
Registered
13,858 Posts
I dress around my carry piece. Printing is not illegal. I do not honestly GAF IF SOMEONE KNOWS I am carrying. I have always carried OWB at 3:00. I have always carried a full sized pistol. It is so simple that even the students I teach. Are you more worried about what other people think? Or are you worried you may need a gun that you can defend yourself and your family with?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Most people are oblivious to the point they wouldn't notice Pamela Anderson in her prime from Baywatch, walking down nude on Ocean Drive in South Beach.
Just for the record, I would definitely notice that! 🤣

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
we keep a gate key on a chain with a chunk of wood attached to an office wall on a magnet...students use it to get a car into the service lot...a student hung it on a hook 4" away from the magnet the other day by mistake...another student looked for it for 10 minutes and came to us to tell us the key was missing...draw whatever conclusion you want...

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
I normally wear an 2XL tshirt to keep from printing
Sons baseball team passed out parent shirts hesterday
All they had for me was an XL. It was small on me
I looked at myself in the mirror for several minutes looking at my Ber92 sticking out printing. But I wanted to represent the team and finally said F it. Wore both. Was around hundreds of people today at a tournament at Roger Dean complex. If anyone noticed nobody said anything. I think of most people do notice a ‘bulge’ they probably dismiss it as a cell phone. Felt weird but nothing happened.
We didn’t win if you were wondering. :(

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yeah, I quit worrying some time ago. Also have had two times where my EDC wound up on the wrong side of my shirt and nobody noticed. People don’t normally look for those types of things.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I had a fanny pack many years ago that I carried a Glock in sometimes. I was about 20 minutes into my shopping at Publix and I glanced down and saw the fanny pack was completely unzipped and hanging open with the Glock in plain sight in the built in holster. Well I about had a heart attack when I saw that. I immediately zipped it up and looked around nervously. Nobody ever said anything to me or even looked twice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have always believed that the issue of printing is the topic that causes the most unnecessary amount of worry. I decided to prove my point that nobody will notice if you are carrying even though you are excessively printing.

I put on a shirt that shows that I unquestionably have something in my waistband that is probably a handgun. I was carrying appendix with this shirt (washed overnight) for the past two days. I was in box stores, supermarkets, small retail stores, two different cancer treatment centers (had to take my mother for follow up) and a liquor store. Not a single person gave me a second look or acted as if they saw something suspicious.

This experiment is anecdotal evidence that most people have no idea where they are what they doing and what they're looking at. Most people have zero situational awareness.

To give your experiment true relevance, give it a go in venues where carry is prohibited by state/federal law. Here are some possibilities:

any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
any detention facility, prison, or jail;
any courthouse;
any courtroom;
any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district

There are many other possibilities. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
To give your experiment true relevance, give it a go in venues where carry is prohibited by state/federal law. Here are some possibilities:

any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
any detention facility, prison, or jail;
any courthouse;
any courtroom;
any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district

There are many other possibilities. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
In FL, it is a crime to carry without a permission slip period. So your idea is a bad one from the get go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts