Florida Concealed Carry banner

My 1911

4K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Mountain Dew Man 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been interested in firearms and shooting, and self defense for a short time now, and I have been soaking up as much info as I possibly can.

Between my training classes with Brownie, and being around good people like Dave and Scott, I have learned so much with their expertise and experiences. At our range sessions, I was able to shoot several firearms, several of which were the classic 1911. I never gave too much thought to that platform untill I actually fired one, and I was hooked after the first round . They are amazing guns.

I recently was able to work a deal with Dave to aquire one of his 1911's.
Its a Kimber Tactical Ultra II , 3inch barrel with elk bone grips.

I was a little concerned about shooting a officers model compared to a longer barrel, but after going to the range this past weekend with RCR, my concerns were cleared after the first mag. Simply an outstanding handgun. I sent 150 rounds down range, firing from 7 to 10 yards{help me on that Scott}, to 3 yards. Drawing from my holster to elbow up\elbow down was right on the money. :D I worked extensively on my two handed Quick Kill from multiple distances with great results.:thumsup Scott and I had a great range session, btw...Scott was money all day!
The Kimber carries well, especially in my LittleBear rig!
Anyway, I will stop my rambling and post some picts.

Thanks Dave! You hooked me up! :thumsup

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun

Jim

See less See more
#5 ·
Not Jim's, but you get the idea:

You'll just have to imagine the beautiful blonde/brown elk horn grips! They are very unique.

Jim is correct about the distances from which we fired over the weekend. We fired the Kimber in direct comparison to my Smith PD (4.25", lightweight frame). That little Kimber is a shooter. The bushing-less, bull-type barrel on that thing really keeps muzzle flip to a minimum...less than my beloved Smith.

The dual recoil springs that ride in the Kimber really harness the recoil...very pleasant to shoot for such a small .45ACP. I've never been a big fan of Kimber, but I am now, at least where this particular piece is concerned.

Jim has himself one fine weapon!

#6 ·
Jim45: I'm so happy for you!! :dancingbanana Seems like we're exchanging platforms. I was greatly impressed with the feel and balance of your Glock 19, so I went to Shooters last weekend and bought one (price was amazing!). Now you've ventured into the world of the 1911 (my favorite carry).

Scott, Jim: We've got to do a range day together. A little recurring training, if you will. :ak

#7 ·
I personally carry the full size Gov't, but I feel its the same way as it is learning to ride a motorcycle- if you start with the big guns, you don't have that learning curve when going from the smaller one to the larger one later on. ;)

#8 ·
Rvrctyrngr,

Having had both the short and long triggers like the one pictured, I prefer the short triggers in the 1911's, though I can use both well enough.

We sell that gun in the shop, they are not inexpensive, that's for sure.

RoadGlider,

Congrats to you as well for the G19 pickup.

Wear em in good health gentlemen. :thumsup

#15 ·
I prefer short triggers, as well, Brownie. The one pictured is, of course, the stock trigger. Jim's has a different one (straight). Not my favorite, but it works on that gun.

Time for me to get out of Jim's thread, and let him do the bragging on that little beastie. :D

#11 ·
Franklin, from Jims original post:

but after going to the range this past weekend with RCR, my concerns were cleared after the first mag. Simply an outstanding handgun. I sent 150 rounds down range, firing from 7 to 10 yards{help me on that Scott}, to 3 yards. Drawing from my holster to elbow up\elbow down was right on the money. I worked extensively on my two handed Quick Kill from multiple distances with great results

That's a pretty good range report of his ability to use the skills he got in the class two weeks ago and the guns intrinsic ability to run them even when the gun was new to his hand.

:thumsup

#12 ·
Thank you Sir!
I am sure that we ALL would improve greatly and better understand what we are doing if we were able to take you course. If the reports back were any better, the posters would have the last name, Brown.
Have a nice weekend.
Franklin

#13 ·
Thank you Sir!
I am sure that we ALL would improve greatly and better understand what we are doing if we were able to take you course. If the reports back were any better, the posters would have the last name, Brown.
Have a nice weekend.
Franklin
Same to you sir, right back at ya as well. You already possess the skills, you just haven't been shown how to use them yet.

#16 ·
Thanks guys.:thumsup. I updated my first post with pictures.

The Kimber conceals great as well, and I am using a LittleBear rig + double mag pouch.

Congrats RG on your G-19, I had a great time shooting mine during Brownie's class two weeks ago. Great pickup! :thumsup

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Handgun holster Leather Gun accessory Fashion accessory Buckle

Jim

#17 ·
Jim

Nice Kimber!!!! LOL. I am happy you enjoy it. It served me very well!
Now I need to go out and shoot your HK45C. Though it's not any different than the one I had, it's a need thing.

Brownie: Jim was like a kid w/ a new toy when he came back from the class. It was so cool to see someone so excited about what they had learned. And after talking to him and Scott, hearing how it was put to work the next week at the range. Now that we are sure we are not moving, I have to get my butt into some of your classes. Lord knows I need some class.... LOL.

Scott: come by tomorrow. That junky holster is ready. Snaps finally came in last night. Gotta love a company that doesn't tell you there is an issue w/ their product and leave you hanging for almost a month.

#22 ·
Nice Kimber!!!! LOL. I am happy you enjoy it. It served me very well!
Now I need to go out and shoot your HK45C. Though it's not any different than the one I had, it's a need thing.

Brownie: Jim was like a kid w/ a new toy when he came back from the class. It was so cool to see someone so excited about what they had learned. And after talking to him and Scott, hearing how it was put to work the next week at the range. Now that we are sure we are not moving, I have to get my butt into some of your classes. Lord knows I need some class.... LOL.

Scott: come by tomorrow. That junky holster is ready. Snaps finally came in last night. Gotta love a company that doesn't tell you there is an issue w/ their product and leave you hanging for almost a month.
Sorry I couldn't make it by today, Dave...had to work, m'self this morning. I'll catch up with you Monday or so. I'm sure the junk holster will be quite satisfactory... ;)

#26 ·
Fyi

Thanks Brownie. I just emailed Terry so I can give you guys some $$. The Sergeant Major blessed off on the training. Looks like I get to annoy Scott for a weekend. LOL.

Scott. It is freakin' nice. Better than I hoped. Will try to get a pic up on FCC tonight... have alot to do and still have to spend time w/ the fam.

Cheers!

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.