Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any dealings with Mr. Gutmacher as an attorney. If so, what type of arrangements do you have with him and is their any up front money involved.

Just looking to protect myself just as everyone is would like to do.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I remember correctly, and my memory is spotty at best lately, I read somewhere that a $2500 retainer is for starters. If you were genuinely interested, I'd call his office and find out for sure.

·
Registered
252 Posts
On attorneys, retainers, insurance and the like...

You generally do not need to place an attorney on retainer to be able to hire them when you need them. (Unless an opposing party hires him/her first.)

If you have liability insurance (homeowner's, renter's, general liability, whatever) call your agent to see what coverage you might have for (a) Personal injury AND property damage liability from a negligent discharge, (b) personal injury AND property damage liability for self-defense (intentional discharge, whether you hit the intended target or not.) Also ask whether it matters WHERE the incident occurs. (Whether you're covered only if it occurs at your home/apartment or if it appies when you're out and about.)

If you're worried about the cost of an attorney in a civil or criminal case arising from your concealed carry or self-defense, NRA members can obtain excess liability coverage with a self-defense rider through a program with Lockton Risk. http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/selfdefense.asp It's $175/year with the administrative fee for $100,000 of civil liability coverage (plus cost of defense) and $50,000 of criminal defense reimbursement (payable to you to reimburse criminal defense costs ONLY if you're not found/plead guilty.) For $250,000 liability plus $50,000 criminal defense reimbursement it's $264.

It seems pricey to me and might be cheaper to add a rider to your existing liability policy, although you could probably not acquire the criminal defense reimbursement coverage in that manner.

Finally, if you really want Gutmacher and you're counting on your insurance to pick up the tab, ask whether you have the right to select your attorney and/or whether Gutmacher is on their acceptable/approved list. (For the criminal defense reimbursement offered by Lockton to NRA members, I'm fairly confident the answer is yes. For civil liability, I'm not sure.)

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. Very interesting. I did not know that you might be able to get insurance like that.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts