·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Some points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUk_riToHw4

I looked up some prices:

Z-Clean Alchemist Ammunition (Lead-Free) 9mm 100 Grain Zinc. $10.97 for 50 rounds at ammunitiondepot.com Zinc bullets. Anyone have experience with supplier or ammo? Not to be used on steel targets because of ricochet hazard.

Ammoman.com, SinterFire Greenline Range 9mm Luger 90 gr $25.75 for 50 compared to $11 or less for 50 over the counter. Lead free SD ammo Barnes 9mm Luger +P 20 rounds @ $24 Magtech First Defense 92.6 gr 20 rounds @ 24.50 Compared to Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 25 rounds at $24, not as much difference.

Any RSOs and Range Owners (God bless you!) care to comment?

I have not used any of the no-lead solutions, experience?

Geoff
Who has wanted the French Arcane rounds, but they are banned in the US of A along with other AP classified rounds. : censored

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
Folks,

Some points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUk_riToHw4

I looked up some prices:

Z-Clean Alchemist Ammunition (Lead-Free) 9mm 100 Grain Zinc. $10.97 for 50 rounds at ammunitiondepot.com Zinc bullets. Anyone have experience with supplier or ammo? Not to be used on steel targets because of ricochet hazard.

Ammoman.com, SinterFire Greenline Range 9mm Luger 90 gr $25.75 for 50 compared to $11 or less for 50 over the counter. Lead free SD ammo Barnes 9mm Luger +P 20 rounds @ $24 Magtech First Defense 92.6 gr 20 rounds @ 24.50 Compared to Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX 25 rounds at $24, not as much difference.

Any RSOs and Range Owners (God bless you!) care to comment?

I have not used any of the no-lead solutions, experience?

Geoff
Who has wanted the French Arcane rounds, but they are banned in the US of A along with other AP classified rounds. : censored
I've not used any of those and wouldn't because I like to practice with the same weight I carry and that isn't with 90 or 100 gr 9mm ammo. :thumbsdwn

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I thought I was the only Yankee Marshal fan around here! I find his humor hilarious and his points well reasoned including on this move away from lead ammo. Is anyone besides me old enough to remember the days when you had to replace your car exhaust system every two to three years? I never understood that this was because of leaded gas until leaded gas went away. I haven't had to replace so much as a muffler in the years since except for an 85 Z-28 I had that ate catalytic converters like popcorn.

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
I thought I was the only Yankee Marshal fan around here! I find his humor hilarious and his points well reasoned including on this move away from lead ammo. Is anyone besides me old enough to remember the days when you had to replace your car exhaust system every two to three years? I never understood that this was because of leaded gas until leaded gas went away. I haven't had to replace so much as a muffler in the years since except for an 85 Z-28 I had that ate catalytic converters like popcorn.
Not sure why you think I'm a Yankee Marshall fan. I've seen some of his videos, but a fan of his, not so much. :dunno

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Not sure why you think I'm a Yankee Marshall fan. I've seen some of his videos, but a fan of his, not so much. :dunno
You beat me to the enter key.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I am all for getting the lead out, providing we can find something that is equally as effective. From a quick web search there is little on side by side, LF vs. current, ballistic gel tests in handgun calibers. What is out there seems to indicate decent penetration through soft tissue and denim, but little expansion. I have found almost nothing on energy of LF bullets. However they do comment on velocity in the 1420+ range for 9mm. One thing that seems better, or worse depending on the case is the lower possibility of over-penetration through walls. The downside of that is that few, if any, of the LF rounds I have looked at will penetrate through a windshield. Using LF ammo appears to be better, penetration and expansion, in larger caliber firearms, so I would be back to carrying a larger firearm. It looks like a good idea on the whole if someone can find a way to make the physics work more in LF's favor, but it's too soon for me.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I am all for getting the lead out, providing we can find something that is equally as effective... It looks like a good idea on the whole if someone can find a way to make the physics work more in LF's favor, but it's too soon for me.
Agree. Lead is, after all, a toxic metal. If we could get rid of it completely that would be great. But only if we can find a substitute that works just as well, and doesn't cost an outrageous amount more. Right now, there does not seem to be any substitute that fits the bill. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
54,946 Posts
Agree. Lead is, after all, a toxic metal. If we could get rid of it completely that would be great. But only if we can find a substitute that works just as well, and doesn't cost an outrageous amount more. Right now, there does not seem to be any substitute that fits the bill. Maybe someday.
I'd appreciate a heads up if the industry starts changing over as a matter of course in all bullets. I'd want to short lead futures. :grin

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
I know there are some high density composites being developed with densities similar to lead (11341 kg/m^3) that can be injection molded into parts where lead was traditionally used, but I have no idea if they are cost effective for use as a bullet core or not. :dunno

·
Registered
54,946 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,109 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts