Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently moved out of my parents house and they are officially empty nesters. My parents own a large 2 story home and my father travels frequently (10-23 days a month). When i live at home I kept a H&K USP .40 in a safe in my room. With my mom now being alone at night she has become more vigilant in locking the doors and setting the alarm etc but she wants a gun in case the worst is upon her. She has no prior training or experience with firearms of any kind. She will get her CCW along with it for training purposes. For the most part the firearm would be a bedroom dresser type situation but she has expressed interest in carrying as well. My first hunch is to get her a glock 19, or a Springfield XD 9mm, but I'm not certain yet. Can anyone recommend a weapon that they purchased for a similar situation, also if you know of anyone in the Central Florida area that is good with novice shooters, i'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Welcome, "DH"!
My 1st gun, purchased about 1985 or '86, for a similar purpose, was a S&W Model 19 with 4" barrel.

·
Super Moderator
29,473 Posts
I strongly suggest taking your mom to a range that rents firearms to let her try several candidates to see what she feels comfortable controlling and shooting. As a first handgun, and for the situation you described, I think a revolver would be a good option vice a semiautomatic. However, for your mom's safety, I'd also recommend strongly that your mom receive lots more than the training required for a concealed carry permit! There several people on here in the Orlando area that can recommend good instructors and ranges.

Welcome to the forum and may I suggest you go over to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and well, formally introduce yourself? :grin

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What BeerHunter said, with the addition that if she is just going to keep it in the dresser, go with a larger revolver - 4" - 6" barrel. They are much more pleasant to shoot, so she will be more inclined to practice.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What BeerHunter said, with the addition that if she is just going to keep it in the dresser, go with a larger revolver - 4" - 6" barrel. They are much more pleasant to shoot, so she will be more inclined to practice.
On the flip side, trigger pull and reach might be difficult depending on the size of her hands.

Certainly get to a range and have her try out several guns- few polymer semi autos, few revolvers, etc. with that said, a s&w m&p 9mm gets my vote, followed by a sig p238. Personally, Id stick to 9mm, .380acp, or .38spl out of a medium sized frame revo(no j frames.)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Regarding a good instructor in the central Florida area, I highly recommend our very own 'Swamprat' on this forum. Terry Hall is a great instructor. I've entrusted him with all 3 of my children, my wife, and a daughter in law to receive basic concealed carry training and additional more advanced training. He's great with beginners as well as those more savvy. Google search "Terry Hall Enterprises" for a list of his course and contact info!
PS: Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
You have definitely come to the right place. I see that several members have already responded and truly have given you the best info. Welcome to the place from Palm Coast.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Welcome and you have come to a great forum. Being in Jacksonville, I personally know Rvrctyrngr and he is an excellent instructor who echoes what Surfershooter said about Swamprat.

My own experience with my wife may give you some insight. We decided last year to get our concealed licenses and took the training class together. Having purchased a .40 subcompact for myself earlier in the year, I was concerned that the wife wold not like the recoil (her previous experience was 1 round from a .357 magnum) so the week before the class, based on recommendations here on the forum, I got a S&W M&P .22 semi-automatic. The size was more comfortable than my subcompact and the .22 has almost no recoil. The class went well until we went onto the range for the shooting part. Then it got better. Out of 7 students, my wife outshot every single one of us! Even me!lol The bottom line is that the .22 was a great starter for my wife. Since then she bought me an FNH FNS9 and has appropriated the XD.40sc for herself! Thoroughly enjoys shooting and takes that little blaster, as Rvrctyrngr calls it, and can put one dead center on the bull at 7 yards. One more suggestion, with my wife it was far better to let her train from a professional than myself. That is about wives, Moms may be a different story. YMMV

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Your suggestion of pistol (G19 or Springfield XDSC 9mm) may be fine if she doesn't have super tiny hands, but ultimately, it's her choice. She'll definitely want to try out many different weapons at the range, to see what might be a good fit.
I'd suggest she gets some training too, much more than the typical 1 hour CCW class. Maybe something along the lines of an NRA Certified "Basic Pistol" course for starters.

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
My wife loves her S&W 442 in 38 Special.I have tried to get her into a simi but she won't change. She says it works and not changing. They also make an 8 shot 22 in a J frame.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
As others have already said YOU should not choose a firearm for your mother (or anyone else for that matter.) Only THEY can know when they find that gun that's just right. As I'm sure you already know a handgun is a trade off of size, weight and power. Only the shooter knows when the best compromise has been reached.

If she's comfortable with a J-frame size revolver, then that opens a wide variety of ammunition options. I she prefers a semi-auto and has the hand strength to operate the slide then .380 or 9mm may be the answer. Again only SHE will know how much is too much... Go to a range that rents guns and have her try a variety OR find someone you know who has a decent collection so she can get in the ball park of what fits, what power level she's comfortable with (keep in mind if it's not comfortable to shoot she's less likely to practice.)

Good luck in finding just the right trade-off...

Allan

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Only because you asked - I don't usually recommend specific guns to people, the choice is too much of a personal preference and training commitment question, for anyone to just babble away as to THEIR personal preferences.

So, midsize 4 inch revolver chambered in 357 loaded with 38spl. The added weight will help with recoil and allow the progression to 357 loads after she is comfortable. Personally I would not recommend a short J frame for a house defense gun.

Just Sayin!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
You have received good advice from the preceeding posts.

I would only re-emphasize a few points:

1 - your mother should be the one to orchestrate the search for the gun she likes; However,
she will need some guidance from folks (like yourself, like an instructor) on what she needs to look for -
for example,
- how to grip it (to help establish what fits her hand, length of pull, weight that is comfortable enough for training, etc.),
- how a semi autol works vs. how a revolver works,
- a brief discussion of the relationship(s) between caliber, pistol size/weight, follow-up shots, comfortable carrying,
2 - after trying a few guns to get a feel for what 'feels good' to her; and before she makes a purchase decision,
she should get with a professional trainer (the recommendations made earlier - Scott (riverctyrngr) in Jacksonville, Terry (swamprat) in the Deland/Volusia area - are good recommendations, I don't know who might be in Orlando proper).
3 - the training she gets with a professional trainer, will further refine how she feels with a gun in her hand long enough to tell if it bothers her to practice with it.
4 - if she feels comfortable handlng and manipulating the controls of a semi-automatic pistol, she may feel more comfortable with a semi-auto than worrying about reloading the revolver.
5 - have her hold both the more bulky Glock-type, and the slimmer M&P 9c-type autos, as well as revolvers, to see which feel the most comfortable to her
6 - Since she has already indicated she is interested in a gun for home protection (and, maybe, self defense), don't be too pushy. Let her move at her own pace. Remember, she is still Mom - you know as well as anyone, how she responds to suggestions vs. pushing vs. 'leave me alone'! - If it is important to you that your Mom takes this step, use your head, and what you know about your Mom, to be supportive in whatever way you feel will work best.

It is important to get her instruction from a professional!
It is important to get her a gun she is comfortable with and will want to practice with!
The cost of those two items will be well worth it, in the long run!

Ohh, make sure she understands the difference between ammo for practice and ammo for self-defense (why the difference in cost and the difference in purpose).

Good Luck! . . .and Make it Fun!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would get mom a Ruger LCP for her protection.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Good for her. East Orange Shooting Sports http://www.eastorangess.com/ rents many guns. For $9 she can shoot every rental they have and they have many. They're listed on the website. Nice, clean, even the rest rooms with a very helpful staff. Always females there and she should be quite comfortable.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Good for her. East Orange Shooting Sports http://www.eastorangess.com/ rents many guns. For $9 she can shoot every rental they have and they have many. They're listed on the website. Nice, clean, even the rest rooms with a very helpful staff. Always females there and she should be quite comfortable.

I'd be interested in the "rest rooms with very helpful staff" !! :grin

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
For anyone interested in getting their (older, I'm assuming) mother a firearm, please be sure she is capable of retaining said firearm from a bad guy. This is why we haven't pushed for my own mom to get one. With her age and arthritis, it would most likely be taken from her. And she's nowhere near interested in investing the time and money required to get her to the point to where she would be ok. Basically, ask yourself if you could get the gun from your mom. If so, chances are the bad guy could, too. Just my $0.02.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
For anyone interested in getting their (older, I'm assuming) mother a firearm, please be sure she is capable of retaining said firearm from a bad guy. This is why we haven't pushed for my own mom to get one. With her age and arthritis, it would most likely be taken from her. And she's nowhere near interested in investing the time and money required to get her to the point to where she would be ok. Basically, ask yourself if you could get the gun from your mom. If so, chances are the bad guy could, too. Just my $0.02.

-on Tapatalk
Your point is well taken however I guess it begs the question of "What would be better, that she be slowly beaten to death/ stabbed to death or quickly shot to death with her own gun?"

I knew an old lady, wonderful frail old lady, who was a very good shot on the range, but didn't carry. She was knocked down by a mugger in North Fort Myers a number of years ago and broke her arm, her hand and her hip in the fall. She was never the same after that. It was sad to see her after the attack, knowing how energetic and vital she had been before. I haven't seen her in a few years now so I don't know how she's doing or even if she's still with us. She was about 85 at the time of the attack...

Just something else to chew on...

Allan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts