Florida Concealed Carry banner

Military Permit Questions

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  patrickhenry1776 
#1 ·
Hello from central Florida. As I am new here, Im not sure if this is going in the right category, but I'll try it. I am writing on behalf of my brother and his boys stationed over in Iraq. They are all anxious to get home and get carry permits. They had a few questions I didnt know the answer to:

1. Can they skip the classroom/range portion of the process? (I would hope if you can headspace a Ma Deuce you wouldnt have too much else to learn...)
2. Do they need fingerprints on file? And if so can they bring some done by the MP's?
3. Any other tips or stuff they can do early so they can expedite the process when they get back?

They are all active duty, non-felons of course.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Matt

#2 · (Edited)
They will have to go through the same process as the rest of us except, since they have a DD-214, they will NOT have to take the Concealed Weapon CLass.

A copy of their DD-214 will be accepted in the classroom.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC06.HTM&Title=->2008->Ch0790->Section%2006#0790.06

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

(2) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(5) The applicant shall submit to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services:

(a) A completed application as described in subsection (4).

(b) A nonrefundable license fee not to exceed $85, if he or she has not previously been issued a statewide license, or a nonrefundable license fee not to exceed $70 for renewal of a statewide license. Costs for processing the set of fingerprints as required in paragraph (c) shall be borne by the applicant. However, an individual holding an active certification from the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as a "law enforcement officer," "correctional officer," or "correctional probation officer" as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9) is exempt from the licensing requirements of this section. If any individual holding an active certification from the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as a "law enforcement officer," a "correctional officer," or a "correctional probation officer" as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9) wishes to receive a concealed weapons or firearms license, such person is exempt from the background investigation and all background investigation fees, but shall pay the current license fees regularly required to be paid by nonexempt applicants. Further, a law enforcement officer, a correctional officer, or a correctional probation officer as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), or (3) is exempt from the required fees and background investigation for a period of 1 year subsequent to the date of retirement of said officer as a law enforcement officer, a correctional officer, or a correctional probation officer.

(c) A full set of fingerprints of the applicant administered by a law enforcement agency.

(d) A photocopy of a certificate or an affidavit or document as described in paragraph (2)(h).

(e) A full frontal view color photograph of the applicant taken within the preceding 30 days, in which the head, including hair, measures 7/8 of an inch wide and 11/8 inches high.

#3 ·
OK, Tampa Ssgt, the OP said they were active duty. When you are active duty, you do not have a DD-214 At least I did not receive my 214 till i was discharged.
What do you do if you are active duty?
Just Wondering

#6 ·
When I read this part, I was assuming they were seperating from the military when they got home ...

They are all anxious to get home and get carry permits.
In the case that they are not seperating, then as others have said, I would recommend a copy of their military ID, or calling the DOA office and asking them what other option is available.

#5 ·
1. Can they skip the classroom/range portion of the process? (I would hope if you can headspace a Ma Deuce you wouldnt have too much else to learn...)

Copy of Mil ID is sufficient. That's what I used.

2. Do they need fingerprints on file?

Yes

And if so can they bring some done by the MP's?

No.

3. Any other tips or stuff they can do early so they can expedite the process when they get back?

Go to one of the new 'regional' offices. Folks are reporting 1 week turnarounds.

#8 ·
Have them contact the regional department of agriculture office for a CCW permit appointment. They can get the whole thing taken care of right there and should have the permit in less than two weeks.

Tell them to stay safe and that we thank them.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will send them this link. They were hoping to bring fingerprints from the MP's (which are easily obtainable), but they can just get them done with the instructor or whereever. I will also forward the thanks to them for their service.

Matt
:drinks

#10 ·
They will do the fingerprints right at the regional doa office with a livescan machine. It will be much faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.