Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Kendale Lakes, Miami in a gated community where we have a roving golfcart jockey only at night. I'm retired, so I was home and standing in the kitchen close to front door when I overheard two or more men out in the corridor. Some note of urgency in their voices made me stand still and pay attention. I heard the door to the exit staircase shut closed. Since I live on the fourth floor most people use the elevator, which was not out of order that day. Then I heard as someone began fiddling with the doorknob, as if testing to see if the door was unlocked. It was locked, and he stopped fiddling. They spoke again in what was now clearly identifiable as a Jamaican-style accent. They moved away from my door and to the opposite end of the corridor (away from the exit door). Yes, they could have been looking for someone else's apartment, but then why try the doorknob instead of ringing the bell or just knocking? I immediately notified the condo association office. They told me that everyone who lives on my floor are Spanish-speakers, except for two English-speaking tenants, whom I know and who like me are native Floridians.

Most apartment break-ins happen when someone just leaves the front door unlocked for thieves looking around for a target of opportunity. So keep it locked and also add a deadbolt for good measure, as I did a long long time ago. Many practical developments of home defense scenarios may not proceed beyond that point. If they do, well, call 911 while holding your celphone in your other hand.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I live in Kendale Lakes, Miami in a gated community where we have a roving golfcart jockey only at night. I'm retired, so I was home and standing in the kitchen close to front door when I overheard two or more men out in the corridor. Some note of urgency in their voices made me stand still and pay attention. I heard the door to the exit staircase shut closed. Since I live on the fourth floor most people use the elevator, which was not out of order that day. Then I heard as someone began fiddling with the doorknob, as if testing to see if the door was unlocked. It was locked, and he stopped fiddling. They spoke again in what was now clearly identifiable as a Jamaican-style accent. They moved away from my door and to the opposite end of the corridor (away from the exit door). Yes, they could have been looking for someone else's apartment, but then why try the doorknob instead of ringing the bell or just knocking? I immediately notified the condo association office. They told me that everyone who lives on my floor are Spanish-speakers, except for two English-speaking tenants, whom I know and who like me are native Floridians.

Most apartment break-ins happen when someone just leaves the front door unlocked for thieves looking around for a target of opportunity. So keep it locked and also add a deadbolt for good measure, as I did a long long time ago. Many practical developments of home defense scenarios may not proceed beyond that point. If they do, well, call 911 while holding your celphone in your other hand.
You can never be too careful. There are thousands of home invasions every year. If the door were to be unlocked and you were sleeping, you could have been in extreme danger. You were smart to be aware and observant; those attribute can save your life. You offer good advice: keep your doors locked and call 911 and hold the cell phone in your hand. The important thing is, because of your quick thinking and keeping the door locked, you were not another victim. Good work!

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Maybe fifteen years ago I was living in an apartment maybe fifteen minutes from my current house. Night time....front door knob starts moving back and forth. I walk out the back door with my old Llama 9mm and circle around and walk right up behind the guy. He's piss drunk and trying to put a key in the door, he had been in a fight with his wife, went to the bar and got drunk and thought my apartment was his apartment. I walked him inside and we proceeded to drink more beer, then I was convinced he was calm I walked him back to his wife, two doors down. We remained friends till they moved back to Brazil.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Most of the time I'm not home I'm working but I do have a monitored alarm system in my Apt and seeing as I live on the 3rd floor most of these knuckleheads won't waste thier time trying they want to get in and out without being seen or noticed.
The one thing I have noticed is they prefer 1st and 2nd floors and yes I would not put it past any of them to even try one floor up well atleast my alarm will go off and attract some kind of attention. Doors and windows are armed oh and when I'm here me too.:grin

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Most of the time I'm not home I'm working but I do have a monitored alarm system in my Apt and seeing as I live on the 3rd floor most of these knuckleheads won't waste thier time trying they want to get in and out without being seen or noticed.
The one thing I have noticed is they prefer 1st and 2nd floors and yes I would not put it past any of them to even try one floor up well atleast my alarm will go off and attract some kind of attention. Doors and windows are armed oh and when I'm here me too.:grin
Easy exit, can even jump and run. Was told by a Boca cop that they like the first floor as they can just jump the railing and land 10 feet later and a resident probably won't do the jump to give chase. I would be the wrong person to jump from cause I would land on your shoulders as I'd be right behind ya. I hate crooks soooooooooo badly!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
That should include keeping your patio door locked as well. Had that happen to my sister-in-law. She was at a friends apartment when all of a sudden some strange guy appeared on the balcony from no-where. When he realized the apartment was occupied and the slider locked, he jumped down a floor. When the friends boy friend was notified, he came over and caught the guy one floor down with a DVD player and other "items" in his possession that were clearly not his. He had a female accomplice posted as a look out that didn't alert the crook fast enough because the crook was caught and ended up taking the ride after a few well placed knuckes to the eye sockets. Being at home doesn't mean you have to let your guard down or that you are relieved of your situational awareness.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Scary stuff, glad you were locked up tight.:thumsup

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Can never be to alert and ready to respond, I type this with my sidearm snug and cozy on my belt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I remember once when i was about 15, my room was in the back of our house, and was basically a large human fishtank overlooking the backyard with huge windows for walls, and an exterior door with a deadbolt. Well one night I had just laid down and pulled the covers up when I heard and saw the door knob start to turn slowly. I was scared as all hell because I couldn't see anything outside because there was a dim light in my room and it was pitch black outside, so I knew whoever was out there could probably see me just fine. The deadbolt was locked even though the doorknob wasn't, so the door didn't open. I slowly moved my hand down under my bed and picked up my pneumatic pellet pistol and had it loaded faster than I ever thought possible, and then sat in bed still and quiet and waited. I knew that stupid thing wouldn't have done much to help me if whoever it was actually got in, but I just felt like I couldn't sit there totally defenseless and it was all I had. After about 15 minutes of silence, I jumped up and ran out of that room and into my parents room as fast as I could. Nobody broke in that night, and nothing like that ever happened in that house, but you can bet I keep more appropriate firepower at hand nowadays!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts