Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Get those bang sticks out, dust off the pump / double or auto loader. When was the last time you trained with your shotgun in any type of realistic fighting environment? ….Well here is your chance. :dancingbanana

1 full day, on range training held at the Okeechobee Shooting Sports in Okeechobee County Florida. Class will be limited to first registered 15 student’s maximum. This class reviews both the positive and negative points of using shotguns for practical real applications.

Areas Covered will include:
Fighting with a shotgun, NOT target shooting
NO ALIBIS
Ammunition Selection and Uses
Patterning, trajectory, zeroing and sighting (and abatement of related myths and misconceptions) Types of ammunition, external ballistics and wound ballistics, tactical advantages and disadvantages of shotgun ammunition
Multiple threat management (Tactical)
Shotgun characteristics and accessories as well as different carry techniques
Ready Positions
Grip, Stance, Recoil Control
Loading / unloading
Immediate Action Drills (malfunctions)
Static shooting, forward, 90, 180 and 360 degrees
Shooting adverse angles, kneeling, sitting, prone etc
Shooting on the move, Moving forward , Moving backward, Sideways
Transition Shotgun to Pistol
Transition Pistol to Shotgun
Positions of cover (hard / soft)
Cornering with a Shotgun
Stress fire
Run and gun drill drills

Ammunition Required: 200 rounds of birdshot (7 – 8 shot), 25 rounds of buckshot and 25 rounds of shotgun slugs plus 200 pistol rounds minimum.
Prerequisites: Students must have basic firearms ability and knowledge.

Additional Equipment: Sling, Strong side holster, mag carriers, and shell carriers. Baseball cap and sun screen (sun protection), food and drinks, elbow and knee Pads, along with clothing that will allow for work on the ground (no open top shoes or v neck tops) and that you can get dirty!:grin

You can book online via our website or get more info by contacting me directly on 1 954 298 9103 www.floridafirearmstraining.com

Regular class cost is $200 per student but FCC members save $50, so its just $150.00 Please reference wyf/FCC discount when signing up. Please remember that we have limited space….:thumsup

Cheers
Will

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
uuummmmm, interesting.............have to think abou that one..............dont know if my shoulder will hold up for the slugs..........after 200 rounds of bird.......

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would love to attend but I am still setting up my recent purchase of a Mossberg 590A1.(bayonet also with permission from wife :)) I am still waiting on my purchase of a Knoxx SpecOps stock from Tactical Shotgunner. I could use some advise on sling, shell carriers light , laser ect if anyone has an opinion. If I can get everything set up I may be a last minute addition.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I would love to attend but I am still setting up my recent purchase of a Mossberg 590A1.(bayonet also with permission from wife :)) I am still waiting on my purchase of a Knoxx SpecOps stock from Tactical Shotgunner. I could use some advise on sling, shell carriers light , laser ect if anyone has an opinion. If I can get everything set up I may be a last minute addition.
Word of advice..if you're gonna take Will's class ..leave all the the gadgets at home..otherwise by the end of the class you'll be pulling them off anyways..the Knoxx stock aint a bad deal but you can still shoot with regular stock..Learn how to run the gun first then you can add all your ninja stuff to it if you think you need it..Sling and a shell carrier/s are a must in the class..

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Also as a quick reference you can check out all the classes being held by Will and our other sponsors on a monthly basis by clicking on the Sponsor's Training Calendar at the top of the page :thumsup

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good information on the training calendar, thanks. I am not really concerned about the "ninja" stuff (not necessary, good to know thanks) but I have never used a sling with a shotgun. Should I go single point with a tactical sling or traditional style? Pros and cons of each?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Word of advice..if you're gonna take Will's class ..leave all the the gadgets at home..otherwise by the end of the class you'll be pulling them off anyways..the Knoxx stock aint a bad deal but you can still shoot with regular stock..Learn how to run the gun first then you can add all your ninja stuff to it if you think you need it..Sling and a shell carrier/s are a must in the class..
SwampRat is right, I am not a fan of bolting / adding gadgets to your shotgun. The more you add, the more there is to fail, the heavier the gun is, the harder it is to manipulate (much of this is demonstrated in our class). My suggestion is buy your sling, buy a dump pouch for your ammo and take the class first……then if you feel you need the extra toys, add them after.

Slings:
Mounting the sling on the side of the Shotgun helps keep it in place when you transition. (The bottom sling mounts are designed to be used with simple carry straps). By mounting the sling to the side of the weapon the sling in more in line with the bore axis and will help keep the weapon flat against your chest should you need to transition to your secondary firearm.

The location of the rear sling point is personal preference. Mounting the sling to the side of the stock closer to your shoulder is going to give you more tension in the sling and provide for a closer fit to your body when you don't have it slung. (However in doing this it is very likely that you will have to duck out of your sling in order to transition to your weak side). A receiver mount sling point, being farther away from your shoulder, will make transitions from strong side to weak side a little easier depending on how you have you sling adjusted.

Personally I would look at the Urban ERT single point sling (http://www.urbanertslings.com/index.html) with the 2 point adaptor (gives the ability to switch between as needed) especially if your putting a Knox on it. If your looking for just a simple 2 point sling (with your standard stock), I would go with a VICKERS COMBAT APPLICATIONS SLING. http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=79

Shell carriers…I would go with the Tacstar http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/tacstar-rnd-sidesaddle-for-mossberg-500590-and-590da-p-165.html?osCsid=979ed6c895d94c568cb9d8dd6e1744ff
It’s cheap and works.

Dump Pouch…..to many options to list. I would go with this one: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE825-1.html

Hope this helped!:thumsup

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, this class is next Friday. If you ever wanted to train with your shotgun, nows the time to do it!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Standby, all I got as far as shotgun is a Remington 870 that I used to shoot trap with. Would it do for purposes of taking the class?

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Can't get out of my trip....will watch for future classes

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Standby, all I got as far as shotgun is a Remington 870 that I used to shoot trap with. Would it do for purposes of taking the class?
870 will work just fine.:thumsup In reality, you are going to fight with the gun you have, so if its a 870 defense, a trap gun, a double barrel or a auto loader...all will work and all can be used.

Dont worry if you do not have a sling, we can work around that too.:drinks

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
ill have to wait on this one. I just took a couple days off and getting friday off on Memorial weekend is not going to happen...............

·
Registered
180 Posts
Doc,

It was a pleasure to meet you today.....and the training was great...I know I had fun......looking forward to doing it again.
Always remember......train the way you fight and fight the way you train.....NO ALIBIS

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Scott, Sorry about the weather, it sucked.

You did great, showed me up a few times (good job).....NO ALIBIS.

Shame we could not do more, but give it a few more weeks.......the new ranges are going to be AWSOME!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Scott and Will, it was a pleasure shooting with both of you. We will have to do it again soon.
It was a great learning experience. Hopefully next time when I move while I shoot I will have practiced it enought that my coordination will permit me to cycle the shotgun and walk at the same time.

Again, thank you both

·
Registered
180 Posts
You did great, showed me up a few times (good job).....NO ALIBIS.
Said the spider to the fly.
I may be big but I hope I am not as gullible as I look. I know some of the skills you have and I know a compasionatle instructor can elect to either hit the target or miss to suit the needs of the pupil.
That being said, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often...........maybe not so much.....lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts