Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything illegal about wearing a mask while carrying?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Is there anything illegal about wearing a mask while carrying?
What leads you to question the legality? I ask only because for some reason tons of people seem to be worried about this - for reasons I cannot divine.

The answer to your question is "it's not illegal so long as you don't plan to violate anybody's rights or commit any crimes".

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
^^^ Bingo.

My understanding is that wearing a mask WHILE COMMITTING A CRIME incurs additional charges and penalties. But, there is no law against wearing a mask while carrying a legally concealed firearm.

If it ain't ILlegal, it's legal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What leads you to question the legality? I ask only because for some reason tons of people seem to be worried about this - for reasons I cannot divine.

The answer to your question is "it's not illegal so long as you don't plan to violate anybody's rights or commit any crimes".
Because I was asked and I was 100% sure.
It want change my actions but I want to give the best answer I could find.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,386 Posts

Social Media, all of them, Facebook, instagram, Twitter, and tick tick...(whatever the hell that is) is lit up with posts, memes and videos of folks declaring it’s a felony in most states to wear a mask or obscure your face while carrying or in possession of a firearm. It’s a rumor spreading like COVID 19. :LOL: ;)

Some claim to be firearm or 2A supporters. Some leave their mom’s basement long enough to claim to be some kind of expert. I suspect many are Antifa/BLM slime tired of running home to mommy with wet pants encountering armed resistance.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Social Media, all of them, Facebook, instagram, Twitter, and tick tick...(whatever the hell that is) is lit up with posts, memes and videos of folks declaring it’s a felony in most states to wear a mask or obscure your face while carrying or in possession of a firearm. It’s a rumor spreading like COVID 19. :LOL: ;)

Some claim to be firearm or 2A supporters. Some leave their mom’s basement long enough to claim to be some kind of expert. I suspect many are Antifa/BLM slime tired of running home to mommy with wet pants encountering armed resistance.
Yeah, I see it all over Facebook, etc. I'd love to know why all these dipsticks are making these claims and making people worry about this crap.

·
Registered
20,263 Posts
Yeah, I see it all over Facebook, etc. I'd love to know why all these dipsticks are making these claims and making people worry about this crap.
quite simply...because they can...

·
Super Moderator
26,364 Posts
quite simply...because they can...
That's it in a nutshell (pardon the pun). Anyone on social media can say anything, whether it's true or not, and a large segment of the readers will take it all as gospel. Many of the rest turn it into a digital shouting match! SCROOM!

Reactions: JerrySea

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I think I can explain the mystery. There is an old law on the books which was promulgated in about 1950. It was designed to fight the KKK and their wearing masks or hoods.Technically, it’s still on the books. There was a famous Florida Supreme Court case that held the law was unconstitutionally vague.

There is an additional provision of the statute called “applicability” and it basically talks about the intent involved with wearing a mask. There are several bad things enumerated, four actually. If you wear the mask to do one of the four bad things, then you could be in trouble.

The problem with these Facebook ninjas as I call them is that so many of them are just crying out for attention. “Look at me, I’m important, I’m a rebel, I won’t wear a mask“ people who absolutely don’t have a clue are dishing out legal advice virtually everywhere on social media. Some of the things they say are so ludicrous it makes me cringe.

In the event, I think the statutes mentioned above explain the mystery and all the ignorant hype.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I think I can explain the mystery. There is an old law on the books which was promulgated in about 1950. It was designed to fight the KKK and their wearing masks or hoods.Technically, it’s still on the books. There was a famous Florida Supreme Court case that held the law was unconstitutionally vague.

There is an additional provision of the statute called “applicability” and it basically talks about the intent involved with wearing a mask. There are several bad things enumerated, four actually. If you wear the mask to do one of the four bad things, then you could be in trouble.

The problem with these Facebook ninjas as I call them is that so many of them are just crying out for attention. “Look at me, I’m important, I’m a rebel, I won’t wear a mask“ people who absolutely don’t have a clue are dishing out legal advice virtually everywhere on social media. Some of the things they say are so ludicrous it makes me cringe.

In the event, I think the statutes mentioned above explain the mystery and all the ignorant hype.
I agree that the statutes you referenced are surely the basis for a lot of people thinking that masks are illegal (if they didn't read far enough to get to the "applicability" section) but none of those statutes talk about carrying guns at all. They generally prohibit adults wearing a mask in most public places, with limited exceptions for theatrical productions, holiday costumes, PPE, etc., later being amended to include the "applicability" section you referenced.

I know that stupidity needs no excuses but even if these people were somehow miraculously aware of a now-mostly-invalidated law, how did they make the leap to "while carrying a gun"?

Curious, it is.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I think it’s a legitimate question. I’ve had almost a dozen people call me and ask. I imagine people think of armed robberies and mask wearing and then find themselves concerned as to whether or not they can wear a mask and carry a gun at the same time.

Combine that with a Facebook blowhard giving advice and you can see the problem.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I agree shark. It’s a fair question and I’ve gladly answered it myself several times now. I don’t really believe in dumb questions. You can’t learn without asking. I never present myself as an authority. Just someone with my own, researched opinion.

Its these Facebook ninjas as you say who speak with false authority that I enjoy putting down. :devilish:

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I think it’s a legitimate question. I’ve had almost a dozen people call me and ask. I imagine people think of armed robberies and mask wearing and then find themselves concerned as to whether or not they can wear a mask and carry a gun at the same time.

Combine that with a Facebook blowhard giving advice and you can see the problem.
I agree shark. It’s a fair question and I’ve gladly answered it myself several times now. I don’t really believe in dumb questions. You can’t learn without asking. I never present myself as an authority. Just someone with my own, researched opinion.

Its these Facebook ninjas as you say who speak with false authority that I enjoy putting down. :devilish:
I agree with both. It wasn't my intent to give the OP a hard time - I hope it didn't seem that way. I was just trying to find out the origins of this particular concern since it seems so pervasive.

Amusingly, about 30 minutes after I posted my answer to this, I received a text from a good friend. It said "Question for you: if I have a CCW for Florida can I wear a mask?". I literally LOL'd. I called him back, answered his question, and inquired as to the source of his concern. He said a friend of his asked him and his answer was "I don't know, but I know someone who does". :)

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
Had the same exact conversation with a friend yesterday at lunch. Her friend, who is married to a cop... and HE said, "it's illegal to wear a mask and carry concealed."

Yeah... no. Don't get legal advice from cops eh? :) Well... some know. Some don't. But, cops are not categorically knowledgeable about CCW laws.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I didn’t take your comments as a slight to the OP Brian.

Ive long said this group is pretty good at that sort of thing. I’m sure we’ve all seen forums that go straight to the canned “the search function is your friend“ response to newbies posing questions asked and answered over and over.

IMHO that’s just not this group most the time. (y)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Once I heard "use the search function" for the 3rd or so time in it's various wording to me I started putting more effort into doing that in turn started less threads, creating less action on the forum.

Think of it as dead air on the radio, what happens when the the radio is silent? They change the station.

This subject is in the wrong thread ---- MODS !!!

·
Super Moderator
26,364 Posts
Once I heard "use the search function" for the 3rd or so time in it's various wording to me I started putting more effort into doing that in turn started less threads, creating less action on the forum.

Think of it as dead air on the radio, what happens when the the radio is silent? They change the station.

This subject is in the wrong thread ---- MODS !!!
Since it was asked in the specific context of carrying while masked up, it's ok that it's posted in the Carry Issues section. 😎

Reactions: gandrfab

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Had the same exact conversation with a friend yesterday at lunch. Her friend, who is married to a cop... and HE said, "it's illegal to wear a mask and carry concealed."

Yeah... no. Don't get legal advice from cops eh? :) Well... some know. Some don't. But, cops are not categorically knowledgeable about CCW laws.
Bingo! It's not just dipshits on social media, it's folks who should ACTUALLY KNOW the law.....and don't! Had the same question a few weeks ago when a couple retired cops I work with, told me it was a felony when I told them I carried when going to the bank, but couldn't recite the specific statute!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts