Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is exactly why you should always carry when your feeling lazy and don't feel like strapping on your piece think about it again the BG is not goin to call ahead and mke an appointment another reason to pocket carry as well Dead eye you were right on the money. Ok after reading this article what would you do this man was shot as he was complying once i dig in my pocket i may get one but i will return the favor.
http://www.local6.com/news/18185479/detail.html

Man Shot While Trying To Check In To Hotel
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A man on his way to check in at a University of Central Florida-area hotel was shot several times even though he complied with two robbers' demands, Orange County sheriff's deputies said.

The victim was airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center with what were believed to be non-life-threatening injuries after being shot at about 9:15 p.m. Monday in the parking lot of the Residence Inn, located at 11651 University Blvd.

The man was struck multiple times in the hand and buttocks, Orange County sheriff's deputies said.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sounds as if the BGs were a bit nervous of what might have been pulled out of his pockets and shot prematurely? Who knows.

What would I do? Hopefully, I'd be aware of them approaching and convince them that robbing me would be a very bad idea. If it went wrong anyway, if able, I'd do my level best to return fire--only I would aim for center mass (and not the @ss).

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
You might as well assume that your going to get shot once your held at gunpont during a robbery. So we better start practicing the quick draw and shoot from the hip technique. I'm very serious. These BG's don't give a crap if you complied with their demands or not.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is a definite change in the air. Two locals in different locations were shot by the robber even though they complied with demands. The old idea of give them the money and all will be OK just does not work today.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
WTF is going on in FL??? isn't that like the 3rd shooting in 2 weeks?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ok, What does the law say about shooting?
You have to feel like your life is in jeopardy before you can shoot?
I think if i see a gun and he is looking in my direction, i am going to feel like i am in danger.:rolf

At that point, my hand is going to be gripping my gun, ready to pull.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of these knuckleheads don't even think somebodys goi to be pocket carrying once you dig in your pocket hes gonna be thinking your gettin your cash then give it to him.:ak

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've thought about this long and hard... and anyone who wants to rob me is going to end up in a gunfight with me. It's as simple as that, even if someone gets the drop on me and I don't realize it until I've got a gun pointed my way. I may pull and drop my wallet or car keys, with the illusion of complying... but I'm going to be drawing my gun with my other hand. I don't trust anyone who robs me to not shoot me afterward.

I've been training my draw and have no illusions that I'm not likely to get the first shot off unless my assailant doesn't realize I'm drawing until it's too late or he isn't mentally prepared to fire when I first realize he's armed. I'll be as prepared as I can be to draw and fire, and I've already made my decision that I will attempt to draw and fire upon anyone who seeks to rob me.

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think nobody can assume that the BG will let you live in FL. if you use a gun in a crime its 10 yrs, shoot the gun its 20 yrs, and shoot someone its life. So if your going to use a gun why not just kill them. IMO if you see a gun assume that your life is in danger and shoot to stop the threat, if he or shee dies the fault is theirs. Above all else defend you and yours.

·
Registered
469 Posts
+1, Str8Shooter. This is probably the most common of assault scenarios. Hopefully there is some situational awareness going on that will help give you the edge enough to at least counter the threat, but we're all human and can fail, leading to getting caught unawares.

I think I would do the same, tell them that I'm going for my wallet and pull out my battle buddy. Hopefully I can reduce my profile by turning sideways, but I'm not confident at all that this would make good tactical sense as it would almost force me to shoot one-handed, which won't make me accurate.
Anyone else think of tactics that could be of help in this scenario?

Practice shooting one handed with strong hand and weak hand.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
+1, Str8Shooter. This is probably the most common of assault scenarios. Hopefully there is some situational awareness going on that will help give you the edge enough to at least counter the threat, but we're all human and can fail, leading to getting caught unawares.

I think I would do the same, tell them that I'm going for my wallet and pull out my battle buddy. Hopefully I can reduce my profile by turning sideways, but I'm not confident at all that this would make good tactical sense as it would almost force me to shoot one-handed, which won't make me accurate.

At mugging distance you probably won't have time to get a two-handed grip, but in my experience (shooting IDPA, not real BGs) it's tough to miss at arm's length.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quite true, and good point. I guess I'll have to start doing some drills to get used to the idea. :) :thumsup

·
Registered
3,224 Posts

At bad breath distance if you cant draw and fire against an armed attacker from 1/4-1/2 hip (one handed point shoot) you just lost the gun fight..You most likely will never get two hands on, much less see the sights at anything under 20'...BTDT..got the T-Shirt...Some H2H training is highly recommended along with the gun skills it takes to up your percentages of survival..

·
Registered
85 Posts
"Here's my cash" hand them money clip,
"Here's my car keys" hand them keys,
(Now he's holding his gun and 2 other things he cares about)
"Here's my cell phone" BangBangBangBangBangBangBang .....

·
Registered
279 Posts
"Here's my cash" hand them money clip,
"Here's my car keys" hand them keys,
(Now he's holding his gun and 2 other things he cares about)
"Here's my cell phone" BangBangBangBangBangBangBang .....
Now that's what I call ending a date with a bang bang!

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
An oldie but goodie dredged up from the depths of obscurity

·
Banned
4,530 Posts
At bad breath distance if you cant draw and fire against an armed attacker from 1/4-1/2 hip (one handed point shoot) you just lost the gun fight..You most likely will never get two hands on, much less see the sights at anything under 20'...BTDT..got the T-Shirt...Some H2H training is highly recommended along with the gun skills it takes to up your percentages of survival..
Practice, practice, practice....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zJlsc8GU50

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
WTF is going on in FL??? isn't that like the 3rd shooting in 2 weeks?
That's just the ones you heard about. Bunches more. I see several in various Orlando media every week. Seems like barely a day goes by without one around the Greater Orlando area.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
You might as well assume that your going to get shot once your held at gunpont during a robbery. So we better start practicing the quick draw and shoot from the hip technique. I'm very serious. These BG's don't give a crap if you complied with their demands or not.

+1
Don't have your experience but practice draw and firing (multi taps) every week.
I shoot from the hip and eye level.
I try to practice for the real world events.:ak

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
+1
Don't have your experience but practice draw and firing (multi taps) every week.
I shoot from the hip and eye level.
I try to practice for the real world events.:ak
Franklin, I was at the range last week with my shooting buddy and we put up silhouette (man) targets at about 25 feet. I was practicing with my little PF-9 hand shredder and lamenting the fact I was hitting the target, consistantly in the groin and left thigh area (anticipating "kick" and jerking slightly from tightening at trigger fire point).

He pointed out to me that he would probably rather be dead than in the condition of my target, LOL! I was definitely, "Firing for effect". With my Glock 17, I would have been center of mass almost totally consistantly BUT would probably not opt to carry it in all situations. With the little pocket cannon, my friend has started calling me , "The sterilizer"!:D

If I thought target accuracy as a tactical cop needs was truly important for my current purposes for carry, I would use the Glock exclusively BUT the Kel Tec is much more concealable and comfortable for me to ALWAYS have ready.

I should point out my early shooting was all with S&W Revolvers using 38 Special Police issued ammo. A semi auto is a much different skill and I find the little gun is as accurate for the first few rounds THEN the wear and tear shows. Practice, practice, practice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts