1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
If these two guys don't get charged with something, then I can only conclude that Glynn County is full of crooked racist cops/DAs. Based on what I've read in several different articles, these guys had no lawful authority or probable cause to even pursue this individual, much less detain him at gunpoint. And you don't get to claim self-defense when you're the aggressor.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Don't know the details. Don't know Georgia law. Sounds a bit fishy, but I would not judge based only on the information here.

One thing I will say is that I, personally, would absolutely NEVER go chasing someone down with a shotgun. If he is not an imminent threat to me and mine, then I am going to call 911 and be a good witness. Again, personal opinion, but that is what I think the two men who did the shooting SHOULD have done in this case.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
According to a news report I read this morning, the men in the white truck were out there watching for people in their neighborhood who didn't belong there - as a result of a recent string of burglaries. Their version is they asked the jogger to stop so they could ask who he was/why he was there. They claim that as the man rounded the truck he ran at the man holding the shotgun and tried to grab it away from him, and that's when the shooting started.

GA does have some curious laws about citizens intervening if they believe criminal actions are happening, even effecting an arrest, far different from FL.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
According to a news report I read this morning, the men in the white truck were out there watching for people in their neighborhood who didn't belong there - as a result of a recent string of burglaries. Their version is they asked the jogger to stop so they could ask who he was/why he was there. They claim that as the man rounded the truck he ran at the man holding the shotgun and tried to grab it away from him, and that's when the shooting started.

GA does have some curious laws about citizens intervening if they believe criminal actions are happening, even effecting an arrest, far different from FL.
The crime has to have been committed in their presence in order to effect a citizne's arrest which, by their own admission, did not happen. Those two hayseeds had no lawful authority to try and detain Arbery at gunpoint and had he been armed, he would have been completely within his rights to shoot them both.

As to why Arbery chose to go after the man with the shotgun, they say that if you're unarmed you should run from the knife but charge the gun. Here we had two armed white guys in a pick-up truck chasing an unarmed black man down the street in Gooberville, Georgia...do you think perhaps Arbery had reason to fear for his life? I'm guessing he figured he had nothing to lose and went for the gun.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
It's been all over Fox News, today. They've been interviewing everyone under the sun. They even quoted Biden as saying that he (victim) needs to get justice. It looks like there will be a grand jury convened. And as any ham sandwich will tell you.... 🍿

·
Registered
5,730 Posts

I believe that is BS. Why was the person in the vehicle filming at the “right time” and with no (not a single peep) reaction to the shooting? Pre- meditating if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
The crime has to have been committed in their presence in order to effect a citizne's arrest which, by their own admission, did not happen. Those two hayseeds had no lawful authority to try and detain Arbery at gunpoint and had he been armed, he would have been completely within his rights to shoot them both.

As to why Arbery chose to go after the man with the shotgun, they say that if you're unarmed you should run from the knife but charge the gun. Here we had two armed white guys in a pick-up truck chasing an unarmed black man down the street in Gooberville, Georgia...do you think perhaps Arbery had reason to fear for his life? I'm guessing he figured he had nothing to lose and went for the gun.
I hear there is now an audio tape of the 911 call the two made, and when the dispatcher asked "What crime are you currently witnessing...." the reply was something to the effect of, "he's black and he doesn't belong in this neighborhood." 🍿

·
Registered
54,224 Posts
The shotgun guy is guilty of several crimes, the passenger may get off, or he may be charged as an accomplice. If in deed the comment to the dispatcher is correct, at least one of them is guilty of a hate/racial crime.

·
Registered
935 Posts
From the reports I have read, there was no decision to involve a grand jury until the video posted was found. I believe this was a murder, an opinion of course.

·
Super Moderator
26,033 Posts
The shotgun guy is guilty of several crimes, the passenger may get off, or he may be charged as an accomplice. If in deed the comment to the dispatcher is correct, at least one of them is guilty of a hate/racial crime.
Agreed. I'm also curious if the road was public or private? Although I don't know GA law and of course, IANAL, but I believe if the jogger was on a public road and not committing a crime, I don't believe those guys in the vehicles had any authority to even try and impede and question the jogger. Obviously I don't have all the facts but IMHO there's very little room to spin what happened in that video away from a criminal homicide.

·
Super Moderator
10,564 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,033 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I believe that is BS. Why was the person in the vehicle filming at the “right time” and with no (not a single peep) reaction to the shooting? Pre- meditating if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the record I think it's BS too. I was only reporting what I read today and up until then I'd not heard their version of what happened.
While GA does have some quirky laws regarding citizens intervening in stopping crimes, I think deadeyedick's comment is spot on. Whatever Mr. Arbery was doing at the time, it did not appear to be a crime and he didn't appear to be an aggressor until after some kind of armed confrontation. Billy Bob and Bubba were way out of their league taking any action on their own.

We may not have another Trayvon, but we sure have two more Zimmermans.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Except this time there doesn't appear to be any justification for the shooting.
(y)(y)(y) I can't like this post enough! :D
I'm not arguing this but it could be argued.
There was no threat and Arbery could have kept on or about his run until he turned ran at the gun man and tried to grab or fight for the shot gun.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
I'm not arguing this but it could be argued.
There was no threat and Arbery could have kept on or about his run until he turned ran at the gun man and tried to grab or fight for the shot gun.
It could also be argued that Arbery, out for a jog and having committed no crime, reasonably believed he was about to be murdered by two armed men who pursued and confronted him with no legal justification. Continuing on his run would not have diminished in the least his vulnerability to being shot and killed, so Arbery's actions in attempting to disarm one of his assailants were completely defensive in nature.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts