1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
More overkill by the idiots that think the honest citizens are responsible for what the thieves and criminals do.

Personally, I don't think it is a persons responsibility to have to lock up anything,
All Burglars, Thieves & Criminals caught in action need to be put to death immediately.
Why are the VICTIMS being the ones PUNISHED ??????????:dunno
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
More overkill by the idiots that think the honest citizens are responsible for what the thieves and criminals do.

Personally, I don't think it is a persons responsibility to have to lock up anything,
All Burglars, Thieves & Criminals caught in action need to be put to death immediately.
Why are the VICTIMS being the ones PUNISHED ??????????:dunno
Ronnie
most of the time I certainly agree with this. But people need to be held responsible for their actions. Was the weapon reasonably secured then stolen?
If someone leave a car on a hill without remembering to set the parking brake or put the shift into gear or park and the car rolls down hill with your logic it was only an accident and the driver should not be responsible?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I lived in NJ a line I heard often enough from youths (people my age at the time)
The car was unlocked, if he didn't want me to have it he would have locked his car. Now it's mine.
That included anything in the car, whether locked or not didn't really matter but if the car was unlocked they felt they did no wrong.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
When I lived in NJ a line I heard often enough from youths (people my age at the time)
The car was unlocked, if he didn't want me to have it he would have locked his car. Now it's mine.
That included anything in the car, whether locked or not didn't really matter but if the car was unlocked they felt they did no wrong.
I agree, stealing is JUST AS WRONG as not being responsible for ones actions.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
So what exactly is the big shocker with this story? It states right in the article that
The new law, which took effect on Oct. 1, prohibits storing a handgun in an unattended motor vehicle if it is not in the trunk, a locked safe or a locked glove box.
And where was his stored? In an UNlocked glove compartment inside an UNlocked car. Say what you will about that law, the fact is it is the law and there's no good reason to expect that law to pass and then be treated differently than any other law.

It's CT, what can one say? The only difference between CT and CA is in CT the libs generally have their own money to spend on themselves whereas they don't in CA.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
If I were that guy I'd totally be wondering how the thief picked the lock on my car. Memory's a fickle beach.

-on Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts
most of the time I certainly agree with this. But people need to be held responsible for their actions. Was the weapon reasonably secured then stolen?
If someone leave a car on a hill without remembering to set the parking brake or put the shift into gear or park and the car rolls down hill with your logic it was only an accident and the driver should not be responsible?
Perfectly logical analogy. :thumsup

Although one shouldn't have to worry about thieves taking one's property, theives have existed for eons and do what theives do. So anyone that wants to try and keep their property should take precautions to make it as difficult as possible for thieves to succeed in their goal. That's why most people lock the doors and windows of their home. Since firearm theft is such a problem, one should take precautions that their firearm is hard for anyone unauthorized to access it when not in use. CT passed a law effective 01 OCT 2019 and a firearm owner didn't comply with the law. So good law or bad, it is current law and he or she has only themselves to blame for having to suffer the consequences.

The UNlocked glovebox or compartment of an UNlocked automobile is safe storage of a firearm, said no one! :doh

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
This 26 yr old broke the law in his state that said it's a crime to leave an unattended, unlocked firearm in his car. He was rightfully arrested and will probably be convicted. This is not some law abiding citizen having his 2A rights infringed upon. Every firearm owner has an obligation to "reasonably" secure their weapons from unauthorized access or theft, regardless if the law requires it or not.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
The new law which is linked in the article cites this topic on page six.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/rpt/pdf/2019-R-0120.pdf

I won’t argue whether or not leaving a gun in a car is irresponsible or not.
I also don’t like the use of the word ‘lifted’ instead of stolen in the article.
But nowhere in the new law does it say if one has a gun stolen from their car that the owner forfeits his right to own other guns, that the police can then go sieze the rest of the owners guns and or revoke ones concealed permit?

The new law says on page 6 that one can be charged with a misdemeanor up to a felony. Article doesn’t say he was charged with a felony either?
So how do they connect the dots and feel they have the right to go take the rest of his guns?
Being it’s Ct and he had an AR15 I wonder if they knew this is what he had and just used it as a reason to go take his AR?
Think if he had a Marlin .22 they would have gone to his house and take it?

Leave one in your car and it gets stolen. Shame on you for being foolish.
But nowhere in the new law does it say ‘person who has a gun stolen from a vehicle shall forfeit all his gun.’
This sounds to me like cowcrap!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
It might have something to do with this part of the bill. He was charged with negligent storage of a firearm.

Sec. 3. Section 53a-217a of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2019):

(c)Criminally negligent storage of a firearm is a class D felony.
I don't have any idea if his arrest on a felony charge trips some other legal wire that sends the cops to his home for weapons or not. It seems like it shouldn't, since all we have is an arrest and charges filed, no judicial finding as to his case, but it IS CT and their voters have some really strange views when it comes to the law.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
It might have something to do with this part of the bill. He was charged with negligent storage of a firearm.

I don't have any idea if his arrest on a felony charge trips some other legal wire that sends the cops to his home for weapons or not. It seems like it shouldn't, since all we have is an arrest and charges filed, no judicial finding as to his case, but it IS CT and their voters have some really strange views when it comes to the law.
Like I said I just wonder if he had registered his AR, they checked their list to see what else he owned and use it as an opportunity to go take another evil black rifle away from its owner. Had it been a Marlin papoose you think they would have done the same?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Well I think in the eyes of many folks who live up that way, a Marlin might as well be a Barrett .50 or an M-60. They don't make distinctions between them, guns are viewed like high voltage electricity - something people should stay well clear of unless you have special training, rubber gloves, and long, fiberglass poles. It's hard for them to view these issues as ones of individual rights because they are frightened of the thought of even being around a gun. To many of them, if someone near them has a gun, they feel safer knowing the police will come and take it away. It's not a matter of individual rights to them, it's a matter of immediate personal safety.

It's not right, but that's the way a lot of them think.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
And to think, that brain dead states motto is "Consitution State"

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
This 26 yr old broke the law in his state that said it's a crime to leave an unattended, unlocked firearm in his car. He was rightfully arrested and will probably be convicted. This is not some law abiding citizen having his 2A rights infringed upon. Every firearm owner has an obligation to "reasonably" secure their weapons from unauthorized access or theft, regardless if the law requires it or not.
amen!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We can assume laws will continue to be written.
This is one of those laws where a good guy is punished because a bad guy broke another law.

Yes please embrace more laws for our own good.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I still say it was overkill by the GESTAPO
Of course leaving a gun in a car is 100% stupid if not in a lock box and / OR leaving the car doors unlocked.
How many just on this forum mentioned that they leave a gun in a car when going into the POST OFFICE,or Government building??????? (((WAFFLE HOUSE? :rofl)))
Look at all of the Police cars broken into and guns stolen. ( It just happened again in Orlando last week))
Taking the guys guns and his permit was just plain """WRONG"""
Ronnie

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
While I do not agree with the law, the individual broke it, and suffered the repercussions of breaking that law.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts